Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2017, 4:57 pm

I know for a while, especially maybe late 2000's onward, a lot of people were trying to make pop music more organic and gritty. I think if it went either ambient enough or off-main enough it got classified as 'indie-pop' but you had a fair amount of joining at the hip.

I remember back in early 2013 driving with a coworker out to a work site, talking pop music a bit with her since she had her ear to the ground more with it, and while we were driving I was hearing a lot of processing and vocal effects that I really hadn't heard used in that genre before. I ended up commenting to her that I wondered when some pop singer, either male rnb or female vocal icon, would water-flange their vocals or whether anyone had ever done it. She knew what I was talking about but wasn't sure.

What I mean by that is something like a phaser/chorus on the vocals, like Ministry used to do a lot (ie. Just One Fix, Burning Inside, etc..) and Dope tried to follow up similarly, where the vocals sound like they're practically gurgling out of a tap or garden hose. It wouldn't shock me if someone like MIA, Charlie XCX, or Ariana Grande would throw that kind of thing in on a hook but - I haven't been diving through their collections enough to vet em.

Lol, forgive the strangeness of the question or the perhaps morbid curiosity for whether or not pop singers are doing un-poppy things. I'm just curious because my head's still mostly in youtube, soundcloud, and mixcloud rather than satellite radio or anything like that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin