Page 20 of 67 [ 1063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 67  Next

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 5:12 pm

When this came out it spun me out

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 5:17 pm

Tiny kids kick the s**t out of the master in a surprise attack.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 5:30 pm

Soul music

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 6:47 pm

domineekee wrote:
When this came out it spun me out

I've been keeping a list of everything I posted so far in this thread to try not to repeat but yeah, The Rain still gets me every time at 1:12. This one's solid too

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 6:50 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2018, 6:53 pm

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 4:24 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 6:09 am

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 6:12 am

Another reissue/remaster from Platinum Breakz I:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 6:18 am

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 8:07 am

Tune from 2000

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 9:14 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 7:09 pm

Looks like dnb lost Spirit today. RIP.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 7:13 pm

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2018, 3:31 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:
I've been noticing this with most British music I find in general especially among Black British artist. In fact I just found out that Tricky is half Jamaican. Maxi Jazz (from Faithless) is also Jamaican even though he was born in Britain both of his parents were from Jamaica. I guess this has to do with the fact that a lot of Jamaicans immigrated to Britain especially before 1962 before Jamaica gained independence and all Jamaicans were considered British citizens.

For a while I think I had the gears in friction in my head trying to figure exactly what lineage trip hop fit into and I think it was tracks like Tricky Kid that got me thinking along the lines that trip hop might foundationally be an offshoot of Dancehall. When I think of the particular kinds of sound-twisting that gets employed in Trip Hop that make a lot of it so unique that parallel also jumps out although it's handled a little bit different, ie. UK shaped, formed, and reinterpreted.

SnailHail wrote:
Dub is also another genre of Jamaican origin that has influenced British music. As a first generation American of Jamaican descent I feel a bit relieved finding music like this. I felt like an outsider among my family and culture because I just couldn't get into reggae and dancehall even though I've been hearing it all my life. But hearing reggae elements in acid jazz, trip hop, drum & bass, jungle and breakbeat it sounds a lot more appealing to me. I'm also starting to get into dub more too. My dad the other day heard me listening to some drum & bass and trip hop songs that had reggae elements in them and he was genuinely interested in it. He said he's never heard anything like it. My dad loves music and plays the keyboard as hobby. It felt nice to find something I could share with him since we don't have much in common and being aspie on top of being an American oriented kid made us even more distant.

Very cool. It's fascinating what kinds of doors music and open for us. I grew up in a suburban area and in my childhood was strictly a grunge and thrash-metal kid. I hated hip hop at the time but I think a large part of that had to do with these white kids with wealthy parents trying to thug out to it. I was starting to reevaluate a bit by highschool when Wu Tang Forever came out but hearing so many good dashes of it in solid drum n bass tracks really opened the door for me to go back and check out the whole back log of golden age stuff that I'd missed out on. Mobb Deep Hell on Earth was probably one of my favorites that I simply wouldn't have known about otherwise if I'd stayed on that track.

SnailHail wrote:
Got any albums you'd recommend with that type of MCing it doesn't have to be just drum & bass other electronic genres are welcome. I've also been thinking about getting Goldie's debut album Timeless.

Here's the challenge - most of that used to be on mix tapes. There have been a few store bought albums that had MCing on them but they didn't often have quite the kind your looking for. I know Blame's Progression Sessions had, I have to be careful here, a guy named DRS (I'm pretty sure he's a different DRS from the one who's around right now), flowing over the mix. Soul Slinger's United DJ's of America 14 had TC Izlam through most of it. Similarly Hive had an album mix of his own work called Raw Uncut which also had TC Izlam.

For whatever reason it doesn't seem like many store bought albums kept the MC'ing. It could perhaps be that they were worried, thinking major record labels in the past, that it was too separate an element at the time or that it would make the albums not sell as well. I know some people find MC'ing annoying and they could have been that loud a minority at the time that they sold most people on the idea of not having it on there? What I don't understand quite as well is how often double cds were released where one would be the unmixed tracks, one would be the same tracks (maybe a few extra) mixed, why not throw MCing on the mixed disc? It seems like Metalheadz has never done that (its always been without the MC's) and yeah, Goldie - the label's head - is also another example of a brilliant musician and thinker all around who has half-Jamaican heritage so as far as I can tell, in the UK at least, this wasn't one of those weird uncultured exec decisions.

Thanks for the heads up. It is true that MCing and vocals in general don't seem to be liked by a very loud group in the dnb fanbase. I hear all these great songs but when I read the comments I see people saying they wish the MC or singer would shut up and stop ruining the song :? . I was also looking at Roni Size's New Form and it appears that version doesn't have the MC on Brown Paper Bag like in the music video.

Anyway I started listening to London Elektricity and I love his style.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 12:45 pm