Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Enki76
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Sep 2007, 12:25 pm

For a while, I used Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu; but, I was never really satisfied with it. All automation aside, I've grown to have this attitude; if it isn't difficult, then it's not worth doing.

What I like about Slackware is that it doesn't just work; *I* made it work. I delighted in the challenge of getting the right driver for my printer; hunting for dependencies; and learning the command line.

Life's just no fun without struggle. :wink:

-Main
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Sep 2007, 4:17 am

I'm dual-booting Zenwalk linux.

It's a slackware derivative with plenty of GUI config tools, an actual graphical dependency-chasing package manager, and the XFCE desktop environment. I really like it, compared to Windows XP it's responsive and fast, and somehow just 'feels right'.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 12:24 pm

I got a computer sas a award from being the Computer Tech Person at the Charter High School i go to. I am currently running Red Hat 9 along
w/ Puppylinux/KDE. The computer has these specs.

475Mhz K6-2 Processor
512MB PCI133 Memory
20GB Western Digital Bracuda HD/
7GB Quantum Fireball [For Music]
8MB SiS 530 Video
Sound Blaster Live!! [Upgraded from onboard audio.]

Both run great on my computer considering i play most of my games on my Nintendio Wii and PS2. I however would like to upgrade my ancient card though. I`ll probaly get one off Ebay or surplus sales.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 1:29 pm

dual boot: vista/gutsy gibbon. i got tired of everything taking aeons in windoze and of having to pay a fortune for everything. I still think windows is more user-friendly, but i'm happy with ubuntu. i tried redhat a few years ago and loathed it.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 1:52 pm

pbcoll wrote:
...gutsy gibbon...

Is that this week's official release?

I ask, because a friend has just accepted it as an upgrade, and went through a bit of a nightmare before getting to a system that worked, but has now abandoned that in favour of a clean install to a new partition, which is no big deal under Linux, of course.

I'm wondering whether to bother risking an upgrade to 7.10, from 7.04, given that I upgraded to there from 6.10, and that wasn't plain sailing either! I might just go for the clean install.

On the other hand, my uptime on this machine is now 15 days, 9 hours, so it would be amusing to see if I can upgrade from Feisty Fawn (which was itself an in-place upgrade from Dapper Drake) to Gutsy Gibbon without a reboot (I'm assuming the kernel remains at 2.6.20-16?).

(Think along the lines of upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows XP to Windows Vista, without a reboot - indeed, without breaking off from watching a movie on YouTube, while editing a letter to Bill Gates and playing solitaire.)

h4x0r
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Oct 2007, 2:08 pm

Ubuntu usually, occasionally other distros..

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 2:35 pm

lau wrote:
gamefreak wrote:
Damn Small Linux the i am currently trying to configure.

I'd love to hear how you get on. I haven't used DSL yet, but I want to. I think I'd like to stick it on my memory stick, so I have a plug'n'play system to confuse Vista users with. :)

DSL runs great even on as pitiful as a 486 computer, 16MB Memory and a 500MB HD. In fact if you have 128MB of memory or above DSL can load into the memory. Its easy to use once you figure it out.
[You right-click the mouse for the start menu.] It has a load of Games on it and even its own office suite simular to ms office. All only taking up 50 MB.

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 6:01 pm

lau wrote:
pbcoll wrote:
...gutsy gibbon...

Is that this week's official release?

I ask, because a friend has just accepted it as an upgrade, and went through a bit of a nightmare before getting to a system that worked, but has now abandoned that in favour of a clean install to a new partition, which is no big deal under Linux, of course.

I'm wondering whether to bother risking an upgrade to 7.10, from 7.04, given that I upgraded to there from 6.10, and that wasn't plain sailing either! I might just go for the clean install.

On the other hand, my uptime on this machine is now 15 days, 9 hours, so it would be amusing to see if I can upgrade from Feisty Fawn (which was itself an in-place upgrade from Dapper Drake) to Gutsy Gibbon without a reboot (I'm assuming the kernel remains at 2.6.20-16?).

(Think along the lines of upgrading from Windows 95 to Windows XP to Windows Vista, without a reboot - indeed, without breaking off from watching a movie on YouTube, while editing a letter to Bill Gates and playing solitaire.)

yes, it's the latest ubuntu. I did an upgrade, had some trouble setting up writing to NTFS but fine otherwise. can't give much advice really, i'm newish to linux and pretty new to ubuntu.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 7:15 pm

Ah well... I guess I won't be able to resist it. I've downloaded the 7.10 CD. I'll burn a copy of that, for a bit of a backup. I'll loop mount the CD image, so I can tell Synaptic to use that for most of the sources (saves it having to download most of the 700Mbytes again). I'll clone my current partition, so I can do a fast "revert" if all hell breaks loose. Then I'll take the plunge.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2007, 10:19 pm

One system with 64-bit Suse 10.2/XP, another with BLAG (Brixton GNU And Linux), and a third with the new Ubuntu release. All of them are good, so I haven't felt any need to standardize.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 1:06 pm

geek wrote:
One system with 64-bit Suse 10.2/XP, another with BLAG (Brixton GNU And Linux), and a third with the new Ubuntu release. All of them are good, so I haven't felt any need to standardize.

What is Blag and how does it run on your computer.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 2:33 pm

BLAG is a Fedora Core-based distro made by a bunch of anti-corporate anarchist types in the UK. The ideological side of it is reflected in their refusal to incorporate anything which is not completely free (as in free speech) and open source (unlike Ubuntu, SuSE, etc.), so it's one of very few distros that Richard Stallman has given his seal of approval to. They also want it to be an OS suitable for all people, so it's designed to have everything work with minimal or no configuration, and it will run on old and underpowered systems. Because they want it to be easy to distribute, and fit onto old systems that may have small hard drives, they go to a lot of effort to ensure that it all fits on one CD. It can be downloaded at http://www.blagblagblag.org/ or, if you're in the UK and ask them, they will mail you a CD of it at no charge.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2007, 4:45 pm

geek wrote:
BLAG is a Fedora Core-based distro made by a bunch of anti-corporate anarchist types in the UK. The ideological side of it is reflected in their refusal to incorporate anything which is not completely free (as in free speech) and open source (unlike Ubuntu, SuSE, etc.), so it's one of very few distros that Richard Stallman has given his seal of approval to. They also want it to be an OS suitable for all people, so it's designed to have everything work with minimal or no configuration, and it will run on old and underpowered systems. Because they want it to be easy to distribute, and fit onto old systems that may have small hard drives, they go to a lot of effort to ensure that it all fits on one CD. It can be downloaded at http://www.blagblagblag.org/ or, if you're in the UK and ask them, they will mail you a CD of it at no charge.

How easy is BLAG to use and configure. I am currantly using DSL, Red Hat and Ubuntu Fiesty.

Hey_You

28 Oct 2007, 5:04 pm

I use both Gentoo and Arch Linux. I have used Gentoo since it first started up, so I am a very oldbie with that distro. :P I like it, but it is not for everyone.

geek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2007, 8:19 pm

gamefreak wrote:
How easy is BLAG to use and configure. I am currantly using DSL, Red Hat and Ubuntu Fiesty.

I put in the disk, started the install, and it was ready to use. I had to download and run 'firestarter' afterwards, because I was using it as the Internet gateway/firewall for a small network. But otherwise, everything worked right off the bat.

Brooks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Nov 2007, 1:34 pm

Home:
Suse 10.3

Work:
Novell Sled 10
Suse 10.3
Custom Knoppix Live CD - no gui
Debian with icewm