Baltimore: ALL Confederate Statues Have Now Been Removed

Page 49 of 57 [ 902 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 57  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 9:11 pm

From Bumper Stickers to T-Shirts, Confederate Flags Now Officially Off-Limits for Marines

Quote:
Marines got the official order to remove all items featuring the Confederate battle flag from public areas and workspaces Friday night as protests across the country continue into their 11th day following the death of George Floyd.

Marines can no longer wear T-shirts or drink coffee from mugs featuring Confederate flags on base, according to new force-wide guidance on the ban. The ban also applies to bumper stickers, posters and any other public displays of the flag on Marine Corps installations worldwide.

The Confederate battle flag has all too often been co-opted by violent extremists and racist groups whose divisive beliefs have no place in our Corps," a Marine social media post about the policy states. "This presents a threat to our core values, unit cohesion, security, and good order and discipline. This must be addressed."

The policy directs Marine commanders to identify and remove displays of the Confederate battle flag within workspaces and public or common-access areas on their installations.

The guidance formalizes a directive Commandant Gen. David Berger first gave in February to begin removing Confederate materials from Marine Corps installations. Berger told Military.com in March that the decision was "about focusing on how we can get better."

"Things that divide us are not good," Berger said. "... When on government property, we have to think as a unit and how to build a team, a cohesive team."

None of the other military branches have announced similar policies to bar Confederate displays on base. The Army has faced criticism for its decision not to redesignate bases named for Confederate leaders.

The Marine Corps' new policy states that commanders have the authority to "take reasonable, necessary, and lawful measures to maintain law and order, and to protect installation personnel and property."

Authorized inspection areas include not only work areas on base, but also storage rooms, recreational areas, bathrooms and living quarters -- to include open-bay barracks and shipboard berthing, schoolhouses and yards or external porches on government-owned housing.

"This includes, but is not limited to, depictions of the Confederate battle flag on automobile bumper stickers, clothing, and other apparel," the policy states.

Commanders aren't allowed to conduct inspections for Confederate items in individual barracks rooms, assigned lockers, backpacks, private cars or military housing.

The ban doesn't apply to state flags that incorporate the Confederate flag, state-issued license plates with a depiction of the flag, or Confederate soldiers' grave sites.

The policy also won't apply to areas where the flag is displayed for educational purposes, including the National Museum of the Marine Corps or entry-level training sites, including Marine Corps recruit depots.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2020, 11:11 pm

Decolonisation of the mind is the next phase

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 11:47 am

BLM protesters topple statue of Bristol slave trader Edward Colston

Quote:
Black Lives Matters protesters in Bristol have pulled down a statue of the slave trader Edward Colston.

Demonstrators attached a rope to the grade II-listed statue on Colston Avenue on Sunday before pulling it to the ground as crowds cheered.

They then jumped on it and rolled it down the street to the harbour before pushing it into the river Avon.

The 18ft bronze statue, erected in 1895, has long been a focal point for anger at the city’s role in the slave trade and the continued commemoration of those who were involved in it.

A petition to remove it had garnered more than 11,000 signatures. It said: “Whilst history shouldn’t be forgotten, these people who benefited from the enslavement of individuals do not deserve the honour of a statue. This should be reserved for those who bring about positive change and who fight for peace, equality and social unity.”

Colston’s company transported more than 100,000 slaves from West Africa to the Caribbean and the Americas between 1672 and 1689, cramming them into ships to maximise profit.

The slaves, including women and children, were branded on their chests with the company’s initials, RAC. Unhygienic conditions, dehydration, dysentery and scurvy killed more than 20,000 during the crossings and their bodies were thrown overboard.

Colston gave great sums of money to Bristol, but it was made from slavery.

Action has been taken to erase his name from other parts of the city. Colston Hall, Bristol’s largest concert hall, announced plans to change its name in 2017, and Bristol city council determined in January 2018 that a second plaque should be placed on Colston’s statue highlighting his role in the slave trade but wrangling over the wording delayed it. A portrait of Colston was removed from the lord mayor’s office later the same year.

Opposition to the Colston statue grew at around the same time as the Rhodes Must Fall campaign, which called for the statue of Cecil Rhodes, an ardent imperialist, to be removed from Oriel College, Oxford. The college refused to accede to the demands.

Explaining the reason for the grade II listing, Historic England says: “The statue is of particular historical interest, the subject being Edward Colston, Bristol’s most famous philanthropist, now also noted for his involvement in the slave trade.”

