Boys playing with dolls and girls playing with trucks.

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 4:14 pm

^Yeah, they just called them 'action figures" so boys would actually play with them without feeling emasculated. But if it resembles a human or humanoid creature, then it's really a doll. :P

The first GI Joe dolls were not only called action figures for that reason but they tried to make the character as rugged and many as possible, even giving a scar on his face. I even once heard they put the thumbnail on one of his hands upside-down on purpose to avoid having cheap bootlegs being made. Although I think GI Joe was originally more of an adventurer than a soldier.

In fact maybe even stuffed animals are technically dolls, and it's okay for boys to play with stuffed animals.

There are new Baby Alive dolls that are boys now, and the talking BA dolls, male or female, can now call their "parent" daddy as well as mommy with a switch on their back. :)

MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:36 pm

I'll put it this way. If I had a son and he wanted to play with dolls, I think I'd ship him off to military school to get some sense knocked into him.

Why yes, I am a conservative.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

I played hot wheels with my brother and he played dolls with me.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 9:05 pm

I played with cars when I was little, even took my favourite toy car to bed with me :D I didn't like those baby dolls they're creepy looking.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2018, 9:17 pm

I figure girls playing with toy cars was just a "tom-boy" thing no one cared about as long as she started acting more "lady like" by a certain age.

Dimples123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Oct 2019, 2:25 pm

At the end of the day you're just upset over plastic.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 9:33 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I played with cars when I was little, even took my favourite toy car to bed with me :D

Oh good, I'm not the only one. :mrgreen:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2020, 9:39 am

I preferred stereotypically boy toys as a kid, cars and construction sets, etc, but I liked doll houses, I'd play barbies with female friends, and I was very resentful whenever I was told I couldn't play with something that was "for girls" even if I didn't want to in the first place, it would make the toy more enticing.

In kindergarten there was an entire alcove of the room dedicated to a toy kitchen that was really cool and I was not allowed in there, I had to play with the lego knock-offs, that pissed me off. I also remember getting mad at a barbie commercial that said no boys allowed, lol.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 10:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
I played with cars when I was little, even took my favourite toy car to bed with me :D

Me three.
A Tonka VW.
I loved toy cars and trucks.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 3:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:

Me three.
A Tonka VW.
I loved toy cars and trucks.

I had a Hot Wheels branded 1:43 scale Ferrari F40. I was always more of a Porsche 959 or Camaro guy, but I sure loved that Ferrari. I haven't been able to find one online either, sadly. (I can find other Hot Wheels 1:43 scale F-40s, but not the livery mine had).

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jul 2020, 11:15 pm

nick007 wrote:
I rathered play dolls with the girls during recess because the boys were meaner towards me & usually playing sports which I hated. Dolls aren't that much different from action figures.
i wasn't into other girl stuff thou except for swinging with the girls in PE. The girls were sometimes allowed to swing while the boys were expected to participate in some sport thing but the coach sometimes allowed me to swing with the girls i think due to my physical & mental disabilities. I was teased a bit for likeing the show My Little Pony even thou i never watched it & i didn't watch any other sterotpicial girl shows either. Some people assumed i did because i did n'ot conform to the boy stereotype either thou. This contributed to the gender confusion i've had about myself in my teens till mid 20s.

My mom is a retired preK teacher & she never cared about which types of toys the kids would chose to play with when they were allowed to play. Some of the boys would chose to play house & play with baby dolls & some girls would chose to play with action figures & toy cars & construction vehicles.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm

nick007 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I rathered play dolls with the girls during recess because the boys were meaner towards me & usually playing sports which I hated. Dolls aren't that much different from action figures.
i wasn't into other girl stuff thou except for swinging with the girls in PE. The girls were sometimes allowed to swing while the boys were expected to participate in some sport thing but the coach sometimes allowed me to swing with the girls i think due to my physical & mental disabilities. I was teased a bit for likeing the show My Little Pony even thou i never watched it & i didn't watch any other sterotpicial girl shows either. Some people assumed i did because i did n'ot conform to the boy stereotype either thou. This contributed to the gender confusion i've had about myself in my teens till mid 20s.

