Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

AutumnWind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm

I've always liked vocabulary and big words but I've never really been able to spell very good because of my lack of schooling in bad education growing up. Although I still managed to do very well in understanding vocabulary words and pronouncing them. Looking at some old paper work it stated at the age of four years old i was using words that children my age often didn't use or even understand and i was understanding them and using them.

Sometimes i feel like it's one of the only skills i ever developed
Sometimes it makes me feel stupid because i all i can do is say big words and be interested in them
but never anything else.

What's some of you guy's interests? And is there anyone here who shares the same interest as me?
You're not stupid though i'm not saying that sometimes i myself just feels like that due to other problems.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 1:05 pm

When I was younger I had a very large vocabulary as well. I used to read a lot too! :D

I am interested in certain medical disorders, Stampy Cat (a Minecraft YouTuber), and the show America's Got Talent. Nowadays, my reading is restricted to these few subjects, otherwise I get bored and lose focus. My vocabulary is "alright." We had a Vocabulary Workbook in school last year, and I did the whole thing in about 2 months. All my work was for nothing, though, because we barely used it at all during the school year.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

AutumnWind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Aug 2017, 1:08 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
When I was younger I had a very large vocabulary as well. I used to read a lot too! :D

I am interested in certain medical disorders, Stampy Cat (a Minecraft YouTuber), and the show America's Got Talent. Nowadays, my reading is restricted to these few subjects, otherwise I get bored and lose focus. My vocabulary is "alright." We had a Vocabulary Workbook in school last year, and I did the whole thing in about 2 months. All my work was for nothing, though, because we barely used it at all during the school year.

I love Americas got talent but i like the X factor more on the British side of things. I also enjoy learning about Medical conditions i really like rare medical conditions. That's amazing we have a lot in common it seems

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 1:12 pm

AutumnWind wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I love Americas got talent but i like the X factor more on the British side of things. I also enjoy learning about Medical conditions i really like rare medical conditions. That's amazing we have a lot in common it seems

We do! Unfortunately, I only watch AGT, but I really like learning about rare medical conditions as well :D . My new (unborn) cousin may have Down Syndrome, so I am spending a lot of time researching that. What sort of medical conditions do you like to learn about?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

AutumnWind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Aug 2017, 1:21 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
AutumnWind wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

We do! Unfortunately, I only watch AGT, but I really like learning about rare medical conditions as well :D . My new (unborn) cousin may have Down Syndrome, so I am spending a lot of time researching that. What sort of medical conditions do you like to learn about?

Progeria I also like dwarfism it's becoming a new interest but i think just calling them people is a better thing to say i don't know much about dwarfism yet though or how rare it may be or may not be.
I also liked down syndrome and for a while i got interested in my own disability aspergers for a while.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 1:28 pm

AutumnWind wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
AutumnWind wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Progeria I also like dwarfism it's becoming a new interest but i think just calling them people is a better thing to say i don't know much about dwarfism yet though or how rare it may be or may not be.
I also liked down syndrome and for a while i got interested in my own disability aspergers for a while.

That's cool! I would like to learn about dwarfism as well. Have you ever heard of Williams Syndrome? It's pretty rare- I believe it is about 1 in 10,000 to 20,000 births. They are some of the best people alive though, in my opinion! :D

AutumnWind
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Aug 2017, 1:32 pm

Yes i have i have something up on it now to i wanted to make sure i remembered
and yes, its one i think i had on mind to watch but never got around to i'm going to though it sounds really interesting.
I've considered getting into work on this kinda thing problem is i don't think i'd be a doctor wanting to stick to one rare condition. i'd want to learn them all.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 1:41 pm

Yeah, me too! I want to adopt children one day with a disabilities (I would love to help them and I think we would get along well), but I don't know how that is going to work since I would need to take care of them and have a job, and I don't plan on getting married. I definitely would like to adopt a child with either ASD or Down Syndrome, though. It would be amazing! :D

Williams Syndrome also interests me too! I have watched videos on it, and they are pretty great :D . I love how people with Williams Syndrome love music so much. They are like the happiest people alive!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 1:50 pm

Have you gone on the Down Syndrome and Williams Syndrome blogs?

