Baltimore: ALL Confederate Statues Have Now Been Removed

Page 54 of 57 [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2021, 5:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:
I know I say I dont support BLM but that's not because I have a racist grudge against people of color. It's just that I don't agree with a lot of things they believe. I don't believe that every white person is racist because if that were really true we wouldnt have had white people in this country who fought in the Civil War to free slaves out of sympathy. I feel like that should be common sense. :|

One can be racist and still see forms of racism as a bridge too far. Even a lot of abolitionists were racist.

Pointing out that racist views are common and often go unquestioned isn't the same as condemning everyone who holds those views as terrible. People can improve and grow. I'm sure there's forms of bigotry that you might have once accepted that you're now more able to understand as problematic.

The only problem is that BLM is speaking the truth too plainly because no one wants to be called racist or worse, to have to admit to themselves that it's true, but that doesn't mean the problem isn't more widespread then anyone wants to admit. That's one of the reasons why most people who get accused of racism try to deflect by pointing out a worse example, or bigger, more obvious version in hopes they'll dodge the accusation.

Sometimes one just needs to accept the accusation and figure out why it was made in order to understand if it's valid and how severe it was. Often it seems like making a blanket observation of a shared experience is treated as a bigger deal than what motivates the observation.

I guess I never really thought of it like this...

You have a very good point.

♤ The Military

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:34 am

NYC commission votes unanimously to move Thomas Jefferson statue from City Council chambers

Quote:
The New York City Public Design Commission voted unanimously Monday to move a controversial 188-year-old statue of Thomas Jefferson from the City Council chambers a City Hall.

However, where that statue will be moved to remains up in the air.

The statue, which dates back to 1833, was expected to go on "long term loan" to the New-York Historical Society by the end of the year, where it would be included in educational exhibits with the proper historical context that likely will include discussion of Jefferson's slave ownership.

But members of the commission disagreed over the initial plans because the New-York Historical Society charges a fee

The members agreed to find an appropriate home for the statue by the end of the year.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 5:45 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
NYC commission votes unanimously to move Thomas Jefferson statue from City Council chambers
Quote:
The New York City Public Design Commission voted unanimously Monday to move a controversial 188-year-old statue of Thomas Jefferson from the City Council chambers a City Hall.

The statue, which dates back to 1833, was expected to go on "long term loan" to the New-York Historical Society by the end of the year, where it would be included in educational exhibits with the proper historical context that likely will include discussion of Jefferson's slave ownership.

But members of the commission disagreed over the initial plans because the New-York Historical Society charges a fee

The members agreed to find an appropriate home for the statue by the end of the year.

I imagine all the young black women get the creeps when they see jefferson ogling them.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 8:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:

I imagine all the young black women get the creeps when they see jefferson ogling them.

I imagine they they do not even notice, they are busy trying to get to where they are going. Imagine is the key word here.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2021, 9:27 pm

Now the office can imagine without a monument to jefferson.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 10:57 am

What are we going to do about Mt Rushmore?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... -americans

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2021, 6:40 pm

Misslizard wrote:
What are we going to do about Mt Rushmore?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... -americans

:lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 4:17 am

City Hall's Thomas Jefferson statue to be moved to NY Historical Society

Quote:

The City Hall statue of Thomas Jefferson will find a new home inside an Upper West Side private museum after the Public Design Commission unanimously voted to oust the 188-year-old monument over his slave ownership and beliefs.

The New York Post reports the commission will meet Monday to discuss a long-term loan of the statue to the New York Historical Society, despite earlier concerns the $22 adult admission fee at the privately-run institution would limit some.

Commission President Signe Nielsen and others at first rejected the Historical Society move and reportedly proposed relocating the statue of the nation's third president to a different part of City Hall or the New York Public Library.

However, documents show members became reluctant to the switch noting the museum's "pay-as-you-go" admission on Friday evenings and its placement in the lobby for “approximately six months” — would allow more to see it — until the statue is eventually moved in the corner of a reading room.

"We’re confident the statue will land in an accessible location that puts Jefferson’s legacy in its full historical context," said mayoral spokesperson Mitch Schwartz to the Post.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 5:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Well, I guess Trump called that one right.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 9:03 am

Jefferson deplored slavery in theory----but he was economically dependent upon the "peculiar institution."

Lots of contradictions in the man......

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2021, 9:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Jefferson deplored slavery in theory----but he was economically dependent upon the "peculiar institution."

