Trump May Not Survive Impeachment Proceedings

Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 7:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Once somebody becomes a drug addict, the treatment usually becomes very difficult. It's frequently too simplistic to suppose that drug addiction goes away via one detox.

My advice: stay far away from all that crap.

I know a guy about your age who did just that. Aspie with learning disabilities, raised in poverty in a bad neghborhood, high school drop out (because of his learning disabilities) forced on his own as a teenager. He said all he had to do was stay away from drugs and just go to work everyday. Low paying job and little studio apt. But no drugs and no comitting crimes. He's kept that going for like 40 years and doesn't have much sympathy for most of the people hitting him up for cash.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 7:58 am

He is a very smart man.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 1:00 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The elect whose names are in the Lamb's Book of Life, are the ones whose works are judged to ascertain what their reward will be.

The only way to get their name in the book of life is to be born again and be in total submission to Jesus Christ making him their lord and having the holy spirit dwelling and working in them. They do not practice in sin (the way a doctor practices in medicine) but rather practice in righteousness.

Those whose name is not in the book are thrown onto eternal hell, regardless of their good works. People as how can a loving god send people to hell? And the usual answer is the sent themselves to hell. It was their choice and entirely their own fault. They only have themselves to blame.

Lutherans - and mainline Protestants in general - aren't big on born again experiences. The only born again experience I've ever had was when I was baptised as an infant.
Sure, we should live the best lives we can, but perfectionism is a lie, as our righteousness are as rags before God. A repentant heart is more important to God than trying to live perfectly by the law, and that's a thing any sinner - even a drug addict - can have.
Incidentally, I never said good works save us, just that our faith can be judged by our works. Salvation, from a Lutheran perspective, is entirely through God's freely given grace, earned by Christ, without any contribution to attaining said grace by our cooperation.

But still my point is, for those who are condemned, it is perceived as being entirely their own fault. Correct?

Yes. But again, we can not claim any credit for being among the elect.

What I was originally getting at is that LoveNotHate's posting the "It's your own fault" meme, in the long run is a biblical concept. If you make the wrong choice, the consequences you suffer are of your own making.

With that established then has to be considered with whether one is helping or enabling. Sure one can give a tweaker some cash, but is it really the right thing to do, to supply someone with drug money?

Perhaps if everyone said no, they would be forced to undergo treatment at the county drug clinic to be weaned off the stuff.

I didn't necessarily say give them some money, but as a society provide treatment, food, and shelter.