Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 8:58 am

I have mixed feelings about testing. I guess I would feel more comfortable if the mental health lot decided it was enough of a possibility to warrant putting me forward for assessment. Whilst I think I have an above average amount of autistic traits I'm not sure I would meet the full criteria for an ASD diagnosis. I actually think I fit nonverbal learning disorder a little better but that is scarcely recognised in the UK and is not an official clinical diagnosis.

Whether or not I'm on the spectrum I'm certainly neurodiverse and have difficulties/problems stemming from that. The fear is that if the decision was I'm not autistic that would shut down discussion and help for my issues, as in it's an all or nothing,autistic or not, situation.

I wonder how many have this ambivalence about testing as though a negative assessment might/would shut down any acknowledgement of their issues.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 10:57 am

My assessment says that Autism Spectrum Disorder is also known as Autism, High Functioning Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, or sometimes Non-verbal Learning Disorder.

Wouldn't that make Non-verbal learning disorder the same thing as the same thing as ASD?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:20 am

firemonkey wrote:

I wonder how many have this ambivalence about testing as though a negative assessment might/would shut down any acknowledgement of their issues.

I'm worried about getting an incorrect diagnosis either way , as long as they can convince me they know what they are talking about I good with that, although if they say I don't have ASD I want them to tell me what I have or at least point me in the right direction.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I'm worried about getting an incorrect diagnosis either way , as long as they can convince me they know what they are talking about I good with that, although if they say I don't have ASD I want them to tell me what I have or at least point me in the right direction.

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago and I still find myself analyzing myself and thinking, "I don't do that - is the assessment wrong?" and things like that.

My assessment has a section of "Alternative Diagnosis Considered", which lists one item, and I specifically asked the psychologist what that was about, and he said it meant considered and ruled out, and that yes, he was absolutely sure.

I don't have anything wrong with the assessment - why can't I just accept it?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 11:39 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

I was diagnosed about 2 months ago and I still find myself analyzing myself and thinking, "I don't do that - is the assessment wrong?" and things like that.

My assessment has a section of "Alternative Diagnosis Considered", which lists one item, and I specifically asked the psychologist what that was about, and he said it meant considered and ruled out, and that yes, he was absolutely sure.

That sounds perfect if I have a list of alternative diagnosis.

As for why you can't accept it , I have read you are not alone in that and it is quite common to go through a denial stage.

What country are you in dude?

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm

SaveFerris wrote:

Canada

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Splendid, I got my diagnosis about the same time as you, and I to go through phases where it's like that can't be correct, for the same reason. Then I remind myself that I purposefully found someone who has experience diagnosing ASDs, so unless she is really bad at her job, it's probably correct, plus almost everyone that I've told has told me they aren't surprised. Have you told family/friends/others about your diagnosis?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 12:20 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

Canada

I hope they do the alternative diagnosis thing in the UK

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 1:09 pm

Keladry wrote:
Splendid, I got my diagnosis about the same time as you, and I to go through phases where it's like that can't be correct, for the same reason. Then I remind myself that I purposefully found someone who has experience diagnosing ASDs, so unless she is really bad at her job, it's probably correct, plus almost everyone that I've told has told me they aren't surprised. Have you told family/friends/others about your diagnosis?

Hmm, don't have that much in the way of friends. The only people I've told are my parents, who the Psychologist had wanted to interview my parents as part of the diagnosis (they said they weren't surprised), and the person who suggested to me in the first place that I might have it (who obviously already knew it was a possibility).

SaveFerris wrote:
I hope they do the alternative diagnosis thing in the UK
The Psychologist said the reason he put the "Alternative Diagnosis Considered" part in was to make it clear that it isn't Social Communications Disorder, because apparently the first thing someone would likely ask is whether it might be that, and he wanted to make it clear he'd considered that and ruled it out; he's sure it's High Functioning Autism.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 1:13 pm

I feel a diagnosis would put in writing what I suspected about myself: that I was different. I don't want to fall into the clutches of an evaluator who would give me a negative outlook on my future. I have had way too much of that. I have real dreams for my future and don't want to see them die. Some things are no longer possible, but many still could be. The only way I would ever seek a diagnosis is if the results would be kept strictly confidential. If the tester treats me like an idiot, I'll walk out the door. I want an objective, but still hopeful evaluator who could help me use my strengths and work on my weaknesses.