Anyone better at being sarcastic, than picking up on it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 6:03 am

I am, but I wouldn't say I'm "sarcasm blind" just partially sighted to it, that's all. But I'm quite good at being sarcastic, although because I can sometimes miss other's sarcasm, people don't expect me to be sarcastic so even when I'm trying to sound sarcastic, people just think I'm being sincere since they assume that I can't be sarcastic if I struggle to pick up on it. Some people don't assume this though, and they understand when I'm being sarcastic.

Keep in mind that I'm not completely blind to it, sometimes I pick up on it, but other times I miss it completely. :oops:

How about you? :)

Froya
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 6:51 am

Yes, this goes for me too.

I'm also better at being ironic, then understanding when others are.

I'm better at picking it up, if it is something in the tone of voice that implies it.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 7:09 am

It's both extremes for me. Sometimes I miss the sarcasm and sometimes I'm overly sensitive to sarcasm that wasn't meant (as my wife informs me afterward).

I tend not to give sarcasm as I'm so bad at saying what I mean... I try to say something completely "straight" and it still comes out the wrong way... so I keep my mouth shut.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

Completely. My sense of humor is pretty sarcastic, but I miss sarcasm sometimes when other people use it. Subtle sarcasm is the worst, followed by sarcasm that could actually be a possibility. For example, if someone says, "Oh, I love going to school" and you know for a fact that they hate going to school, then you could logically figure out that they are being sarcastic. :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 8:59 pm

I can often pick up on it when someone says something that seems odd for the context/situation or contradicts what I think that person would say based on what I know about them. When I notice that, I then just ask the person if they are being sarcastic or serious. I'm right maybe about 60% of the time. The absolute worst though is when I ask the person if they are being sarcastic and they give a sarcastic reply...which means I have to ask again as I am not sure, and get another sarcastic reply...and so on and so on :(

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Aug 2017, 11:03 pm

Yep! I can use it, but terrible at reading others use it unless it's blatantly obvious.