Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

15 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask everyone if they have any advice for a new student going to Community College. I have been stressing out because I really don't know what to expect. Can anyone tell me what I should expect when going community college? Thanks!

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 6:17 pm

Try to not get your hopes up when you go. I've attended Temple College (I've lived in Temple, Texas all my life) and it's not much different than high school. If you don't know anyone, you will be alone most of the time since people tend to stay in their social circles or just look at their cellphones. The class choices tend to be limited but it's better to ask and be told no than wonder what they could say.

If you want to spare yourself a lot of mental pain, I suggest go to your class(es) and then leave as soon as you can. I am sorry I don't sound encouraging but that is how my experiences with community college has been like and I hope you can atleast protect yourself from excess suffering.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 12:37 pm

Have you gone yet?

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2017, 12:41 pm

Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

Nope, I start on the 28th. I forgot to reply to your post, sorry about that. Hopefully it will work out good. I'm not expecting it to be perfect. I just expect it to be different or something. :lol:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 1:23 pm

skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

Nope, I start on the 28th. I forgot to reply to your post, sorry about that. Hopefully it will work out good. I'm not expecting it to be perfect. I just expect it to be different or something. :lol:

I see. Since you live in Texas like I do, please avoid the student lounge unless you can put up being around rednecks and ghetto kids. In my experience, it's not an aspie friendly zone.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2017, 1:32 pm

Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

I see. Since you live in Texas like I do, please avoid the student lounge unless you can put up being around rednecks and ghetto kids. In my experience, it's not an aspie friendly zone.

LOL will do :)

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 2:37 pm

Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

I wouldn't just say avoid it, maybe be cautious. And really it depends on the college you go to what kind of people you will meet. Like where I lived before I moved, I wouldn't have met any rednecks... Ghetto kids on the other hand, yeah they would have been everywhere! Say if you lived in Houston(which is where I live now.) You would have much more diversity in the people you meet!

So I wouldn't avoid it all together, when I think about it the people you met in high school would be a good indicator to what type of people you will most likely see in college!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 10:03 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

I wouldn't just say avoid it, maybe be cautious. And really it depends on the college you go to what kind of people you will meet. Like where I lived before I moved, I wouldn't have met any rednecks... Ghetto kids on the other hand, yeah they would have been everywhere! Say if you lived in Houston(which is where I live now.) You would have much more diversity in the people you meet!

So I wouldn't avoid it all together, when I think about it the people you met in high school would be a good indicator to what type of people you will most likely see in college!

I went to a school that had both rednecks and ghetto kids who thought heavy metal music was either "devil worship" or "just screaming" and were both thick headed macho morons. Many of them as well as others like them went to the college I did.

I tried to look into potential services for aspies. The only club I was offered was an LGBT club but my mother freaked out about it. There was a program called Trios that I was told would be helpful to me but I couldn't join without presenting them a certain record (I forget what it was called) and my mother refused to give me access to it. My mother has squandered a lot of potential oppurtunities for me.

I did try to look into other clubs when I attended again earlier this year (Dropped out of my summer class out of frustration and I don't think I'll ever go back now) and despite being given a whole list of clubs, I was told none were open and I would have to ask people personally if they wanted to join. The problem was that most of the people on the campus had their vision locked onto their cellphone screens and didn't want to socialize. I also felt the club coordinator was being lazy since she had all these club listings but was sitting in her office doing nothing about them.
I tend to think it's partly because I wasn't a ghetto kid which is the predominant demographic at the school and she thought I was some "rich white boy" due to how I look. The thing is that most other white people hate me for being non-religious as well as liking heavy metal. I don't fit in anywhere. I look like the average white person but internally I am very different.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 10:57 pm

Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

I went to a school that had both rednecks and ghetto kids who thought heavy metal music was either "devil worship" or "just screaming" and were both thick headed macho morons. Many of them as well as others like them went to the college I did.

I tried to look into potential services for aspies. The only club I was offered was an LGBT club but my mother freaked out about it. There was a program called Trios that I was told would be helpful to me but I couldn't join without presenting them a certain record (I forget what it was called) and my mother refused to give me access to it. My mother has squandered a lot of potential oppurtunities for me.

I did try to look into other clubs when I attended again earlier this year (Dropped out of my summer class out of frustration and I don't think I'll ever go back now) and despite being given a whole list of clubs, I was told none were open and I would have to ask people personally if they wanted to join. The problem was that most of the people on the campus had their vision locked onto their cellphone screens and didn't want to socialize. I also felt the club coordinator was being lazy since she had all these club listings but was sitting in her office doing nothing about them.
I tend to think it's partly because I wasn't a ghetto kid which is the predominant demographic at the school and she thought I was some "rich white boy" due to how I look. The thing is that most other white people hate me for being non-religious as well as liking heavy metal. I don't fit in anywhere. I look like the average white person but internally I am very different.

Sorry you had to go through all of that Marknis... I pretty sure you fit somewhere, just have to find it! Maybe you could mention some of your hobbies on this site, I'm pretty sure there will be other people who like it. What do you feel like internally anyway?

Skiddlebugz, 28th, are you prepared? Are you nervous? What you expect your first year to be like? :D

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 9:40 am

AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

Sorry you had to go through all of that Marknis... I pretty sure you fit somewhere, just have to find it! Maybe you could mention some of your hobbies on this site, I'm pretty sure there will be other people who like it. What do you feel like internally anyway?

I feel troubled most of the time internally. I don't know what I should do with myself because I don't think I am good at anything and I feel like a failure for being at my age (29) but not knowing what I want in life.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2017, 9:50 am

AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

Skiddlebugz, 28th, are you prepared? Are you nervous? What you expect your first year to be like? :D

I'm kind of prepared. My parents don't think I will have school because of this storm. Hopefully it doesn't. I'm expecting my year to be more serious than high school. More homework and studying.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2017, 9:53 am

Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

I feel troubled most of the time internally. I don't know what I should do with myself because I don't think I am good at anything and I feel like a failure for being at my age (29) but not knowing what I want in life.

Marknis, I feel that way sometimes too. It's hard trying to figure out what to do in life.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 12:59 pm

Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

I feel that way every now and then but I think to myself "I'm autistic, I live in a NTs world, why am I putting so much pressure on myself to be as good as an NT when everything is stacked in their favor!?" It's like trying to beat another sports team when they have better strength, skill, speed, etc. So instead, I make do with what I got!(But, I don't give up and still try!)

Skiddlebugz, hope you're able to go on the 28th, it would suck to have to wait(I know for me it's bad as it causes me to have more time to back out, which happened when I attempted to go to college.)

Skiddlebugz everytime I see your username, it reminds me of the song "Wake me Up Before You Go-Go." The beginning of the song says Jitterbug yet instead I say Skiddlebugz! Just a funny thing to mention. :D

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

I feel that way every now and then but I think to myself "I'm autistic, I live in a NTs world, why am I putting so much pressure on myself to be as good as an NT when everything is stacked in their favor!?" It's like trying to beat another sports team when they have better strength, skill, speed, etc. So instead, I make do with what I got!(But, I don't give up and still try!)

Skiddlebugz, hope you're able to go on the 28th, it would suck to have to wait(I know for me it's bad as it causes me to have more time to back out, which happened when I attempted to go to college.)

Skiddlebugz everytime I see your username, it reminds me of the song "Wake me Up Before You Go-Go." The beginning of the song says Jitterbug yet instead I say Skiddlebugz! Just a funny thing to mention. :D

LOL, that's funny! :lol:

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 1:39 pm

skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
AquaineBay wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Have you gone yet?

Marknis, I feel that way sometimes too. It's hard trying to figure out what to do in life.

I think what hurts most is getting asked questions like "Are you married?" and "What are your career plans?" when I don't even date and I don't even have an associates degree. I am 29 years old and I feel like my time is running out. My best years seem to be behind me and I only have death to look forward to.

I hoped college would offer more possibilities and oppurtunities. I was actually told by others it would be better for me than high school was and I feel so deceived that it wasn't. The first sign of it being disappointing was taking the accuplacer entrance exam and flunking the math portion so I had to do mandatory math; I have untreated dyscalculia which makes math difficult for me to the point it wears my brain out. I was also starting my job as well and could only fit two classes in my schedule. The stress of the math class affected my performance in the other classes I took and I either got fewer credits than what I could've earned or flunked the classes.

I finally crammed like crazy on the mandatory math and passed it so I will never have to do mandatory math again but I was so burned out by then I didn't go back for the remainder of the year. I was also suffering from an unrequited love spell and exasperation from dating websites being unsuccessful for me. I've tried classes on and off but they just keep reminding me why I hate the place so much. I found out that I still have to take another math class if I want an associates even though I no longer have to do mandatory math but it's still daunting for me.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2017, 4:47 pm

The first day of college went well! :D