Winston Churchill statue desecrated for second day as protesters daub 'racist' on monument
Quote:
The British war hero's statue in London's Parliament Square has been defaced with Churchill crossed out with black marker pen and the words "is a racist" underneath. Protesters have also pinned a poster to the memorial with the words "Black Lives Matter".

This is the second day the statue has been defaced after protesters graffitied it with neon green writing during Saturday's rally.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 5:24 pm

NASCAR announces ban on confederate flags from all events and properties

Quote:

NASCAR is finally showing a red flag to the confederate flag.

In a major move for the sport of stock-car racing, NASCAR announced it is banning the confederate flag.

“The presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans, our competitors and our industry," NASCAR said in a statement on Wednesday.

“Bringing people together around a love for racing and community that it creates is what makes our fans and sport special. The display of the confederate flag will be prohibited from all NASCAR events and properties.”

The move comes after Bubba Wallace, the lone full-time African-American driver in NASCAR’s top series, demanded the sport take action earlier in the week.

“There should be no individual that is uncomfortable showing up to our events to have a good time with their family that feels some type of way about something they have seen, an object they have seen flying,” Wallace told CNN host Don Lemon on Monday. “No one should feel uncomfortable when they come to a NASCAR race. So it starts with confederate flags. Get them out of here. They have no place for them.”

Wallace will be driving a #BLACKLIVESMATTER car in Wednesday night’s Blue-Emu Maximum Pain Relief 500 at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia. He unveiled the new paint job for his No. 43 Chevy on Tuesday.

The 26-year-old Wallace wore a black “I CAN’T BREATHE"/"Black Lives Matter" T-shirt before Sunday’s race in Atlanta.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 3:10 am

Statues Linked To Racist Past Toppled And Vandalized Around The U.S.

Quote:
Nationwide anger over police brutality and systemic racism has turned toward symbols of America’s troubled past still scattered across the country: statues honoring Confederate figures and colonizers that have long invited heated debate.

In Portsmouth, Virginia, protesters covered a large Confederate monument dating to the 1800s with trash bags and spray paint on Wednesday. A crowd of largely celebratory demonstrators later took bolt cutters and sledgehammers to the heads of the statues, removing them as a marching band blasted triumphantly in the background.

In Richmond, Virginia late Wednesday, demonstrators removed a statue of Confederate President Jefferson Davis:

Outside the Minnesota state Capitol, a statue of Christopher Columbus was pulled down with ropes as protesters cheered. And in other cities this week, similar monuments were beheaded, toppled into lakes, spray painted or ordered removed by local lawmakers.

Lawmakers have treated such calls with vastly different levels of support. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Wednesday she supported the immediate removal of 11 Confederate statues from the U.S. Capitol, calling them “monuments to men who advocated cruelty and barbarism to achieve such a plainly racist end.”

“Their statues pay homage to hate, not heritage,” she wrote in a letter.

President Donald Trump, on the other hand, said he would “not even consider” renaming a slate of Army bases that honor Confederate generals amid reports the Pentagon was open to doing just that.

“My Administration will not even consider the renaming of these Magnificent and Fabled Military Installations,” he wrote on Twitter. “Our history as the Greatest Nation in the World will not be tampered with. Respect our Military!”

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 6:31 am

I hope they don't forget this one, in England. :mrgreen:

Quote:
LONDON —

BRITAIN : New Statue to Bomber Chief Raises German Ire

Old German and British war wounds have been reopened by a new controversy over a statue being erected in London to the officer whose bomber force rained explosives on Germany.

The statue commemorates Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Arthur Harris, Britain’s top bomber commander during World War II, who masterminded the RAF’s night bombing campaign over Germany.

Known as “Bomber Harris” for his single-minded execution of strategic bombing--characterized by mass raids with widespread devastation of major cities such as Cologne, Hamburg, Berlin, Wuerzburg and Dresden--Harris was called “The Butcher” by the Germans.

An estimated half a million Germans were killed in night bombing by British planes and in daylight raids by American aircraft. The efficiency of strategic area bombing has long been a subject of dispute. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 6:36 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Winston Churchill statue desecrated for second day as protesters daub 'racist' on monument
Quote:
The British war hero's statue in London's Parliament Square has been defaced with Churchill crossed out with black marker pen and the words "is a racist" underneath. Protesters have also pinned a poster to the memorial with the words "Black Lives Matter".

