Raven

31 May 2007, 12:04 pm

I'm currently using Linux Mint.

I'd like to hear what others are using.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 12:53 pm

Ubuntu Feisty Fawn + Beryl. Actively. I have various others installed, but not using them.

Various others on my old tower case, that I turned on for the first time a day or so ago, to find that the battery had gone flat.

Debian on the Compaq laptop. It desperately needs updating, but to what, I'm not sure.

TinyLinux (off 18 floppies) on the silly other laptop (Toshiba). Just for fun.

I used SuSE for a long while, switched to Mandrake, then Debian, currently Ubuntu. Many others, I've dabbled with, but not used for any great time. Except... Knoppix is nice, and the "Insert" CD is excellent for fixing broken Microsoft tat.

Shleed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2007, 1:27 pm

Ubuntu and Knoppix... used to have an old copy of Redhat too.

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2007, 3:22 pm

I have Arch Linux at home (beware, it's not for beginners), Damn Small Linux (a Knoppix remaster) and Xubuntu (it's like Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, but uses Xfce instead of Gnome). At school, I always boot from my own remaster of Puppy Linux on my 2 GB USB flash drive. Puppy is by far my favourite, it's small, pretty and very easy to use. I'm about to install KateOS 3.2 at home, has anyone tried it?

eblonk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2007, 3:44 pm

I´ve Ubuntu. In accordance with the command ´Go forth and multiboot´ I became bi-OS and it sits on the same machine as WinXP.

matheux
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jun 2007, 8:34 pm

I've used Red Hat, Mandrake, Source Mage, and currently Kubuntu. When the installer offered to use volume groups, I set it up that way.

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jun 2007, 8:59 pm

OK, I tried Kate OS, and I'm sticking to it. :D Configuring X was a pain, because it didn't autodetect my monitor, but otherwise, it's great for graphics, multimedia and office work. It lacks some tools on the development side, though; Gentoo is much better as a programming environment. But it allowed me to set up my DSL router and my scanner very easily, which is something other distros haven't been able to do.

The best of all: it's sooo pretty! :D

More information:
http://www.kateos.org

lau
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:16 am

Stellian wrote:
OK, I tried Kate OS, and I'm sticking to it. :D

Looks interesting, and I'm surprised I haven't come across it before.

Unfortunate name though. It sort of "gets my back up" when someone releases a distribution based on the Linux OS, and then pretends that they are some sort of new OS. They are not. They may have some patches into Linux, but that's all.

So, maybe I have come across it before, but have instantly been turned off by the pretension involved. Still, that's my loss, I gather. :)

Stellian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2007, 3:20 pm

lau wrote:
Stellian wrote:
OK, I tried Kate OS, and I'm sticking to it. :D

Looks interesting, and I'm surprised I haven't come across it before.

Unfortunate name though. It sort of "gets my back up" when someone releases a distribution based on the Linux OS, and then pretends that they are some sort of new OS. They are not. They may have some patches into Linux, but that's all.

So, maybe I have come across it before, but have instantly been turned off by the pretension involved. Still, that's my loss, I gather. :)

That was my first impression too! :) You're right, it sounds really pretentious, especially since KateOS started as a Slackware remaster. I don't care much about the "philosophy" behind a distribution anyway.

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 7:01 pm

Mandriva, Kubuntu, PC BSD, Knoppix

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:22 pm

The $15 Yardsale Computer that I got today currently has Redhat 9 freshly installed. I am currently downloading Scientific 5, which is a Redhat Enterprise clone by Fermilabs and CERN.

Specs on the $15 system:

P3 @ 550 Mhz (Dell L550r, CA 1999)
128 MB PC133 RAM
10.5 GB HDD
4X CDR
Intel 810 graphics chipset (16MB VRAM?)
IBM G74 17" Monitor
IBM Keyboard ( Last of the solid ones from the Mid 1990's)
3 Button Mouse (Defunct, but currently using MS Intellimouse)

FWIW, I also have Munjoy Linux ( Debian based), Gnoppix, a SuSe Liveboot, Solaris 10, and BSDeviant (Live Boot BSD) on CD as well.

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jun 2007, 12:03 pm

Wow thats a great $15 pc. If yo can chuck in some secondhand pc133 ram, that would be perfect :-)

Oh and I forgot to say: Debian all the way. Laptop and workstation

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 6:37 pm

I started testing out linux Knoppix CDs in the early part of 2004. Then I installed Mandrake 10.0 on June 3rd. I stayed with the distro since then because I'm used to it. I'm now running Mandriva 2007.0. I'm going to try more distros again soon since there are more that will run better now. I've also used Ubuntu, Fedora Core 2,3, etc for class work. I can't keep track of what the newest version numbers are anymore.

The monitor on that 15$ computer is probably worth 15$. That's a good deal.

Dvora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2007, 7:07 pm

I have used the following...
* SuSE
* Debian
* Knoppix livecds for backing stuff up, etc.
* Ubuntu

I used Ubuntu exclusively on my previous laptop (minus my lab's software which only ran under Windows, so I kept the factory Windows install and had a dual-boot system... I could've just used wine or something, I know, but the lab software was so horribly coded I was happy it ran in native Windows half of the time. ugh.) I've recently bought a new one and gave the previous one to my mom (who has recently gotten into computers by way of discovering online chat, LOL). However this happened in the middle of my moving to a different country, and ever since then I've been horribly busy at school, so the new laptop still only has the factory WinXP install. (Thank G-d not Vista!) It is a hybrid tablet thing, and I thought it would be hard for me to set all those tablet features up under Linux so I haven't tried yet. I'm not a huge Linux guru or anything, and this is pretty new and eccentric hardware. Unfortunately the Windows drivers (the FACTORY INSTALLED windows drivers, ARGH) are horribly buggy, as I've found in the past month (updates didn't fix much), so I'm starting to think even a badly set up linux would be better than my current windows setup. As soon as my semester finishes I'm going to install Ubuntu and be happy with it. (But the tablet PC is excellent hardware-wise, I am very satisfied with it so I really hope I can set up a nice solid Linux boot...)

The Game of Life? Heck it's a cellular automaton.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 8:46 pm

rincemeister wrote:
Wow thats a great $15 pc. If yo can chuck in some secondhand pc133 ram, that would be perfect :-)

Oh and I forgot to say: Debian all the way. Laptop and workstation

I would, but the model that I have has a 100Mhz Bus speed. It will take up to 512MB ram though I have to get Dell Specific memory. --A 256MB stick of the correct memory is $38.50 from Crucial though, so I might max it out.

Enki76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Sep 2007, 12:25 pm

For a while, I used Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu; but, I was never really satisfied with it. All automation aside, I've grown to have this attitude; if it isn't difficult, then it's not worth doing.

What I like about Slackware is that it doesn't just work; *I* made it work. I delighted in the challenge of getting the right driver for my printer; hunting for dependencies; and learning the command line.

Life's just no fun without struggle. :wink: