Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2017, 6:13 pm

skiddlebugz wrote:
The first day of college went well! :D

That's good to hear. I hated my first day so much I wanted to quit even before I had my first class.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2017, 11:05 am

AquaineBay wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:

Really! So what made it go well!?

Well, I think it's because it felt like high school :lol: It felt like there was not much of a difference. Hopefully it will be a good first semester!

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2017, 11:06 am

Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:

That's good to hear. I hated my first day so much I wanted to quit even before I had my first class.

I'm sorry about that. :(

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:21 am

skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:

Thank you. I had a lot of false hope poured into me by other people who said it was going to be better than high school. I felt so deceived when it was essentially high school all over again. The summer of '09 was so grueling I honestly thought the stress was going to kill me. I had an unrequited love spell, the math class was taxing all my mental energy, dating sites were unproductive, and I saw more walls rather than oppurtunities.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

29 Aug 2017, 11:55 am

Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:

Thank you. I had a lot of false hope poured into me by other people who said it was going to be better than high school. I felt so deceived when it was essentially high school all over again. The summer of '09 was so grueling I honestly thought the stress was going to kill me. I had an unrequited love spell, the math class was taxing all my mental energy, dating sites were unproductive, and I saw more walls rather than oppurtunities.

I understand, I thought it would something beyond what High school was like but when I went to my first day.
And I'm going to tell you what my Mom told me when I asked if college didn't work out for me. "College isn't for everyone, if it isn't for you then you will be ok. Plans change.".

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 8:47 am

skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:

I understand, I thought it would something beyond what High school was like but when I went to my first day.
And I'm going to tell you what my Mom told me when I asked if college didn't work out for me. "College isn't for everyone, if it isn't for you then you will be ok. Plans change.".

My mother thinks the opposite. She thinks I just need to "suck it up" and keep doing it because she said that is what she did. But she had friends and a boyfriend when she was in college. I have no friends going to school (Atleast not with me) and I don't have a girlfriend. :(

Because I don't have a degree, my mother thinks I'll never get another job besides fast food if I leave the library.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2017, 8:57 am

Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:
Marknis wrote:
skiddlebugz wrote:

My mother thinks the opposite. She thinks I just need to "suck it up" and keep doing it because she said that is what she did. But she had friends and a boyfriend when she was in college. I have no friends going to school (Atleast not with me) and I don't have a girlfriend. :(

Because I don't have a degree, my mother thinks I'll never get another job besides fast food if I leave the library.

Well, she is wrong. Example, HEB is a good place for a job. My dad works in the transportation department and my brother started out as a bagger when he started last year. He just got a job in the business administration department at one of the stores. Oh and maybe at a bank, you can work in the calling centers. I'm listing these things because my Brother doesn't have a degree yet and he works in a good paying job. Also, my Brothers Girlfriend works in the fraud department at citi bank and she doesn't have a degree either. Don't give up okay? There are thousands of jobs out there that aren't fast food related.

SixthTitan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2017, 9:19 am

Study hard.
Don't waste the teacher's time by looking up your friends on social media.
Pay attention and ask questions in class.
Don't be afraid to ask for help during or after class, teachers love it.
With that being said, don't ask too much they'll get iirated if you bug them way to often maybe a few questions a week if you're struggling.

Figure out what you want to do now, it becomes more of a problem for you later if you change majors.
Use the career services as much as possible.

Hope this helps

skiddlebugz wrote:
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask everyone if they have any advice for a new student going to Community College. I have been stressing out because I really don't know what to expect. Can anyone tell me what I should expect when going community college? Thanks!

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

01 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm

SixthTitan wrote:
Study hard.
Don't waste the teacher's time by looking up your friends on social media.
Pay attention and ask questions in class.
Don't be afraid to ask for help during or after class, teachers love it.
With that being said, don't ask too much they'll get iirated if you bug them way to often maybe a few questions a week if you're struggling.

Figure out what you want to do now, it becomes more of a problem for you later if you change majors.
Use the career services as much as possible.

Hope this helps

skiddlebugz wrote:
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask everyone if they have any advice for a new student going to Community College. I have been stressing out because I really don't know what to expect. Can anyone tell me what I should expect when going community college? Thanks!

Thank you! Every bit of advice helps! :D