How To Fix Poverty: Why Not Just Give People Money?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2017, 6:54 pm

Poor people need to stop having children. Especially the types who have the children in order to get a little bit more money. It never works out good.. the children suffer more than the actual parent.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 7:31 pm

bethannny wrote:
Poor people need to stop having children. Especially the types who have the children in order to get a little bit more money. It never works out good.. the children suffer more than the actual parent.

If Poor people didn't have children, then almost none of us would be here today. Guess what, most of us are descended from poor people.
My wife and I aren't exactly rolling in cash - in fact, I doubt I could wipe with what little money we have - but we have a child. She was a choice neither of us have ever regretted. Before making pronouncement about how poor people should be barred - even if by choice - from exercising the right all human beings have always enjoyed, consider that even poor people regard their children as more precious than any degree of wealth.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Sep 2017, 6:11 am

UBI is probably a very good idea. The issue is setting it at a level where it will make a difference is difficult; avoiding breeding resentment is also difficult.

Advantages of UBI include:

- Government assistance can no longer be considered a "handout for lazy people". It's a universal birthright as a citizen.
- It gives people the ability to choose whether or not to work full-time.
- It injects money into the economy, powering businesses.
- It cuts admin costs associated with current policies.