Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 4:52 pm

I'm going back to school soon, and I was wondering how the year will go. The main problem I have in regards to learning is that I can't concentrate very well when I'm reading. I used to be an avid reader, but now I only want to read about a few topics and every other fiction book is completely boring and uninteresting. I posted this here instead of in the School/College forum because I know other autistic people struggle with this is regards to focusing on anything besides their interests, not just school work.

Does anyone have any tips on how to focus on other things? I get really distracted when reading about anything other than my interests, which is bad because I need to read other books for independent reading and certain subjects. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 4:59 pm

By relating those other topics to your interests, somehow.

Or by finding a way to make them interesting. Related to the above.

Or even feeling motivated by getting good grades.

Or trying to create your own interesting twists on what doesn't interest you.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
By relating those other topics to your interests, somehow.

Or by finding a way to make them interesting. Related to the above.

Or even feeling motivated by getting good grades.

Or trying to create your own interesting twists on what doesn't interest you.

Thanks for replying :D . It's mostly what interests other kids my age that I find boring, so things like "teen fiction" are enough to put me to sleep (which is saying a lot, since I haven't been sleeping well lately!).

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:08 pm

That kind of stuff bored me, too.

I hope you sleep well tonight. Maybe try to think of the sound of the sea. I've done that before.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That kind of stuff bored me, too.

I hope you sleep well tonight. Maybe try to think of the sound of the sea. I've done that before.

Thanks :D . It's weird because I'm exhausted, but I can't sleep!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:47 pm

Just think thoughts of Stampy, or the Squid.

What thoughts are keeping you awake now?

anti_gone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2017, 7:44 pm

This is my advice:
-Use marker pens or underline words with a pencil. Make notes beside the text. Summarize the paragraphs beside the text.
-Use more senses: Read the text aloud (audio input), maybe write some sentences down somewhere, draw a picture of what you read or tell other people about it. You can also write important notes on cards.
-Don't sit but walk around while reading so that your focus is better.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just think thoughts of Stampy, or the Squid.

What thoughts are keeping you awake now?

Probably anxious thoughts. I hate OCD, but it makes me a better, happier person, so I wouldn't get rid of it if I could (I know that's weird!) :D .

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:54 pm

anti_gone wrote:
This is my advice:
-Use marker pens or underline words with a pencil. Make notes beside the text. Summarize the paragraphs beside the text.
-Use more senses: Read the text aloud (audio input), maybe write some sentences down somewhere, draw a picture of what you read or tell other people about it. You can also write important notes on cards.
-Don't sit but walk around while reading so that your focus is better.

Thanks for this :D . I will definitely use this advice!

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Aug 2017, 9:22 pm

I know that you mentioned before that you have some auditory processing difficulties but you scored 71/100 on that test from a few days ago. So maybe text to speech software/apps/plugins or just audio books. I find that I can't focus on reading unless I'm listening to it. It also helps me read a lot faster.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:25 pm

sunshinescj wrote:
I know that you mentioned before that you have some auditory processing difficulties but you scored 71/100 on that test from a few days ago. So maybe text to speech software/apps/plugins or just audio books. I find that I can't focus on reading unless I'm listening to it. It also helps me read a lot faster.

I think that would definitely help as long as I used a visual alongside the audio book (can't learn auditory information to save my life :lol: ). I think my auditory processing difficulties are only bad when there is a lot of other noise around me. Thanks so much for your advice :D !

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2017, 8:43 am

Provided you are an expert in a subject that can help you gain employment/financial freedom.

The other stuff can certainly wait, until you develop an interest.
I certainly found most of school to be a bore, (teachers & the school system do not inspire much).
You could also go on youtube, I've gained an interest in maths and science in part from watching some inspiring youtubers. They really show what is possible, and create interest in subjects.