There is also a disorder called Cri du Chat which is interesting.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 2:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Have you gone on the Down Syndrome and Williams Syndrome blogs?

There is also a disorder called Cri du Chat which is interesting.

I have read about that one as well! I think it was a mutation on chromosome 5, but it was a while back so I'll have to check! :D

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 11:31 am

When I was younger I used to love vocabulary. I used to READ the dictionary for fun and playing like a sort of game. Like if I read a word whose meaning contained a word that I did not know I would search for that word next and so on and so on. It was fun!

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

In my 20's, I was able to get the Oxford English Dictionary for 99 cents. Then I just lost it :(

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 3:12 pm

I am interested in chromosomal conditions, particularly Down syndrome. I have also read about Cri du chat (possibly the description of the "cat like cry" intrigued me), Trisomy 13 (Patau syndrome-former neighbors had a little girl with Trisomy 13), Trisomy 18 (Edward's syndrome) and the mirror-image chromosome 15 deletions, Angelman's and Praeder-Willi syndrome (the latter causing uncontrolled eating). I have also studied about primordial dwarfism syndromes, particularly Seckel syndrome. I got interested in that one after I read about an account of a girl from Greece who had that syndrome.

I always had a large vocabulary. It is one of my strong points. I thought that was the only thing that kept me from being seen as totally stupid when I was growing up.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 3:24 pm

I've read about all those as well, IstominFan. If I could get rid of any genetic condition, it would probably be trisomy 13 or 18, since the babies usually don't live past the first week of life :cry: . I hate those disorders so much.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 6:13 pm

Tay-Sachs Disease is not a "chromosomal" disorder, per se----but it's a genetic disorder.

It's sad.....because a baby with Tay-Sachs Disease is perfectly "normal" until around 4-6 months of age. You know how delightful babies tend to be then. Then, after age 6 months, things go downhill. They usually don't live past their fifth birthday. By the time they expire, they are comatose.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 8:16 pm

i have a kinda similar interest, although it also involves spelling. it's scrabble.
scrabble is a beautiful game. vocabulary is as important as strategy :D

being a lifelong avid reader probably helps too. it's also cool how niche vocabularies can boost gameplay, like a lot of the words i know through studying specific subjects like biology and music are viable scrabble words.

some of my (many) favorite TWL scrabble words:
cwm
qwerty
squibbing
aa and mm
pfft
vice
fjord
raj and taj
mbira
exactly
nonword

some of my (many) favorite hook words:
awe (awes, awed, awee)
yin (yins, pyin, tyin)
hm (hmm, ohm)
zoea (zoeas, zoeae)
zin (zins, zine, zinc)
si (psi, sis, sin, sic, sib, sig, sip, six, etc!)
flaming (flamingo)

cool scrabble letters:
c and v, because there are no two letter words to overlap in twl
m, because of diversity of two letter words and letter points
b, g, f, k, because of very stringent overlaps but good for racking up points. in that regard, a strange one that is also like this is r. re, er, ar, and or are the only two letter words available in twl. r is only a 1 point letter, though.
j, because jo is the only two letter j twl word but j can be utilized to more scoring effect than q (whose only two letter word is qi). z, as in za, is also a good mix between blocking and scoring. za means pizza btw haha
x, because of diversity of two letter and hook opportunities, also opportunities to embed and/or render the 8 letter points essentially useless to opponent
s, because of the obvious pluralization hook, but also because they can make the difference between a bingo (7 letter anagram word, +50 extra points) and a 6 letter word that opens up more bingo lanes for opponent for some relatively insignificant amount of points. s usage can make or break a game.
a, o, and e, because we all need a break sometimes.
and of course y because who couldn't love a 4 point semivowel

Collins dictionary has more fun words since it's the international english language scrabble dictionary, and includes all words from the TWL dictionary too (which is standard in US, Canada, Thailand, and parts of Israel), but i am not as well acquainted with it (yet).

8O