Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

31 May 2007, 9:27 pm

I've heard that cutting out wheat and sugar from your diet is supposed to have psychological benefits for people on the spectrum. Has anyone tried to cut these things out? I know I feel better physically when I cut them out, but that pretty much cuts out all my favourite foods!

Is it worth the trouble to cut these things out? Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 9:32 pm

It didn't help me but I was only on the diet for a few months and its said it can take up to 6 months to get the levels down in your system but there hasn't really been much research in it. Since even if it does work the results aren't huge it would be hard to verify I think and can more than likely be attributed to the placebo effect.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 9:37 pm

Fraya wrote:
It didn't help me but I was only on the diet for a few months and its said it can take up to 6 months to get the levels down in your system but there hasn't really been much research in it. Since even if it does work the results aren't huge it would be hard to verify I think and can more than likely be attributed to the placebo effect.

Time would probably work AGAINST the placebo effect! Besides, a placebo effect would likely occur soon after starting anyway.

Steve

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 9:42 pm

I am on a wheat-free (also rye and spelt) and cow dairy-free diet. Cow dairy products make my nose run and throat sore. Wheat makes my brain fuzzy and body exhausted. It took me a long time to learn how to eat differently and I still miss pepperoni pizza and cinnomon buns and chedder cheese and...... It got easier when I stopped trying to use those nasty bread and cheese substitutes. I just finished a meal of frozen berries with millet/rice cereal poured on top and cashew nuts. There are all sort of online grocery stores and recipe websites for people with celiac-sprue. That's not what I have, but our dietary needs are similar.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

31 May 2007, 9:47 pm

I don't eat much wheat, but I do eat a bit. I have noticed that my skin in particular tends to get much worse if I eat large quantites of wheat. Happily I like rice more anyway and refuse to eat any other type of sliced bread but potato bread, so aside from pastries, baked goods and rolls I don't have much trouble with it.

Sugar I've never tried and don't have much interest in doing.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 9:50 pm

I have a friend who is currently doing this, and she said she felt a lot better-I don't know if it's psychologically necessarily, but the foods made her feel horrible and she was saying that they are rough on the digestive system. If you feel better physically, I'd say there's a good chance you'd feel better mentally.

I'm going to be trying it out soon as well, as she seems pretty happy in general whether it's helping psychologically or not :P

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

31 May 2007, 10:25 pm

lelia wrote:
I am on a wheat-free (also rye and spelt) and cow dairy-free diet. Cow dairy products make my nose run and throat sore. Wheat makes my brain fuzzy and body exhausted. It took me a long time to learn how to eat differently and I still miss pepperoni pizza and cinnomon buns and chedder cheese and...... It got easier when I stopped trying to use those nasty bread and cheese substitutes. I just finished a meal of frozen berries with millet/rice cereal poured on top and cashew nuts. There are all sort of online grocery stores and recipe websites for people with celiac-sprue. That's not what I have, but our dietary needs are similar.

I definitely have the brain-fog and I'm exhausted even though I sleep 9+ hours a night. Apparently I functioned better when I was off wheat for a month, but when I'm eating wheat I can't remember it making THAT much of a difference (then again, I can't remember a lot of things... maybe that's the brain fog speaking).

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

31 May 2007, 10:33 pm

Gluten and dairy makes a world of difference for my 20 month old. (lack thereof, I mean)

I notice I physically feel better on his diet as well. Plus, sugar and simple carbs in general seem to be bad for me. I know I need to start an elimination diet soon to figure out what all is bothering me... but I'm not looking forward to it. Last time I tried going off all grains and sweeteners, I got the shakes like a druggie.

manalitwist
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 10:35 pm

I believe that whole grains are good including wheat. I have a bread machine and i bake wholemeal bread and i must say that i feel very healthy for eating it. The trick is to make your own. I think supermarket bread is depleted.

I have steel cut porridge for breakfast, wholemeal wheat made into bread and brown rice. By eating these whole grains i increase my B vitamin intake dramatically, increased minerals and also roughage. What is not so well known about these whole grains is that they also provide excellent and long acting antioxidants of particular types. Add to that the healthful property's of some of the unique phyto chemicals that combat disease and cancer contained within these whole grains and so i would advocate not eliminating wheat.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2007, 11:36 pm

My mom made me cut wheat and sugar once for one month, and she said I became angry and more annoying.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:27 am

SamuraiSaxen wrote:
My mom made me cut wheat and sugar once for one month, and she said I became angry and more annoying.

I had a Mt. Dew today that completely calmed me down. I was feeling great during the half hour sugar rush it gave me.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 1:53 am

My autism tells me to eat people.

TheMaTrIx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2007, 2:49 am

I don't know if there are advantages in not eating them, since I barely ever eat wheats, sugar or milk. I have no way to compare

I'm lactose and gluten intolerant, mouth and throat get irritated drinking/eating anything with lactose and I get rashes eating bread.

When I eat sugar I get severe stomach acid problems.

There is a difference between eating them and not eating them for me, but the difference is physical to an extent that I can't experiment to see what the difference is mentaly.

Scheherazade
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2007, 8:43 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
My autism tells me to eat people.

Yes, but do you restrict yourself to autistic people, or do you eat NTs too?

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 9:14 pm

Scheherazade wrote:
Yes, but do you restrict yourself to autistic people, or do you eat NTs too?

She tells me to eat everyone. Frustration leads to a lot of places....

Haven't started said diet yet though....

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Jun 2007, 9:17 pm

ive tried that glutin free diet and i must say i thought it worked. only problem? its hard like you wouldnt believe to quit wheat products. wheat is in practically everything