Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

Not trying to make the community mad but I have watched over the last 10 - 15 years of how society is supposedly opening up to LGBT people more and I quite honestly don't buy it. I have seen a lot of people who formally were hostile to LGBT people all of a sudden open up to the community and I sense a trap. I see it all the time with people on Facebook (and elsewhere in the media and in real life) I knew from way back in high school, college and my previous jobs and I know that these people were hostile to LGBT rights or were never allies of the community. These were the same people who tried to physically harm LGBT people or excluded them in a hostile manner (I have experienced both). I suspect that this goes on all over the United States and quite honestly no one will convince me that these people are accepting of LGBT people or should be trusted as allies or friends.

Am I the only one who sees this? I see a lot of the new 'tolerance' over the last decade or so as fake. I'm concerned that the LGBT community will be harmed by these people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 7:56 pm

There was a time when I was younger that I thought homosexuality was weird and wrong, not really proud of that kind of thinking, but it was certainly influenced by society at the time, I mean apparently homosexuality was considered a mental illness until the 50's or something and in the 90's it still seemed largely frowned upon..and a lot of school kids called things they found stupid 'gay' interestingly some of those same kids may have later found out they themselves were gay. So I guess I certainly think it's possible that some of those people have become more open minded and realized they were wrong about it. I think attitudes can certainly change and that could be a large part of it.

I don't think its something so dismal as a trap.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

20 years ago, if somebody mentioned "gay marriage," they would have been laughed at.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2017, 2:42 pm

Something similar

But I moved from San Diego 2017 to near Berkeley

So it could be that Berkeley is less homophobic than San Diego, not that the world is getting less homophobic.....

Berkeley is like a dream come true. Plenty of gay pride rainbow on stores, houses, clothes.

Plenty of crossdressers

Last week, on the bus, a woman had the nerve to ask me "what you looking at?". Then she told her son to stop sitting next to me. "He might be a paedophile or a fa***t". Then her boyfriend /spouse had the nerve to tell me "don't look at me, gay guy".

But there was someone standing right in front of them, wearing at least two gay pride rainbows. And it was not me

Having said that, I hardly ever hear the word "fa***t".

:lol:

But.... Sometimes I get paranoid. All it takes is one homophobic precious lil "person", and it could involve rape or extermination.... Permanently.....

Besides every day I walk past a lot of people. Sooner or later at least one will be homophobic

By the way I am transsexual.

And I started Gender Therapy in San Diego in 2004.

San Diego was so homophobic

So I feel like a coward like I ran away from the problem, instead of solving the problem.....

And that is :cry: cheating :roll:

:D

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 9:39 am

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/08/us/electi ... index.html
Election night brings historic wins for minority and LGBT candidates

The election is a good sign of how people really feel about LGBT people.
Elections are polls that really matter.

In Connecticut LGBT couples have been bringing their adopted kids to company outings for at least the past decade.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 5:43 pm

Tolerance of LGBT people has become more real, but slowly despite political threats to take away the rights of those who identify as LGBT.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 6:49 pm

There could be some fakery, however it is also possible for people to realize they are wrong and genuinely have come to accept it. I know for me when I was a lot younger I thought homosexuality was 'bad' and 'wrong' because that is more or less what I was kind of taught(not by my parents per say, but just what I was exposed to). But then when I reached highschool I was friends with a guy who ended up being gay and it certainly helped open my mind. Unfortunately I was only at that school for a year and me and him didn't keep contact...we wrote a few times but no teenager keeps up on writing to 'friends' they may not ever even see again.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
20 years ago, if somebody mentioned "gay marriage," they would have been laughed at.

Now one is more likely to get laughed at if they say 'legalizing gay marriage takes away the right for traditional marriges'.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 4:03 am

I think there's a lot of PC tolerance. Because people are now being taught that it is not ok to be intolerant of someone just because of their gender or sexuality. They are aware that they must be seen to be progressive, and pay the "lip service" to the ideas of equality and inclusion for queer people.
But this rarely translates to an actual, genuine standard, especially when confronted with an actual queer person.
I have had this proven time and again, sometimes especially within that community - so gay people who are intolerant of trans people or bisexual people, etc.
So do people yell as loud as they can that they're supportive or tolerant of queer people? Yes!
Would they ever date a queer person? No.
Would they be supportive of a friend or lover who was trans and going through transition, rather than just cut contact with them because they've "changed"? No.
Would organizations employ someone who was obviously, and "out," queer? No.
It seems to me all this tolerance is a facade. Underneath the veneer of the way people know they're "supposed" to act, attitudes are still the same. The only difference is now, it's unacceptable to voice it.
/ Pessimism. :wink:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 8:35 am

"Tolerance", I think is real, and also for many other minority groups. But then, I have often carried on with my life while experiencing a terrible toothache because I can "tolerate" the pain and suppress my desire to complain about it.

