Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:41 am

Don't be the person everyone can count on is the flip side of my advice. Don't act to eager when someone extends an invitation to you for anything. If you seem too happy than they'll know you are of low status. You have to play hard to get with others. People don't gravitate towards others that are too easy to get. It looks needy and is a turnoff.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 8:56 am

If one acts too eager to please some "other," that "other" is not apt to really please the one.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 18 Aug 2017, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 9:13 am

Right, Krafty. I was going for that effect. People tend to have no respect for doormats.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2017, 6:47 pm

I generally will help someone who needs to get thru a tough situation purely for the satisfaction of knowing I helped them. IOW, if not for me and my efforts, they would be in much worse shape. But I don't expect any direct return from them.

Especially considering how much I hate to ask for help with anything. I would much rather pay more, go the long way, or spend more time preparing than to have to ask someone to help me. Besides, that way I don't have to explain to them A what I'm trying to do and B, why I want to do it. Much better for me to just take care of all of it myself.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 8:30 pm

Some people are takers and never givers, but those are the only ones to be avoided. In the end it's best to ensure you're able to take care of yourself just in case, because you never really know. Maybe your friends won't be in any position to help, either.

I agree that if you're going to lend something like money, only do so if you're okay with never seeing it again. Same for your possessions, unless they're a very close friend.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 7:12 am

I never said all people were like that. I do however stand by my statement. Watch what you put into relationships. Don't allow it to be one sided.