Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

lisa.c
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm a first year teacher and I'm having a lot of problems. I stupidly took a job in a new city where I have no support system, and things at work are getting worse.
I've been there for about six months now, and every single day I've been hit, punched or sworn at by kids and I don't get any help.
I've planned whole units of work for the whole school (I am currently the Technology teacher for the whole school, even though I'm not trained for that) and the principal just tells me that it's wrong without saying WHAT is wrong.
I was also told I would have a contract for three years, but during a meeting with the principal, she told me that I'm not doing anything and I shouldn't be a teacher (and implied that she's going to blacklist me so I can't find another job in this town).
I wake up every morning having a panic attack (I've had the last two days off) and I don't know what to do...

Does anyone have any advice?

P.S. Sorry for the long post.

Carinthium
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2017, 7:49 pm

I've never tried to advise people before so apologies if this is crap, but since nobody's responding I figure crap advice is better than nothing. Also, feel free to pick and choose advice from here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Start with feeling better in the short term so you can calm down and think. Especially if you don't exercise, plan a walking route so long that you get utterly exhausted (yet is physically safe of course). If you have anyone in real life, who is supportive, spend time talking to them (phone or in person) to get supported and feel better more to work out your frustration than anything else.

I haven't faced anything like what you have, but if you can't get support another good method would be to complain in extensive detail on here. Binge-eating good food helps slightly but should be more a fallback out of desperation. If you have sleeping problems, a bit of good tea will help for a while but ultimately wear off. Alcohol will be bad for your sleep but if you're desperate some light alcohol actually helps in the short term. Otherwise, chocolate maybe?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
All of the below will seem very hard, so I recommend the above first.

Next, go through their behavior and try to determine if you have a discrimination case. I can't tell from what you've given me (though I'm willing to try if you can tell me more). If you do, you might be able to sue. Even if you can't, at least you know for sure that you are in the right and not them.

IF you have enough internal strength to be confident, ask to meet and ask what is wrong with what you do. Maybe suggest possibilities and ask if they are it. If they don't have an answer, it's probably discrimination. I've never been a teacher, but maybe start trying to enforce very harsh punishments on the kids? If they won't get into line from you, call somebody for help first.

If you don't have enough strength to do this confidently, then although it's easier said than done start looking for a Plan B. Even if you don't intend to use it, creating a secure fallback if you do get fired will make it easier not to panic and easier to be confident with your boss and the children.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2017, 8:16 am

Hello,

Fellow past Tech instructor here.
Though i worked at a Community college and not grade school, I'll help where I can.

My advice to you is this, whenever these kids are assaulting you, you need to report the incident and have them sent to detention. These kids sound very troubled and likely are taking out their anger and resentment at home at you which is inexcusable.

If you feel like your life is in danger, call the cops.
Are there security personal in your school? Can you ask them to come by the next time this incident happens?

Also, how is the principal applying that you aren't doing anything?
Are you not teaching classes?

Show them your work if they think you're just sitting around and give them a weekly report to keep them off your backs. There's no blacklist, she or he will likely just give your next employer bad wraps about you, so I don't suggest having them as a reference. Just switch towns or states if it becomes a problem.

Also document the contract in case you need to go to court, this contract will prove that you've worked there during xyz.

Legal Resources - Defending Against Student Assault

Teacher Assaulted by Student

When Teacher is Assaulted by Student

lisa.c wrote:
Hey everyone,
I'm a first year teacher and I'm having a lot of problems. I stupidly took a job in a new city where I have no support system, and things at work are getting worse.
I've been there for about six months now, and every single day I've been hit, punched or sworn at by kids and I don't get any help.
I've planned whole units of work for the whole school (I am currently the Technology teacher for the whole school, even though I'm not trained for that) and the principal just tells me that it's wrong without saying WHAT is wrong.
I was also told I would have a contract for three years, but during a meeting with the principal, she told me that I'm not doing anything and I shouldn't be a teacher (and implied that she's going to blacklist me so I can't find another job in this town).
I wake up every morning having a panic attack (I've had the last two days off) and I don't know what to do...

Does anyone have any advice?

P.S. Sorry for the long post.

Based on what she wrote, I don't think she has much of a case.
She's under a contract so there's likely a clause somewhere that says she can be let go for any reason.

Being told that she's going to be blacklisted for not doing anything isn't professional but not enough to prove due cause.

If she can prove that she was assaulted and no one reported it or helped her when she called the proper channels "Security" then she has a case for an assault charge.

But discrimination cases have to go through the EEOC and be approved before charges can be brought to court.
Sorry, if you're not in the US, I am not aware of any laws or regulations outside of the US, so if you're located elsewhere I suggest reaching out to a lawyer to determine your options.

Carinthium wrote:
Next, go through their behavior and try to determine if you have a discrimination case. I can't tell from what you've given me (though I'm willing to try if you can tell me more). If you do, you might be able to sue. Even if you can't, at least you know for sure that you are in the right and not them.