Bad things are said in my head for no reason

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 12:57 pm

Sometimes we all say or think things in our heads we don't mean right? Like say we wanna kill someone close to us or we hate them. I mean we don't mean those things when we say them in our heads right? I mean we're either stressed or our minds just wander right? However I feel like some of the things I say are down right dark or maybe that's just my imagination. I mean we had a death in the family a couple of months ago and just recently I thought something in my head that was downright inappropriate and insulting and would be terrible if I said it outloud. Honestly there was no reason at all for me to think about and I have nothing against that person or the people around him or her so why did I say that horrible thing. Well I didn't mean to think it it just happened and even after thinking it I'm debating whether or not I mean it. I mean I even thought it again not long after and I think I might have done it on purpose to probably test myself. I think I may have even thought similar thoughts at the funeral. I don't mean to think these things but I worry that I might and I don't wanna hurt people's feelings. I mean maybe it's just nothing but I'm just worried people might hate me for thinking such things and another thing I'm worried about is am I worried about people hating me or about hurting people's feelings because I feel like if it's the first one more than the second then people might think I'm a dick.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2017, 6:30 pm

That's a trait of OCD. It might be linked to other disorders, though there are none that I know of. Obsessive thoughts tend to be centered around hurting people you love, religious scruples, or really any kind of thought you might regard as obscene. It certainly doesn't make you a dick, but it can interfere with your quality of life if it goes too far. I'd suggest reading up on OCD and obsessive thinking. If you can convince yourself that these thoughts aren't genuine by understanding their root cause, they're easier to ignore.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:42 pm

AceofPens wrote:
That's a trait of OCD. It might be linked to other disorders, though there are none that I know of. Obsessive thoughts tend to be centered around hurting people you love, religious scruples, or really any kind of thought you might regard as obscene. It certainly doesn't make you a dick, but it can interfere with your quality of life if it goes too far. I'd suggest reading up on OCD and obsessive thinking. If you can convince yourself that these thoughts aren't genuine by understanding their root cause, they're easier to ignore.

It could also just be normal intrusive thoughts. Everyone has intrusive thoughts, but when you have OCD, you draw attention to these thoughts and obsess over them. The OP is not a bad person for having these thoughts because even though they are the one thinking them, they aren't what they truly want to happen inside. Everybody has these kinds of thoughts, though, so the OP shouldn't worry if they are a bad person.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:47 am

I have a lot of less than positive thoughts about myself, and I need to stop them. I get headaches from the tension they cause me. I sometimes feel stupid, less than others and have real worries about my future. Truthfully, I will never be as good as people who started much earlier than I did, even though I am now living quite a good, well-rounded life.

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2017, 9:48 am

AceofPens wrote:

Yes, that's classical OCD.

Broken Sun Beam
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Aug 2017, 10:54 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
AceofPens wrote:

It could also just be normal intrusive thoughts. Everyone has intrusive thoughts, but when you have OCD, you draw attention to these thoughts and obsess over them. The OP is not a bad person for having these thoughts because even though they are the one thinking them, they aren't what they truly want to happen inside. Everybody has these kinds of thoughts, though, so the OP shouldn't worry if they are a bad person.

Before assuming OCD should one consider the death in the family first? Or is it possible he's always been OCD but the death in the family just exasperated the condition?

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 11:13 am

tb86 wrote:
Sometimes we all say or think things in our heads we don't mean right? Like say we wanna kill someone close to us or we hate them. I mean we don't mean those things when we say them in our heads right? I mean we're either stressed or our minds just wander right? However I feel like some of the things I say are down right dark or maybe that's just my imagination. I mean we had a death in the family a couple of months ago and just recently I thought something in my head that was downright inappropriate and insulting and would be terrible if I said it outloud. Honestly there was no reason at all for me to think about and I have nothing against that person or the people around him or her so why did I say that horrible thing. Well I didn't mean to think it it just happened and even after thinking it I'm debating whether or not I mean it. I mean I even thought it again not long after and I think I might have done it on purpose to probably test myself. I think I may have even thought similar thoughts at the funeral. I don't mean to think these things but I worry that I might and I don't wanna hurt people's feelings. I mean maybe it's just nothing but I'm just worried people might hate me for thinking such things and another thing I'm worried about is am I worried about people hating me or about hurting people's feelings because I feel like if it's the first one more than the second then people might think I'm a dick.

It is SO normal and human to have "bad thoughts" sometimes. Everyone does it and it's not just a symptom of OCD. It's just that most people don't talk about it.

It is not normal to act on them or to let them become obsessive - where you think them over and over again to the point where you have a hard time focusing. Or if you feel compelled to act in order to quiet them down. That's when we have to start thinking about if you have a mental health problem.

Regardless, it sounds like you might benefit from having someone to talk to about this stuff. You might be able to learn how to hold yourself a little more gently with it. Not feel so afraid that if you have a thought, that makes you an as*hole.