Ever Been Restrained During Meltdowns?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 10:53 pm

When you have meltdowns, have you ever been restrained during them? Was it for your safety or other peoples'? Did it help you or make things worse? I'm just curious because I've been restrained by a friend of mine a few times during meltdowns. She works with lower functioning kids and knows how to do it professionally. While I'm in the middle of a meltdown, I hate it because the tactile contact makes me feel like my skin is on fire, and I do everything I can to escape, but once my friend gets a firm grip on me and provides deep pressure, it de-escalates things quite quickly. On average, I'd say I feel less horrible after meltdowns during which I was restrained than I do after ones where I wasn't. My friend only does it to protect me from myself, as I get quite self-injurious, slamming my head into things, scratching and biting myself. Even when I'm trying to escape, I never hurt her or anyone else, which is fortunate. I don't know if it would have the same effect if I got restrained by a stranger, I don't think it would work as well, because strangers make me really anxious even when I'm calm.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

luminifera
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2017, 11:04 pm

No. I can usually hold it in until I'm in a private place (usually my room, but sometimes I can't go home and have to find another place), and then do my thing - crying, sobbing, cutting, etc. I take my time to calm myself down, bandage my arm, wash my face, get my hair in order again. And resume life as if nothing had happened.

When I can't hold it in, I immediately try to go to a private place as soon as possible.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 11:26 pm

It's interesting to hear how different meltdowns can be. I never cry, but I do scream, and they come on so suddenly that I don't have time to hide and get somewhere private. Many times when I'm in the middle of one, I'll try to run away and get to somewhere isolated, but that's a survival instinct and a fight-or-flight need to be alone because people feel threatening rather than a conscious desire to not have people see me. My friends always follow me when I run away because I usually try to get outside, and am at risk of running into the street and getting hurt.

My self-injury is always involuntary and reactive. I do cut myself, but never during meltdowns. That's always very calm and calculated, and I give thought to it beforehand so as not to do it to a place on my body that would draw attention.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Hra1993
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Sep 2017, 1:26 am

I have when I was inpatient after a suicide attempt. Didn't know I have Aspergers at the time. In hindsight I can see it was a meltdown. I had a nurse on 1:1 observations at all times and I felt completely invaded. I was not talking very much which I presume is selective mutism. I just remember smashing my head against a wall over and over until I was restrained. Felt much better after though.