Baltimore: ALL Confederate Statues Have Now Been Removed

Page 55 of 57 [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 4:41 pm

Long Island street named for KKK leader getting new title
Behind a paywall

Quote:
A group of students turned a school project into renaming a street, which has stood for a century for a Long Island KKK leader.

The Malverne Village Board voted unanimously Thursday night to rename Lindner Place, named for Paul Lindner, an early Malverne settler who was a 1920s-era leader of the local Ku Klux Klan chapter.

Malverne students have been advocating to find a street name besides Lindner for two years and joined other community members last month to petition the board to change it.

The street runs next to the Malverne Public Library and Maurice W. Dowling Elementary School — formerly known as Lindner Place Elementary. In 1963, the school was one of the first schools statewide that was forced to desegregate and allow Black students to attend.

As a KKK leader, Lindner helped orchestrate cross burnings and marches on Long Island and in New York City, according to a report by high school students and other community members.

Organizers said in their report that "a street bearing the name of the person who was the unquestioned leader of the Ku Klux Klan on Long Island in the 1920s damages our village and its reputation. It has been damaging our village for decades.”

Board members were unanimous Thursday in their condemnation of the KKK origins of the street name, noting that Lindner named the street after himself before Malverne was a village. Mayor Keith Corbett said Malverne is known as “Mayberry” and is a tolerant place to raise a family.

“This is not something the community takes pride in or exemplifies what this community is,” Corbett said. If you’re a child getting off a bus, you can understand the shame and guilt of these children getting out on Lindner Place and understand the perspective of these children.”

The village board must now work with the U.S. Postal Service to change the name and select a new one from about 20 suggestions submitted by students and other community members.

Lindner lived on a farm where most of downtown Malverne currently sits.

The KKK led cross burnings in East Rockaway, Freeport, Hempstead, Long Beach and Lynbrook, and twice burned down an orphanage for Black children, according to the report, compiled by residents and students, among them, 15-year-old Olivia Brown.

“We had the ability to research all sides but we realized this is not a two-sided topic and it was clear that Paul Lindner was not a good person,” Brown said. “We were grateful to know our opinions are welcome and heard and we have a space to share our thoughts.”

Malverne schools Superintendent Lorna Lewis said she saw the renaming as a graduation present for her students.

bolding=mine

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2022, 6:52 pm

This reminds me of teaching a child to vacuum floors or sweep dirt,

The American people are like children who are being constantly scolded/told to remove all the dirt on the floor including the dirt hidden in corners not just the obvious muck in plain sight,.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2022, 12:44 pm

West Point expected to be ordered to take down portrait of Robert E. Lee

Quote:
For 70 years, the slave-owning Confederate general Robert E. Lee has stared down at West Point cadets from a massive portrait in the academy’s library, a slave guiding his horse in the background.

But that portrait could be coming down.

The commission that was established to rename military bases that honor Confederate generals is expected to recommend that West Point remove the 20-foot portrait of Lee in his gray Confederate uniform, according to two people familiar with the group’s deliberations.

The commander of the Confederate Army, who served as superintendent from Sept. 1, 1852, to March 31, 1855, before breaking up with the Union, has a long and complicated history with West Point. His name and likeness are all over the New York campus, from street signs to another portrait hanging in the dining hall. But the portrait in the library has drawn particular scrutiny.

Other depictions of Lee as superintendent, before the Civil War, are more of a gray area. One portrait, gifted to the academy by the Daughters of the Confederacy in 1931 and displayed in the dining hall, depicts Lee in his blue U.S. military uniform.

The commission is expected to recommend that West Point — which is now led by the first Black superintendent in its history, Army Lt. Gen. Darryl Williams — remove anything that commemorates Lee in association with the Confederacy, one of the people said. Anything “historic” that commemorates Lee when he was superintendent may remain. A spokesperson for the commission declined to comment.

The commission will submit its recommendations, which have not yet been finalized, in a written report to Congress by Oct. 1, as mandated by the fiscal 2021 National Defense Authorization Act. Congress and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, the nation’s first Black defense secretary, must approve the recommendations.

CMA prohibits Confederate flag imagery at 2022 Country Music Festival
Quote:
CMA Fest says no Confederate flag imagery will be allowed at the 2022 Country Music Festival in June.
“Confederate flag imagery of any kind” was listed under the festival’s prohibited items after the event had been canceled the past two years because of COVID-19.

“In line with our first CMA Fest lineup announcement in early April, our event policy was published on our website, which states any behavior that causes one of our attendees to fear for their personal safety will not be tolerated, and that is inclusive of any displays of the Confederate flag,” CMA said in a statement to The Tennessean.

The organization went further to say they “always had policies” that were meant to “ban discrimination.”

“We felt it was important to further refine our language to explicitly outline what will and will not be tolerated,” they added.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 1:23 am

Looks like the progressives are winning battles against those wanting to protect cultural icons of a bygone era they want to perpetuate.

Culture wars....continue...

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 1:35 am

Since one of these incidents took place in my city not far from where I live I'll voice my opinion on the matter.

The statue was on a nice walking and sightseeing street. Its a bronze statue of some dude on a horse. Pretty typical stuff for a city downtown.

Now there are riot barricades, trash, and everything is covered in graffiti, with an ugly concrete ruin in the middle at the key intersection of that street. How's that an improvement for the community? That place isn't nice to visit anymore.

I rest my case.

I'm siding with the innocent horse. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 6:51 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Since one of these incidents took place in my city not far from where I live I'll voice my opinion on the matter.

The statue was on a nice walking and sightseeing street. Its a bronze statue of some dude on a horse. Pretty typical stuff for a city downtown.

Now there are riot barricades, trash, and everything is covered in graffiti, with an ugly concrete ruin in the middle at the key intersection of that street. How's that an improvement for the community? That place isn't nice to visit anymore.

I rest my case.

I'm siding with the innocent horse. :lol:

Valid point Most young people probably don't even notice it's there.

ScarletShark
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 7:38 am

Yeah, and I’m sure all the hate and racism will instantly be cured. What is it going to take to get through to people that statues are not racist—racism and hatred is found in the heart, and no attempt to whitewash history is going to change that fact.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 1:57 am

ScarletShark wrote:
Yeah, and I’m sure all the hate and racism will instantly be cured. What is it going to take to get through to people that statues are not racist—racism and hatred is found in the heart, and no attempt to whitewash history is going to change that fact.

The problem is when the whitewashing starts at a young age when the kid is in an all-white school then its a little hard to dislodge from the heart.

All these statues do is perpetuate myths of glory days.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 2:06 am

They'll have to get past my guns to take away my General Lee statue j/k

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 2:26 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
They'll have to get past my guns to take away my General Lee statue j/k

Good luck.

Why not move the statue into the public restrooms then people can reflect on general Lee while they relieve themselves on his face.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:38 pm

Panel Advises Removal of Confederate Statue at Arlington National Cemetery

Quote:
An independent commission is recommending that the Confederate Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery be dismantled and taken down, as part of its final report to Congress on the renaming of military bases and assets that commemorate the Confederacy.

Panel members on Tuesday rolled out the final list of ships, base roads, buildings and other items that they said should be renamed. But unlike the commission's recommendations earlier this year laying out new names for nine Army bases, there were no suggested names for the roughly 1,100 assets across the military that bear Confederate names.

Retired Army Brig. Gen. Ty Seidule, vice-chair of the commission, said the final cost for all of its renaming recommendations will be $62,450,030. The total for the latest changes announced Tuesday is $40,957,729, and is included in that amount.

The latest group of assets includes everything from the Arlington memorial, two Navy ships and some Army vessels to street signs, water towers, athletic fields, hospital doors and even decals on recycling bins, according to the panel.

The latest group of assets includes everything from the Arlington memorial, two Navy ships and some Army vessels to street signs, water towers, athletic fields, hospital doors and even decals on recycling bins, according to the panel.

The bulk of the remaining costs — or $21,041,301 — would cover the renaming of nine Army bases, and about $450,000 for recommended new names at the U.S. Military at West Point in New York.

Seidule said the panel determined that the memorial at Arlington was “problematic from top to bottom.” He said the panel recommended that it be entirely removed, with only the granite base remaining.

The statue, unveiled in 1914, features a bronze woman, crowned with olive leaves, standing on a 32-foot pedestal, and was designed to represent the American South. According to Arlington, the woman holds a laurel wreath, a plow stock and a pruning hook, with a Biblical inscription at her feet that says: “They have beat their swords into plough-shares and their spears into pruning hooks.”

The pedestal features 14 shields, engraved with the coats of arms of the 13 Confederate states and Maryland, which didn't secede or join the Confederacy. Some of the figures also on the statue include a slave woman depicted as “Mammy” holding what is said to be the child of a white officer, and an enslaved man following his owner to war.