This is the second day the statue has been defaced after protesters graffitied it with neon green writing during Saturday's rally.

It has been reported he had a passionate hatred for the Germans, and if true, would qualify him as a racist, imo.
I'm not sure why the British would have a problem though.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 7:23 am

Pepe wrote:
I hope they don't forget this one, in England. :mrgreen:

Quote:
LONDON —

BRITAIN : New Statue to Bomber Chief Raises German Ire

Old German and British war wounds have been reopened by a new controversy over a statue being erected in London to the officer whose bomber force rained explosives on Germany.

The statue commemorates Marshal of the Royal Air Force Sir Arthur Harris, Britain’s top bomber commander during World War II, who masterminded the RAF’s night bombing campaign over Germany.

Known as “Bomber Harris” for his single-minded execution of strategic bombing--characterized by mass raids with widespread devastation of major cities such as Cologne, Hamburg, Berlin, Wuerzburg and Dresden--Harris was called “The Butcher” by the Germans.

An estimated half a million Germans were killed in night bombing by British planes and in daylight raids by American aircraft. The efficiency of strategic area bombing has long been a subject of dispute. https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

Within months of a holocaust memorial being refused planning permission: Link to article (Jewish Chronicle)

I live in a very weird country don’t I?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 10:13 am

They need to be removed for safety.Someone is going to get crushed trying to remove them.
Place them in the Confederate cemeteries.They shouldn’t be destroyed because they are a part of history.Unsavory history.They should now be a memorial to what existed in the past and should never happen again.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 10:46 am

That poor guy who had one of those statues fall on his head last night!

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/news/local/mycity/portsmouth/protesters-tear-down-parts-of-portsmouth-confederate-monument/291-f33c288b-1b40-4561-96a2-24070631250a

I read that the dude parts of the monument are bronze and the obelisk is solid granite.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 10:58 am

Going be tough tearing down this one

And how will they do this one

Both are honoring racist. One was even slave owner.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Jun 2020, 11:02 am

Apparently the first of those pictured was struck by lightning recently - probably by no means the first time owing to its shape.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 11:27 am

Tearing down Cristopher Columbus statues. The Goombah’s are not going to like it. “Hands up, don’t shoot” won’t work against the Mafia.

Before everybody gets all offended
1. The Mafia are vicious criminals that are overly glorified in the movies and the media.
2. 95 plus percent of Italian-American’s are not Mafia
3. When they are not at “work” they are very much into traditional families and their Italian heritage.

The Mafia is not what it once was and they very well may be well behind Antifa tech wise but if they can I can envision the Mafia putting hits on people who tear down Columbus statues.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 11:35 am

sly279 wrote:
Going be tough tearing down this one

And how will they do this one

Both are honoring racist. One was even slave owner.

This one also. But don’t get to cocky, they way things are going government leaders might order them destroyed.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 1:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tearing down Cristopher Columbus statues. The Goombah’s are not going to like it. “Hands up, don’t shoot” won’t work against the Mafia.

1. The Mafia are vicious criminals that are overly glorified in the movies and the media.
3. When they are not at “work” they are very much into traditional families and their Italian heritage.

The Mafia is not what it once was and they very well may be well behind Antifa tech wise but if they can I can envision the Mafia putting hits on people who tear down Columbus statues.

Old goombah's vs street soldiers, my money's on the ones who aren't in depends. A dozen members of a family can't match a few vans filled with kids with AKs and SKs.

ANTIFA are irrelevant in this, ANTIFA doesn't kill people.
Retaliating against racist mobsters is something that pretty much every street gang would support and they do kill people.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 2:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Old goombah's vs street soldiers, my money's on the ones who aren't in depends. A dozen members of a family can't match a few vans filled with kids with AKs and SKs.

ANTIFA are irrelevant in this, ANTIFA doesn't kill people.
Retaliating against racist mobsters is something that pretty much every street gang would support and they do kill people.

I do not think it is the hardcore street gangs that are beheading Christopher Columbus statues, that is ANTIFA type actions. Columbus’s crimes were against natives not blacks. And it would not be the 90 year old consigliere who would carry out the hit but the foot soldiers. What I see as the biggest problem for the Mafia should they decide to put contracts out on people who behead Columbus statues is finding out who did it. The Mafia‘s rigid code would have a tough time against Antifa’s asymmetrical tactics.