Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 2:35 pm

I am incredibly excited right now because we might be getting a dog.

Now, because of where i live he (i will say he instead of he/she/it, referring to the dog) cannot become a service dog (officially) but will probably be able to accompany me to different stores (excluding grocery stores). But i will probably train him to do certain things (like laying on me when i get stressed or staying with me when i am sad) to mitigate my autism.

I am having difficulties with writing because i am so excited.

We are probably getting a labrador.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2017, 2:44 pm

Good for you. Labradors make fantastic family pet and never seem to get cross. I had one for 14 years, she was a wonderful dog.

Hope you get him/her soon 8)

BBC: Radio 4

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

Voxish wrote:
Good for you. Labradors make fantastic family pet and never seem to get cross. I had one for 14 years, she was a wonderful dog.

Hope you get him/her soon 8)

Thank you.

We have been in contact with a few breeders.

It depends on but some puppies should be born in about a month and a half, so earliest we are getting one in about 3 months but most likely within 12 months or about 6 months.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 2:55 pm

Awww I love labs! My family has had a few in the past and we currently have a 13-year-old yellow lab and he is wonderful.

I'm actually considering adopting another lab (probably a chocolate) and training it to become a service dog.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 7:38 pm

I have a Shipoo. He is 18 pounds and is the best dog ever. He is very affectionate and loves to make me laugh which I don't do enough of. Your dog will indeed become your best friend.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 1:26 am

Deb1970 wrote:
I have a Shipoo. He is 18 pounds and is the best dog ever. He is very affectionate and loves to make me laugh which I don't do enough of. Your dog will indeed become your best friend.

I am really looking forward to getting a dog. The dog wont be mine but a family dog, but i will spend much time with him and i am sure we will have a very close bond.

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2017, 3:18 am

Be slightly careful; I have heard stories of labs being somewhat biteish.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 4:19 am

PaperMajora wrote:
Be slightly careful; I have heard stories of labs being somewhat biteish.

When they are puppies, yes.

We will train him though.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:18 am

teksla wrote:
Deb1970 wrote:

I am really looking forward to getting a dog. The dog wont be mine but a family dog, but i will spend much time with him and i am sure we will have a very close bond.

He may not be yours but if your the one that pays the most attention to it, you will be who it clings to the most. Animals pick their pack leaders.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

Deb1970 wrote:
teksla wrote:
Deb1970 wrote:

He may not be yours but if your the one that pays the most attention to it, you will be who it clings to the most. Animals pick their pack leaders.

I know and I am secretly hoping that I will be one of his favorites, if not the favorite.

I am just really excited as I love dogs. I know a lot about them and how to train them (and I have experience with training and taking care of them).

Depending on what we decide we might get a puppy as soon as in a month or in 3 months.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm

teksla wrote:
...because of where i live he (i will say he instead of he/she/it, referring to the dog) cannot become a service dog (officially) but will probably be able to accompany me to different stores (excluding grocery stores)....

A friend of mine has an (untrained) "therapy dog" for his anxiety complete with one of those little vests saying so ( https://www.amazon.com/Therapy-Harness- ... B00BOZ4QBY ). If you use the vest, I doubt seriously anybody would know or care about the difference as long as the dog is calm.

Now, if I can just get myself another "service gerbil" (I used to train my gerbils to shell sunflower seeds, and hand them to me; which says a lot about their loyalty if you know just how much they LUV sunflower seeds).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:31 am

Dogs are wonderful! I hope you'll tell us all about your new pup when you get him/her, teksla. Maybe post a pic too? :)

AspieUtah wrote:
Now, if I can just get myself another "service gerbil" (I used to train my gerbils to shell sunflower seeds, and hand them to me; which says a lot about their loyalty if you know just how much they LUV sunflower seeds).
I had no idea it was possible to train gerbils at all, and certainly not to have them give you their sunflower seeds. I remember very well how much my gerbils loved sunflower seeds.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:34 am

Skilpadde wrote:
Dogs are wonderful! I hope you'll tell us all about your new pup when you get him/her, teksla. Maybe post a pic too? :)

I definitely will! We are having a "talk" about what getting a dog means and when we will get him.

I will make sure to share the news with everyone!

"Worst case" is most likely that we are getting him a bit after christmas, "best case" is in a month, ish.

I am very excited. Thank you for caring, i try to not talk about it too much becuase others get annoyed so it means a lot that people care and want to hear more!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:51 am

Skilpadde wrote:

AspieUtah wrote:

I had no idea it was possible to train gerbils at all, and certainly not to have them give you their sunflower seeds. I remember very well how much my gerbils loved sunflower seeds.

I was quite surprised, too! I started out giving them a sunflower seed in the shell, then holding my hand out to received the shelled seed. I pretended to eat the seeds, then make them magically reappear. They seemed to enjoy the interaction.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 8:57 am

^ that's amazing!

teksla wrote:
I am very excited. Thank you for caring, i try to not talk about it too much becuase others get annoyed so it means a lot that people care and want to hear more!
I love dogs so it's def not annoying! I always like hearing about animals. Please share.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 9:23 am

Good luck to you! Dogs, and pets in general, are awesome friends! I had a dog, Partner, who was a pit bull/Lab mix! He was an awesome dog!