Boys playing with dolls and girls playing with trucks.

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

04 Jan 2018, 4:57 am

Most boys play with dolls all the time. They're called "auction figures" but they're dolls nonetheless.



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,820
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

04 Jan 2018, 4:14 pm

^Yeah, they just called them 'action figures" so boys would actually play with them without feeling emasculated. But if it resembles a human or humanoid creature, then it's really a doll. :P

The first GI Joe dolls were not only called action figures for that reason but they tried to make the character as rugged and many as possible, even giving a scar on his face. I even once heard they put the thumbnail on one of his hands upside-down on purpose to avoid having cheap bootlegs being made. Although I think GI Joe was originally more of an adventurer than a soldier.

In fact maybe even stuffed animals are technically dolls, and it's okay for boys to play with stuffed animals.

There are new Baby Alive dolls that are boys now, and the talking BA dolls, male or female, can now call their "parent" daddy as well as mommy with a switch on their back. :)



MidnightMoon
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2017
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 501
Location: Megadeth Land

04 Jan 2018, 5:36 pm

I'll put it this way. If I had a son and he wanted to play with dolls, I think I'd ship him off to military school to get some sense knocked into him.


_________________
"And when we walk down the street, the wind sings our name in rebel songs
But it's much too late when the fear is gone..."


Why yes, I am a conservative.


ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 26 Apr 2016
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,164
Location: surrounded by cats

04 Jan 2018, 5:49 pm

I played hot wheels with my brother and he played dolls with me.



Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,658

04 Jan 2018, 9:05 pm

I played with cars when I was little, even took my favourite toy car to bed with me :D I didn't like those baby dolls they're creepy looking.



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

04 Jan 2018, 9:17 pm

I figure girls playing with toy cars was just a "tom-boy" thing no one cared about as long as she started acting more "lady like" by a certain age.



Dimples123
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 95

03 Oct 2019, 2:25 pm

At the end of the day you're just upset over plastic.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,814
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

28 Jul 2020, 9:33 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I played with cars when I was little, even took my favourite toy car to bed with me :D


Oh good, I'm not the only one. :mrgreen:


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


usagibryan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 13 Jul 2020
Age: 34
Gender: Male
Posts: 140
Location: Florida

28 Jul 2020, 9:39 am

I preferred stereotypically boy toys as a kid, cars and construction sets, etc, but I liked doll houses, I'd play barbies with female friends, and I was very resentful whenever I was told I couldn't play with something that was "for girls" even if I didn't want to in the first place, it would make the toy more enticing.

In kindergarten there was an entire alcove of the room dedicated to a toy kitchen that was really cool and I was not allowed in there, I had to play with the lego knock-offs, that pissed me off. I also remember getting mad at a barbie commercial that said no boys allowed, lol.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,824
Location: Aux Arcs

28 Jul 2020, 10:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
I played with cars when I was little, even took my favourite toy car to bed with me :D


Oh good, I'm not the only one. :mrgreen:

Me three.
A Tonka VW.
I loved toy cars and trucks.


_________________
I am the dust that dances in the light. - Rumi


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,814
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

28 Jul 2020, 3:48 pm

Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Aprilviolets wrote:
I played with cars when I was little, even took my favourite toy car to bed with me :D


Oh good, I'm not the only one. :mrgreen:

Me three.
A Tonka VW.
I loved toy cars and trucks.


I had a Hot Wheels branded 1:43 scale Ferrari F40. I was always more of a Porsche 959 or Camaro guy, but I sure loved that Ferrari. I haven't been able to find one online either, sadly. (I can find other Hot Wheels 1:43 scale F-40s, but not the livery mine had).


_________________
politics is dumb but very important
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う


nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,137
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Jul 2020, 11:15 pm

nick007 wrote:
I rathered play dolls with the girls during recess because the boys were meaner towards me & usually playing sports which I hated. Dolls aren't that much different from action figures.
i wasn't into other girl stuff thou except for swinging with the girls in PE. The girls were sometimes allowed to swing while the boys were expected to participate in some sport thing but the coach sometimes allowed me to swing with the girls i think due to my physical & mental disabilities. I was teased a bit for likeing the show My Little Pony even thou i never watched it & i didn't watch any other sterotpicial girl shows either. Some people assumed i did because i did n'ot conform to the boy stereotype either thou. This contributed to the gender confusion i've had about myself in my teens till mid 20s.

My mom is a retired preK teacher & she never cared about which types of toys the kids would chose to play with when they were allowed to play. Some of the boys would chose to play house & play with baby dolls & some girls would chose to play with action figures & toy cars & construction vehicles.


_________________
"I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem!"

~King Of The Hill


blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

28 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm

nick007 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I rathered play dolls with the girls during recess because the boys were meaner towards me & usually playing sports which I hated. Dolls aren't that much different from action figures.
i wasn't into other girl stuff thou except for swinging with the girls in PE. The girls were sometimes allowed to swing while the boys were expected to participate in some sport thing but the coach sometimes allowed me to swing with the girls i think due to my physical & mental disabilities. I was teased a bit for likeing the show My Little Pony even thou i never watched it & i didn't watch any other sterotpicial girl shows either. Some people assumed i did because i did n'ot conform to the boy stereotype either thou. This contributed to the gender confusion i've had about myself in my teens till mid 20s.

My mom is a retired preK teacher & she never cared about which types of toys the kids would chose to play with when they were allowed to play. Some of the boys would chose to play house & play with baby dolls & some girls would chose to play with action figures & toy cars & construction vehicles.


good teacher your mom was.


nobody should care ! !!
why is everyone focused on labeling kids and strangers alike these days

and every aspect of their lives is mutilated and dissected like what the hell
is there no such thing as mystery, privacy, decency, letting things be, being easygoing, kindness, letting people explore the world through art and play...etc
why is everything extreme


it is the childs business.. what they like or dont like..

if its something wrong it can be corrected or re-directed like if the child is extremely violent and hateful to a destructive degree that is not appropriate play -
it needs to be re-directed in a gentle way, or probed deeper into (SUBTLY) by the adult, if necessary

keep their worlds gentle, pure, loving, fun, and safe! please!! ! that is our job.

people imposing everything they want on a child
because of their own sick minds wanting things to be a certain way only-

no concept of nature- like a plant-
which needs to be ignored too, aside from being watered and whatnot --

not constantly poked at, twisted and fiddled with until the plant cannot grow and just withers. we do that to OURSELVES and now we do it to CHILDREN TOO. :cry:


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 101,668
Location: the island of defective toy santas

28 Jul 2020, 11:43 pm

i played with my sister's hand-me-down dolls. also played with trucks, i'd put the dolls in the trucks and go to make believe town with them.



blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,793

28 Jul 2020, 11:46 pm

nowadays, that would place the child squarely in a political camp or maybe a future in Hell, too, from the get-go, in the eyes of some people. :roll:


_________________
Take defeat as an urge to greater effort.
-Napoleon Hill


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 101,668
Location: the island of defective toy santas

28 Jul 2020, 11:51 pm

to me, the fundies don't count for much in my life, their dissocial ways are between them and god AFAIC.