I am an aspie working on a psych unit. Advice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Mindtraveller
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Aug 2017, 9:33 pm

After a long period of being completely unsuccessful in finding work, I was offered a position as a patient care assistant at a large, state-funded, psychiatric hospital. I have recently been going through the orientation and on-boarding process, and in the morning, I start my shift on the unit. Of course, I have my worries. As this is a fiery interest of mine, I want to pursue a career in the mental health field. However, I'm worried I may become overwhelmed and unable to work. It is a dangerous job, but this does not cause as much anxiety as the thought of muddling my position. Sensory sensitivity is certainly not as much of a problem for me as it used to be, but my main worry is that I will become overwhelmed and let my guard down, possibly getting hurt or messing up my job.
Do any of you work in inpatient mental health? Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Regards,
--Mindtraveller

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:39 am

I've never worked in a similar capacity as you.

My main advice would be to always leave a "paper trail" wherever you go. Always document anything you do with patients. Keep a diary.

This is because you have patients who will (unjustifiably) accuse you of something. The same for some "staff members" who want to cover their butts.

And always follow the regulations which are set out by your institution. Especially if a patient becomes agitated. And always heed "the chain of command" in these situations.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2017, 9:50 am

I think everyone knows it is tough work. I know a guy who did a career change from a car mechanic to a mental health doctor. As he was older he did his internship at a state run mental health facility. He is now a doctor with a private practice.

I wouldn't be afraid to speak up about what you find difficult or don't understand. Your boss can't read your mind. As an Aspie, you may be able to put more emotional distance between you and the patients, which can be very valuable in your line of work.