My mom is a retired preK teacher & she never cared about which types of toys the kids would chose to play with when they were allowed to play. Some of the boys would chose to play house & play with baby dolls & some girls would chose to play with action figures & toy cars & construction vehicles.

good teacher your mom was.

nobody should care ! !!
why is everyone focused on labeling kids and strangers alike these days

and every aspect of their lives is mutilated and dissected like what the hell
is there no such thing as mystery, privacy, decency, letting things be, being easygoing, kindness, letting people explore the world through art and play...etc
why is everything extreme

it is the childs business.. what they like or dont like..

if its something wrong it can be corrected or re-directed like if the child is extremely violent and hateful to a destructive degree that is not appropriate play -
it needs to be re-directed in a gentle way, or probed deeper into (SUBTLY) by the adult, if necessary

keep their worlds gentle, pure, loving, fun, and safe! please!! ! that is our job.

people imposing everything they want on a child
because of their own sick minds wanting things to be a certain way only-

no concept of nature- like a plant-
which needs to be ignored too, aside from being watered and whatnot --

not constantly poked at, twisted and fiddled with until the plant cannot grow and just withers. we do that to OURSELVES and now we do it to CHILDREN TOO. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 11:43 pm

i played with my sister's hand-me-down dolls. also played with trucks, i'd put the dolls in the trucks and go to make believe town with them.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 11:46 pm

nowadays, that would place the child squarely in a political camp or maybe a future in Hell, too, from the get-go, in the eyes of some people. :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 11:51 pm

to me, the fundies don't count for much in my life, their dissocial ways are between them and god AFAIC.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2020, 12:34 am

i have a person in my family (adult) who is gay-
nobody excludes him, or makes him feel unwanted, or speaks badly of him-
he has no hang-ups, nor do we. and nobody isolated or bullied him for that growing up , let him be.
he is well respected and liked and involved in the family, he attends all the weddings, whatever get together he is there for, happy atmosphere, no tension - almost everyone else was religious when he was being raised, and till now, and never imposed or questioned his way or his atheism, or his opinions.

which nowadays seems to mean vitriol and hatred!!

meanwhile i have a second-cousin (my brothers age)
who since childhood only received toys like hand me down dolls because his family were poor and he had lots of sisters who were prioritized above him, he had no playmates except for his sisters, blah blah blah, so he grew to speaking softly and he is kind or sensitive to peoples feelings, wanting to help, make sure nobody feels hurt, everything goes well. like a peacemaker type.

i also think he might have ASD level 1. seems like it to me especially considering he had no friends at school, stuttered, socially awkward, very sensitive to sounds etc. recognize a lot of the same things

he grew obsessed with weddings ,, wedding food, wedding clothes, wedding music, etc

because in our culture in that country particularly, brides and weddings are the main outlet most people have in their lives

so with my dads encouragement and prompting (my dad thought it was funny) one of my brothers began to make fun of him.

and the boy would have a meltdown (which they saw as crying like a baby) and that would egg them on even further..
my dad laughing at him too!

it caught on to the other boys their ages who would encourage it or participate-- why, because they saw the adult seemed ok with it-

the boy then began only sitting with the girl cousins --
AFTER THE BOY COUSINS MADE FUN OF HIM --for things like his special interest in weddings, voice and awkward way of talking and behaving -- hello! aspergers!-- for which he would leave and come to us, since we were nicer.

but my brother (the main bully) wasnt told off by my dad ..

and my dad would make fun of the boy, behind his back, instead of putting a stop to it, for crying and tattling and quote unquote running to his mommy.

which affected the boy a lot, he could sense that his own uncle was allowing it (even though the rest of us were trying to stop it )

my brother began calling him names too., which the adults would often not know since he did it so secretively.
and my dad encouraged it and thought it was funny- he would say stop it!-- then wink. and laugh at the jokes, too!

it seems now my brother and he are on good terms, but i cannot forgive my father for encouraging bullying when they were young.

that is what i mean - people becoming more and more severe in their approach and judging and causing undue psychological pain to someone who did no harm to them.

is it necessary... the first example, he is happy, successful in life, psyche is not on stage for people to dissect- everyone including my dad respects him and he lives as he pleases.

the second example, he had to work through that, got depressed--
got complexes and paranoia -
would call me and random cousins, convinced my brother was about to bully him- or something bad was intended when it wasnt.. he would freak out over little things more and more.

on top of which his mom, who was the only breadwinner, became bedridden with a blood disease--
he had to help support the family despite being so young etc.
he is very confident and happy now, but did he have to endure that ,as a child, did he deserve it...

why add to struggles instead of encouraging and contributing the good things. for example that boy would email me pictures of wedding dresses and what fashion might work for my wedding, since I asked his opinion --im sure certain people like my brother would have made fun of him--

life will give everyone enough struggles as they grow up,
why try to knock them down before that even happens so they have less confidence to deal with
lifes inevitable challenges.

edit to add i realize that the first example, the person is socially gifted, good at conversation, no obvious issues.

the second example, the person displays very obvious autistic traits--
which can be seen as weakness and
a fun target since they got a big reaction instantly (meltdowns) and
he did not even give comebacks - because of aforementioned aspie traits.