"Acceptance" or "respect", on the other hand, I would be far less sure.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 3:24 pm

Tolerance and acceptance are two different things. I think there is more of each now than there was not all that long ago, but I think there is more tolerance than actual acceptance.
Why? I don't know.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2017, 4:22 pm

Tolerance and harm are two separate issues. Psychopaths will pick on anyone, no matter how loved by the community. A good example is Dr Petit, whose family was murder by a pair of ex convicts.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2341651

And they will use any excuse nor lie to justify what they did.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2017, 3:27 pm

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014 ... d_gay.html

Provincetown is a community where they assume you are gay. It is a popular tourist destination for everyone who accepts gay people. Otherwise you won't feel you belong here.

aikoinazuma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2017, 5:07 pm

C2V wrote:
I think there's a lot of PC tolerance. Because people are now being taught that it is not ok to be intolerant of someone just because of their gender or sexuality. They are aware that they must be seen to be progressive, and pay the "lip service" to the ideas of equality and inclusion for queer people.
But this rarely translates to an actual, genuine standard, especially when confronted with an actual queer person.
I have had this proven time and again, sometimes especially within that community - so gay people who are intolerant of trans people or bisexual people, etc.
So do people yell as loud as they can that they're supportive or tolerant of queer people? Yes!
Would they ever date a queer person? No.
Would they be supportive of a friend or lover who was trans and going through transition, rather than just cut contact with them because they've "changed"? No.
Would organizations employ someone who was obviously, and "out," queer? No.
It seems to me all this tolerance is a facade. Underneath the veneer of the way people know they're "supposed" to act, attitudes are still the same. The only difference is now, it's unacceptable to voice it.
/ Pessimism. :wink:

This is basically what I believe and have experienced as well. Surprisingly there is a lot of hostility even within the LGBT community as you mentioned and I have seen and experienced it myself. For the record, I don't think society has shaken it's attitude towards LGBT people who don't fit the mold, like gay males who don't act effeminate, just as an example (they don't treat non-typical gay males very well in my opinion, BTW). I myself am very skeptical of people who claim to tolerate LGBT people but treat them as a pawn or who use them for some scheme of theirs which is disgraceful to me. Not meaning to be blunt here but a lot of people in my opinion have LGBT friends just for a 'token LGBT friend' just to impress their social circle or to ward off any skepticism of their attitudes towards LGBT people. Same thing with the Aspie community (and look at half of the stuff they get wrong about us).

TryNotToBreathe
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jan 2018, 9:06 pm

I am pretty cynical about the new tolerance. It is hard not to be guarded after the intense homophobia that was almost universal when some of us were growing up. I think it’s just become socially unacceptable to be openly homophobic (except on the Christian Right or in black churches). I think underneath, most str8 people, especially males, think homosexuality is gross or disturbed behavior and are not anywhere near accepting.

Kristaok
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jan 2018, 1:18 pm

Tolerance works both ways.

Also I think to the lgbtq tolerance to them equals accepting / agreeing / approving of their lifestyle. Here's the thing, tolerance doesn't equal approval, AND why does tolerance only apply to them? Why can't they show tolerance to those who disagree with that lifestyle choice?

The LGBTQ say they just want the freedom to live their lives, well that's great right?! but the truth is living their lives is not enough, they want to force everyone to accept them. I'm not against them living their lives, but I am against them forcing their sexuality choices on others.

If the LGBTQ are truly happy then why can't they just live their lives? Why must they worry constantly about acceptance? Why does it matter what others think? Why do they insist on throwing parades in the streets disrupting traffic, while walking around half naked in front of little kids? Why do they threaten to shut business down like bakeries that use their religious rights to not serve a cake that features gay icons? or threaten to sue and have someone fired that won't marry them? the list goes on...

So having an opinion that being lgbtq is not normal does not equal intolerant, everyone deserves the right to an opinion as long as that opinion does not harm another's physical person.

The lgbtq want to be a protected class, soon it will be a crime (hate speech) to even disagree with that lifestyle... It's all silly... I miss the days when people weren't so thin skinned, if kids or anyone else was bullied they either got over it or took matters into their own hands, now we are in this weird whiny baby era where nobody can take any differing view / opinion.