Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 9:24 am

Lately I've noticed I really don't like people being behind me.
On the street or in crowded places like shopping centres etc it doesn't bother me too much if they aren't too close, but anyone too close to me bothers me, and especially if they are too close and behind me.
But in any situation like in the house, or in an office or whatever, I can't stand people being behind me. I have someone in the house right now who will not stop doing it, they seem to invent increasingly implausible reasons for why they have to get behind me, even if there is only a very small space behind me and they can barely fit.
Why would people do that? Is it not considered bad manners to sneak up behind people?
Does people being behind you bother you? Why?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 9:28 am

I think this is pretty common, actually.

I don't like people "behind" me too much. It gives me the creeps.

Alas....this is part of life.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 10:49 am

There's a subway near me. I hate it when I walk through there and there's people behind me.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2017, 10:58 am

Yes. A lot.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 11:31 am

Absolutely.
Walking behind me, too close, footsteps too loud, or especially pushing a pushchair... it really freaks me out and I have to stand aside and let them pass. It's a good job I don't live in a big city or I'd never get anywhere.
I don't know about people standing behind me, it doesn't really happen. Maybe I spend too much time in the house.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 2:32 pm

People being behind me doesn't bother me normally...except in shops and supermarkets. I get easily distracted by things going on around me, and when I'm trying to look on the shelf in a shop and somebody's hovering about behind me or right next to me looking at the same bit I'm looking at, I get really agitated. This is why I'm reluctant to get a job filling shelves in a supermarket. I just wouldn't be able to concentrate on my job properly with people standing behind me all the time wanting to get to where I'm working.

I think this stems back from when I was a teenager, I used to get lost in thought and stand about in people's way in shops, and whoever I was with used to pull me out of the way, making me feel like a small child. Now I'm more aware but I seem to have become too hyperfocused on not getting in people's way.

OrionBadger
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2017, 2:52 pm

Very much so. I can get incredibly stressed due to it- on my daily city commute to class it was difficult enough dealing with all of the sensory issues while travelling by bus and walking to class, but people walking too close to me or behind me made me extremely uncomfortable, so I would often stand aside hoping they would continue walking and put some distance between us.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 10:38 pm

I HATE this. I suppose if someone was only standing behind me and making no noise it would be fine, but standing and talking, or worse walking behind me (and worst walking AND talking right behind me) drives me insane. I can't stand it at all.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 10:41 pm

Yeah- it's a tactile sensitivity thing for me. I can't stand be touched, especially unexpectedly from behind!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 11:02 pm

It bothers me to no end, having people close behind me. It seems like they have no concept of personal space.

Eliza_Day
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2017, 2:00 am

I've hated people walking behind me for as long as I can remember. If at all possible, I slow down to let them past.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:56 am

I hates it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:48 am

Yes, it makes me nervous. I hate when people talk to me when they're standing behind me. That makes me jump out of my skin. I like to see the person who's talking to me face to face.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:43 am

I really hate when people are close enough to me that I can feel them, but I can't see them. It makes me nervous, for some reason. This especially bothers me if I'm sitting down, because if I'm standing, I can easily move, usually without drawing too much attention to myself, but I feel trapped if I'm sitting. I'll always choose to sit with my back to a wall if at all possible.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:09 am

Hate it.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:21 am

Not too much. To an extent, granted, but not to the point where I get anxious.