I wouldn't be surprised how much of a dilemma the whole debate would have been for the founding fathers and the level of contradiction in their own contribution both as participants in the institutions and to perpetuating the institution in the constitution of the fledgling US state.

In the great rush to erase history and oppose CRT among the things swept under the carpet was the economic role of slavery in building the US.
https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/8/1 ... rd-baptist

Washington and Jefferson's dilemma was how reliant their new country was on an evil enterprise. I wouldn't be surprised they spent many hours burning the midnight oil in reconciling the devilish reliance on slaves with the doctrine of freedom which is the cornerstone of the US constitution. One the great works of spin in world history.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 5:31 pm

Controversial Teddy Roosevelt statue moving from NYC’s Museum of Natural History to North Dakota

Quote:
The Rough Rider is mounting up and moving on.

An American Museum of Natural History statue of former President Theodore Roosevelt, which has been criticized for glorifying colonialism and racial discrimination, is being relocated to North Dakota.

For 80 years the Roosevelt statue stood sentry outside the museum, riding a horse and towering over an African man and a Native American man. Roosevelt’s own descendants conceded the depiction is “troubling” and signed off on the statue’s removal.

Now, T.R. is headed for Medora, N.D., where the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library is set to open in 2026 — the 250th anniversary of the United States.

Although Roosevelt was born in Manhattan,and was governor of New York before running the country, his library will be built on a site near Theodore Roosevelt National Park, which preserves landscapes the pioneering conservationist visited in between 1883 and 1887.

The Equestrian Statue is problematic in its hierarchical depiction of its subjects and should be removed,” Theodore Roosevelt V said in a statement. “Rather than burying a troubling work of art, we ought to learn from it. It is fitting that the statue is being relocated to a place where its composition can be recontextualized to facilitate difficult, complex and inclusive discussions.”

The Equestrian Statue, designed by James Earle Fraser, may undergo some changes before it is put back on display, according to the library commission.

The statue was vandalized with red paint in 2017. Last year, Mayor de Blasio called the statue “problematic” amid a racial reckoning caused by the police killing of George Floyd.

Georgia Regents Cite Lessons From History as They Decide Not to Rename Any Buildings
Quote:
Georgia's public university systems announced Monday that will not rename any buildings or colleges that were recommended for changes due to name association with slavery, segregation, or other social issues.

An internal committee created more than a year ago to study the naming issues recommended the university system should rename 75 buildings and colleges. However, the system's regents voted not to make any name changes.

"History can teach us important lessons, lessons that if understood and applied make Georgia and its people stronger," the regents said in a statement unanimously adopted by the board at a meeting.

The state of Georgia passed a law in 2019 prohibiting state and local agencies from renaming any buildings that are named after a "historical entity", or of removing any historical monuments.

Some local Georgia governments have gone against this, removing monuments and renaming buildings that were associated with names of Confederates, slaveholders or white supremacists.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 6:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Important historic men almost always seem to be full of contradictions, don’t they?

We are going to have to learn how to embrace the good things they accomplished while still seeing the whole of who they are, and not unintentionally celebrating the bad.

One benefit of statutes is preserving likeness. I don’t want that to end.

But we are likely to have to rethink what our statutes mean and how they get used. One step at a time, I guess.

Knowing how complicated someone like Jefferson was should remind us that even people with bad behaviors can be assets to our society. Don’t celebrate or scorn; find the best way to use their talents and negate their liabilities.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 6:40 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
But we are likely to have to rethink what our statutes mean and how they get used. One step at a time, I guess.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 4:30 am

Fascinating connection between Melbourne's inner north council name of Moreland and slavery in north America,

According to the council, the land between Moonee Ponds Creek and Sydney Road was named 'Moreland' by Farquhar McCrae after he acquired it in 1839. It is believed he named the land 'Moreland' after a Jamaican slave estate his father and grandfather operated.

Moreland Mayor Mark Riley said the council was "shocked and deeply saddened" to learn about the roots of the name. "The history behind the naming of this area is painful, uncomfortable and very wrong. It needs to be addressed," he said. They are proposing changing the name of the whole council to remove any connection to the slave trade.

Cr Riley said any new name would be developed after a full consultation process with the Moreland community and that ultimately, the State Government would have to make the change.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/morel ... 93123fd1af

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 1:34 pm

ISIS doing its bit.

8)