Have you ever been behind the wheel of a car?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2017, 9:48 am

I have. I took driver's ed, but have never gotten a driver's license.

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 1:18 pm

Around 12 years ago. Got a permit, but never got my license. I stopped after accidentally running into another car (I was put into a situation I was clearly not ready for, waiting in the middle of a very busy intersection for my turn to turn onto a two-lane highway). Another incident which has detered me from driving is this one time where I drove to this one place to pick someone up, but because the traffic lights were out, I handed the car off to someone else. Few miles on the way back, a group of kids on bikes bolted straight through the very busy 3-lane road, forcing everyone to brake hard so as to not hit them. As I did not realize why everyone stopped until I saw the kids passing in front of the car, I get the feeling that if I had been behind the wheel, I would certainly have hit one or more of them. This makes me question whether I have any business driving.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 2:21 pm

No, I haven't. In addition to ASD I have a few anxiety disorders and even the thought of driving makes me anxious.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 4:10 pm

yes, drove rather well by age 17, but refused to take the test... the reasoning wasn’t too complicated. having a teacher that would constantly snarl and treat you like you were the worlds biggest idiot even when driving well for asking an innocent question, the first vehicle available being a 300hp automatic yacht of a luxury sedan with a v8 engine(barely had two speeds... dead stop, and speeding), and knowing it would be expected to drive everywhere once the license was obtained... getting the license was forgone. having crippling anxiety didn’t help, but it wasn’t anxiety for being afraid of driving, it was for the chaos coming from the passenger seat.

going to have to get a license though, as the area is too wide spread to get anywhere using public transit, and after finishing community college... a university for transfer will have to be driven to to finish schooling. only exciting incentive, really, is wanting to be able to drive off road. thinking to get gran turismo sport in october, and try to get interested in cars again.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 4:22 pm

I have been behind the wheel of a school bus so a car is no issue anymore.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:43 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
No, I haven't. In addition to ASD I have a few anxiety disorders and even the thought of driving makes me anxious.

Me, too, but I've still been driving since the age of seventeen. Anxiety is something you tend to get over, after you've faced it a few times. While most of my peers were excited to start driving, I was content to sit in the passenger seat and hang my head out the window like a dog. But eventually I saw a car I wanted, and everything changed. Oh, that, and I got a job, and my parents couldn't be available to chauffeur me around all the time, so I kinda had to learn. It took me three tries to pass the driving part of the test (having a cop sitting next to me made me sweat). Third time, I decided to use a Toyota, instead of a station wagon. It was much easier to parallel park, but the clutch made things a little jerky (now I won't drive a vehicle without a stick - it makes me feel naked).

I still prefer NOT to get into high traffic areas I'm unfamiliar with, but even that wasn't so bad in my twenties, when I found living as an anonymous faceless nobody in a large metro area very liberating. My sense of direction, though, is as bad as my face-blindness. Until I've driven the same road a dozen times, I won't remember it, and even after driving the same route every day for years, I will be oblivious to landmarks I've passed a million times.

Maps and compasses are your friends, learn to read them, and keep them handy, GPS won't always be there in poor service areas.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:43 pm

Last edited by will@rd on 11 Aug 2017, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

Yes, and I have a license. I didn't have any trouble, except for parallel parking.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Aug 2017, 10:00 pm

I took drivers ed & I drove a couple times with a learners permit but I shouldn't drive because my vision is bad & I have a hard time focusing & remembering directions.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:16 am

Yes, I got my learners license the first time when I was 17, then I let it expire and I got it again when I was 22. Getting my provisional licence in 2008 (after failing the test once) and graduated to my full licence in 2012 or 2013.
I like driving, but then again I live in a regional area and have since I was born so I know the area/roads well and know exactly what to expect from the traffic. Put me behind the wheel in a strange big city and it's white knuckles, meltdowns and wrong turns every mile of the way to my destination.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 8:33 am

blue_bean wrote:
I like driving, but then again I live in a regional area and have since I was born so I know the area/roads well and know exactly what to expect from the traffic. Put me behind the wheel in a strange big city and it's white knuckles, meltdowns and wrong turns every mile of the way to my destination.

That's my experience in a nutshell, got my license at 18 but I started practicing when I was a teenager
I tried my sisters new moped once, but panicked and got confused between the brake and accelerator, ended up in a ditch with a good chunk of skin missing from my knee. The moped was fine though :)

SilverBoltsisWmax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2017, 8:59 am

I got my permit at 15 didn't get my license until 23. Driving is easy for me now but at first I couldn't do it because I took a virtual course in drivers ED that made me paranoid as f**k that someone from the opposite side of the road was going to run into my lane so I had to drive slow to be careful of that.

I went to a highly recommended driving school for 6 hours of driving practice took my test BOMBED it. Did another 4 hours and took the test again and the instructor from before was like ???? are you the same guy. I completely f*****g destroyed it almost made a 100.

Lost points because I didn't look both ways on green for accidents, AND because I hit the curb because f**k hitting the woodpost when your parallel parking that's an auto fail.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

Only when I was a teenager and my dad was trying to teach me how to drive. I've never driven on the main road though .

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 12:46 pm

Had my permit since 16 and my full liscense a couple years later. Havent owned a car for the past several years but I plan on just either using Uber and renting a car for longer trips.

So much cheaper than owning a car, and I won't be locked into car payments or insurance payments, no liscensing fees, no repair bills, no safety or e-tests, driving in a 1 year old car rather than like a decade old car will be much preferred. Using travel websites I can rent a car for pretty cheap and my credit card covers collision insurance on any car that I rent.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 1:07 pm

Interesting... I never even thought that non-driving may be an ASD issue. But now I think about it, I was never interested in driving until I had to (for work) at the age of 21. I have hardly ever driven since I quit work 7 years ago. Mrs Trueno is happy to drive everywhere, but we live two minutes from the train station, so in fact the car hardly gets used at all. I find I get really worked up about other drivers, so I'd rather not play the game.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:35 pm

I've had driving lessons. By some quirk I do okay at parallel parking. But I do not think I will ever be driving around in actual traffic.