Page 1 of 66 [ 1045 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 66  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 9:06 pm

So someone told me back when I was 18 or 19 that if I took up listening to drum & bass I'd never have to shower again. I thought that was a fascinating suggestion so I tried it on for size and decided it still wasn't that great a deal because I'd still have to smell me. :lol:

All d&b jokes aside I thought I'd do something I rarely get to do which is start a thread about what's distinctly special to me about this genre. I've cooled down a bit over the last few years so I'm not in a hurry to bury the thread three pages deep in my own selection - I'd rather just pop them in here as I go and at the right times when I think of them. TBH I'm not even going to start off with my all-time favorites, rather I'll just aim at the right zone that I think personifies it.

I think three's a good start. If anyone else sees the connection and wants to jump in that's fine. Only request I might make is we're not headbanging - Venetian Snares, Current Value, etc.. might be better for a different thread. Anything else that's deep, liquid, jazzy, or just generally introspective is a go.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 1:08 am

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2017, 7:26 pm

Have you checked out Baxter? I think they're a great mix of Trip Hop and Drum & Bass and their songs can be a bit jazzy and liquid.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:35 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Have you checked out Baxter? I think they're a great mix of Trip Hop and Drum & Bass and their songs can be a bit jazzy and liquid.

Yes, we were talking about them in the Trip Hop and Downtempo thread. They were passing out tapes at a party I was at back in 1998 or so.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:41 pm

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2017, 9:39 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
SnailHail wrote:

Yes, we were talking about them in the Trip Hop and Downtempo thread. They were passing out tapes at a party I was at back in 1998 or so.

You got to see them in person!? That is so cool :D . Did they perform at the party? Anyway I did some digging and found another trip hop and drum & bass band called Etro Anime. I swear trip hop and drum & bass is one of the best music genre combinations ever! I hope I find more songs like this.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 9:48 pm

SnailHail wrote:
You got to see them in person!? That is so cool :D . Did they perform at the party? Anyway I did some digging and found another trip hop and drum & bass band called Etro Anime. I swear trip hop and drum & bass is one of the best music genre combinations ever! I hope I find more songs like this.

Truthfully I don't think they were performing that night. It could have been a member or just a promoter passing out an early demo single.

BTW, from some of what you posted on Etro - you might like Lenzman. Not quite the same but definitely in keeping with some of the sound palates and orientation. Paper Faces with Martyna Baker really has a resemblance.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 9:52 pm

I'll probably be posting multiples of both Alix and Sabre. They're both really sharp producers. Sabre's Wandering Journal actually is part of why I hung up producing for a while, he pretty much did what I really wanted to but didn't quite have the sound-engineering or mixing talent to do.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 10:00 pm

And that 1997 street jazz that still gives me chills seven ways to Sunday...

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2017, 10:46 pm

Lenzman sounds alright they do share some similarities with Etro Anime. I'm starting to like dBridge more, any albums you recommend from them?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 11:32 pm

SnailHail wrote:
Lenzman sounds alright they do share some similarities with Etro Anime. I'm starting to like dBridge more, any albums you recommend from them?

D-Bridge/Darren White heads Exit Records. The first track I posted was from Exit Mosaic Vol 2, both Mosaics are good although - like a lot of label albums it's a wide variety of collaborating and signed artists.

D-Bridge did have an LP back in 2008 called Gemini Principle - it's got some great tunes and some forgettable ones as well.

One thing you might look at also - D-Bridge also works with Kid Drama (formerly half of Instra:mental) as Heart Drive and they collaborated with Loxy, Resound, and Skeptical as Module 8.

Some of those other guys' works:

As for Lenzman he's from Amsterdam AFAIK, grew up with a lot of golden age hip hop influences so they ( he and Etro) may have been drawing from a similar pool of influences.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 12:58 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 12:21 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 12:40 pm

I found this at Dogs on Acid and laughed my arse off - mainly because a lot of the sarcasm up front is pretty spot-on:
https://www.dogsonacid.com/threads/why- ... nb.760359/

What's a genuine mystery to me, bizarre enough to almost be revealing of universal metaphysics, is that even in 2017 almost any corner of electronic dance music is pretty well accepted. Even dubstep, which is in a lot of ways a child of dnb and speed garage, blew up into college brostep several years back but dnb, a genre that's almost 25 years old now, is still in a sort of cultural quarantine box. For a long time I thought this was just an American culture thing but the more I even heard Roni Size talk about it I get the impression that it seems to touch the same cultural nerve everywhere.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 3:29 pm

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2017, 10:16 pm