And the Latin inscription translates to: “The victorious cause was pleasing to the gods, but the lost cause to Cato,” and was meant to equate the South’s secession to a noble “lost cause.”

For years, U.S. military officials had defended the naming of bases after Confederate officers. As recently as 2015 the Army argued that the names did not honor the rebel cause but were a gesture of reconciliation with the South.

The secretary of defense is expected to implement the commission’s plan no later than Jan. 1, 2024.

The panel also is recommending that the department set up a process to try and save money and efficiently change the names. And it said the secretary of defense should authorize the military service secretaries and other leaders to remove smaller items — such as portraits, plaques and awards — that honor the Confederacy or those who served in it.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 18 Sep 2022, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:39 pm

ScarletShark wrote:

How is it 'white-washing' to acknowledge that maybe these men don't deserve to be glorified? :chin:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2022, 1:44 pm

ScarletShark wrote:

The status quo (Confederate statues up) is "whitewashing" history by honoring folks who supposedly dont deserve to honored. Taking down the statues is putting an end to the long time 'white wash' of history.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 7:23 pm

Philadelphia ordered to remove box covering Columbus statue

Quote:
Philadelphia must remove the plywood box it placed over a statue of Christopher Columbus after 2020 protests over racial injustice, a judge ruled Friday.

In her ruling, Judge Mary Hannah Leavitt said that if the city disagrees with the “message” the statue sends, it can add its own plaque with what it wants to convey.

Kevin Lessard, a spokesman for Democratic Mayor Jim Kenney, said the ruling disappointed officials but the city will respect the judge's decision and remove the box as soon as it’s “practically and logistically feasible.
The statue has been the subject of a long-running dispute between the city and the Friends of Marconi Plaza, where the likeness stands.

It dates to 1876 and was presented to the city by the Italian-American community to commemorate the nation’s centennial, according to the 16-page ruling from the state’s Commonwealth Court.

After protests about racial injustice began in June 2020 and some of them focused on the statue, Kenney ordered its removal, calling it a matter of public safety. But last year a judge reversed the city’s decision, however, saying it had failed to provide evidence that the statue’s removal was necessary to protect the public.

The box covering the statue has been painted in green, white and red bands, mirroring the Italian flag, at the request of the city council member who represents the district.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 9:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It dates to 1876 and was presented to the city by the Italian-American community to commemorate the nation’s centennial, according to the 16-page ruling from the state’s Commonwealth Court.

That explains the Italians threatening to attack BLM protestors. This (ironically) dovetails with what I posted in another thread that African Americans don't feel they have allies in immigrant communities.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 8:59 pm

Confederate monument set to be removed from Virginia capital

Quote:
Work to relocate Richmond’s final city-owned Confederate monument should start this week after a judge refused a request to delay the removal of the statue of Gen. A.P. Hill from its prominent spot in Virginia's capital, an official said.

Richmond Circuit Court Judge David Eugene Cheek Sr. last week rejected a motion from four indirect descendants of Hill, who was killed in the final days of the Civil War, to stop the city’s removal plans.

Though the process of removing the monument from a busy intersection should start Monday, it's unclear if it would be removed entirely by the end of the week, city deputy chief administrative officer Robert Steidel told WRIC-TV.

The city, a onetime capital of the Confederacy, began removing its many other Confederate monuments more than two years ago amid the racial justice protests that followed George Floyd’s murder. Among the notable monuments removed was an imposing statue of Gen. Stonewall Jackson, which was taken down from a concrete pedestal in 2020 along Richmond, Virginia’s famed Monument Avenue.

Richmond officials decided to convey the monuments to the Black History Museum and Cultural Center of Virginia. But efforts to remove the Hill statue have been complicated because the general’s remains were buried beneath the monument in 1891.

The indirect descendants and the city have agreed that Richmond’s plan to move Hill’s remains to a cemetery in Culpeper should be allowed to move forward. But these descendants contend they have control over the statue and want it relocated to Cedar Mountain Battlefield, near the cemetery, instead of to the museum. Cheek ruled against them in October.

In the most recent hearing, Cheek denied their motion to stay the removal of the Hill monument while the descendants press an appeal with the Virginia Court of Appeals.

The city has spent at least $1.8 million removing other city-owned monuments, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported. Cheek determined that delaying the removal would result in additional cost and retain a potential traffic hazard.

The monument will be kept in storage while the case goes through the expected appeal process, Steidel said in court last week.