kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Facebook has more people than any major religion except Christianity
Written by Michael J. Coren
August 27, 2017

The number of Facebook monthly users has surpassed the followers of Islam, and is closing in on the most numerous religion, Christianity. The Pew Research Center reports that Christianity counts 2.3 billion people among its adherents, followed by Islam with about 1.8 billion. By comparison, Facebook reports it now has 1.32 billion daily active users and 2.01 billion monthly active users as of June 2017—all supported by a staff of just 20,658 people.

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg believes his platform could fill the void left behind by the decline of religious and civil communities in the US. Americans are becoming less religious, join fewer community groups, and report record low levels of trust in their fellow citizens. “That’s a lot of people who now need to find a sense of purpose and support somewhere else,” he said this June at a Chicago rally for creators of Facebook groups.

Zuckerberg has even approvingly cited religions role in society, perhaps implying a similar goal for Facebook. “People who go to church are more likely to volunteer and give to charity—not just because they’re religious, but because they’re part of a community,” he said in June. “A church doesn’t just come together. It has a pastor who cares for the well-being of their congregation, makes sure they have food and shelter. A little league team has a coach who motivates the kids and helps them hit better. Leaders set the culture, inspire us, give us a safety net, and look out for us.”

https://qz.com/1057510/facebook-has-more-people-than-any-major-religion-except-christianity/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 6:00 pm

Facebook is worse than most major religions.

This isn't good news.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 7:52 pm

I like when criminals post evidence of their crimes on FB :lol:

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2017, 7:58 pm

Of all the questionable things/people/deities I could worship, Zuckerberg ranks way below Dave Miscavige and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I don't agree with his pushy political leanings, ad preferences, or friend recommendations.