what do you look for in a partner?

Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 9:05 am

Honesty and loyalty. And that's about it. As long as my potential partner has at least those qualities, everything else is secondary.

Although admittedly, a passion for either video games or music - or even both - is a plus.

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2017, 11:01 am

I honestly have no idea what the f*k I want.

wanderlust77
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2017, 3:10 pm

I am looking for a quirky personality, someone secure, music and cinema lover is a must!, sense of humour, adventurous nature, somebody who is curious about everything in this life. My ideal partner would be equally happy to go to metal concert, a taxi dermia class, hike, a TED talk, stand up comedy or just staying out in a park until dark and talk about some deep philosophical problems. Oh and he needs to understand my introversion and my quirks.
It helps if he is sporty, blond with blue eyes.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 3:43 pm

The G spot, I have yet to find it.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:16 pm

C2V wrote:
Wow at the aboves.
I honestly would not know what I look for in a partner, unless I was looking at them, and whatever it was that made me want to be involved with them was there looking back.
What I would be looking for in a partner would depend on that partner. On that person, as an individual, in an individual situation, not as a premeditated list of specific criteria.
I don't approach these things like many do, almost like a job interview, sifting out unsuitable candidates.
No absolutes, no pros and cons. Just as it is.

I think ideals can go completely out the window for the right person.

I thought I'd met that person relatively recently, but it didnt work. Which has made me grip onto my ideals more tightly now.

I can't quite explain why I feel stupid for giving him a chance. I feel like I should have known better.

At least I tried I suppose. I have no regrets with him. There will be no wondering what if I had done something about how I felt, because I did and we are not compatible.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 4:32 pm

Quote:
That's actually a good point and one I agree with. Take for example a criminal record: if they did something stupid at 18, that's not the same thing as being a repeatedly convicted shoplifter. Likewise, being in debt because of a family emergency is not the same thing as being in debt for being foolishly irresponsible. 

There are some things that I considered VERY black and white (smoking, drug use, gender, etc).

I guess even those things (especially gender :wink: ) are flexible for me. Take the criminal record - even if it was repeated and recent - what were the circumstances? I've known of 12 steppers who did things drunk they'd never dream of doing sober. And why were they drunks? Invariably because they were in pain of some kind, and needed a way to cope. That's not enough for me to condemn someone. It's all individual circumstances in my opinion.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 10:33 pm

C2V wrote:
Quote:
That's actually a good point and one I agree with. Take for example a criminal record: if they did something stupid at 18, that's not the same thing as being a repeatedly convicted shoplifter. Likewise, being in debt because of a family emergency is not the same thing as being in debt for being foolishly irresponsible. 

There are some things that I considered VERY black and white (smoking, drug use, gender, etc).

I guess even those things (especially gender :wink: ) are flexible for me. Take the criminal record - even if it was repeated and recent - what were the circumstances? I've known of 12 steppers who did things drunk they'd never dream of doing sober. And why were they drunks? Invariably because they were in pain of some kind, and needed a way to cope. That's not enough for me to condemn someone. It's all individual circumstances in my opinion.

But do you really want a relationship with someone who does terrible things when drunk. What if they do one of those things to you whilst drunk?

That's not a risk I'm willing to take. I'm looking to minimise problems. Bearing in mind most people say even good relationships can be hard work, why add more problems or danger into that mix?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2017, 11:40 pm

^ I can definitely understand that, and I too have limits. I was more commenting on the whole predetermined set of characteristics approach, where you automatically dismiss or seek out people based on this or that.
If the person was abusive, then I wouldn't advocate staying with them, or getting involved with an abusive partner. In that case it would just be inexcusable personal behaviour toward a partner, rather than based a set of criteria someone must fill.
That make any sense?
Even if someone did have a drinking / drug problem however, I'd still have to rely on judgement in the individual circumstance and that person. One person intoxicated might be a nasty abusive piece of work, another might just kock themselves out. One person might be just going through a hard time and really wanting to stop, whereas another might be a lifestyle drug abuser who sees nothing destructive in their behaviour.
Actually the last person I was interested in was a woman who had a habitual drug problem. I was really attracted to her brutal honesty and openness, but judged it a bad idea to get involved with someone who attended N.A. on the weeknights (which was where I met her, so was only newly dry myself) then consistently went out and partied, taking every drug she could find, every weekend. The drug problem alone wasn't enough for me to reject her, but her attitude about it was. Like the person who goes to a confession on a sunday, does whatever they please all week knowing full well It's wrong, because they'll just go back to confession next week.
Know what I mean? So I wouldn't state categorically that I would never date someone who had a drug problem, blanket judgement. But I would have a limit with someone like this girl, because she was being hypocritical about it attending a group where people really are putting in effort and want to stop, then doing drugs anyway every week. So depends on individuals and circumstances. :)

Darkrose50
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2017, 12:20 pm

When I made a list for a potential mate, before getting married, it looked something like the list below. People rarely get 100% of the items on their list, that is to be expected, and should be acceptable.

[1] Someone I would find attractive
[*] Female
[*] Identifiable as female
[*] Similar age
[*] Various physical traits within a standard deviation
[*] This would likely be about ~2/3 of the age appropriate dating population
= ~66.67% of the age appropriate dating population

[2] Someone who was intellectually stimulating
[*] Intelligent
[*] Possibly ~107 IQ+
[*] This would likely be about ~1/3 of the age appropriate dating population
= ~22.22% of the age appropriate dating population

[3] Someone who was interested in learning
[*] Likely someone who was enrolled in college
= ~14.81% of the age appropriate dating population

[4] Simone with a similar or neutral philosophy
[*] Religion
[*] Politics
= ~9.88% of the age appropriate dating population

[5] Someone whom was not financially incompetent (I love managing money)
[*] Not always the below
[*] Savings (~2/3 of the population)
[*] No credit card debt (~2/3 of the population)
= ~6.58% of the age appropriate dating population.

Dropping “[2] intellectually stimulating” down to 100 IQ would move this up to 9.88%

~1/10 to ~1/20 sounds about right to me. Especially since such a percentage is in the population at large, and not within ones environment.

I lucked out and found someone that met most of my criteria. She does get annoyed at me buying and selling stuff (but liked the money). I am glad that she puts up with my Asperger's Syndrome.

Last edited by Darkrose50 on 08 Sep 2017, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 12:26 pm

Darkrose50 wrote:
When I made a list for a potential mate, before getting married, it looked something like the list below. People rarely get 100% of the items on their list, that is to be expected, and should be acceptable.

[1] Someone I would find attractive
[*] Female
[*] Identifiable as female
[*] Similar age
[*] Various physical traits within a standard deviation
= ~66.67% of the age appropriate dating population

[2] Someone who was intellectually stimulating
[*] Intelligent
[*] Possibly ~107 IQ+
[*] This would likely be about ~1/3 of the age appropriate dating population
= ~22.22% of the age appropriate dating population

[3] Someone who was interested in learning
[*] Likely someone who was enrolled in college
= ~14.81% of the age appropriate dating population

[4] Simone with a similar or neutral philosophy
[*] Religion
[*] Politics
= ~9.88% of the age appropriate dating population

[5] Someone whom was not financially incompetent (I love managing money)
[*] Not always the below
[*] Savings (~2/3 of the population)
[*] No credit card debt (~2/3 of the population)
= ~6.58% of the age appropriate dating population.

Dropping “[2] intellectually stimulating” down to 100 IQ would move this up to 9.88%

~1/10 to ~1/20 sounds about right to me. Especially since such a percentage is in the population at large, and not within ones environment.

How many of those did you end up with?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 12:38 pm

That would depend on the type of partnership we intend to have. The criteria start with inspiring both of us to contact each other, and both of us responding to invitations from each other.

If we move toward integrating our lives in some significant way, we'd need lots of conversations. I care more about the way we work together to solve problems than I care about the nature of the problems. Obviously, nazis need not apply. There are limits to my rational flexibility.

Darkrose50

08 Sep 2017, 12:41 pm

[1] I found (find her) to be attractive.
[2] I found (find her) to be intelligent. She has never taken an IQ test, but I would imagine her IQ would be ~117.
[3] She was much more studious than I. I basically was on auto-pilot at age 13+. She now has a masters degree, and those folks seem to have an average IQ of ~117.
[4] We grew up in the same church, however we are much more liberal than the church we grew up in (the pastor wanted her to agree to obey me, for example . . . we went to another church).
[5] She is frugal, but is not really interested in investing. I enjoy investing in Mutual Funds (sector index funds, or S&P 500 . . . I somehow lucked out in investing in war stuff after Trump was elected . . . up about ~25% so far . . . that is some luck). I enjoy trading, buying, and selling things. Board Games with Kickstarter exclusives is my current investing hobby.

I suppose that i am extremely lucky that she ended up being a special education teacher, and has the patience to deal with my Asperger Syndrome.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 1:10 pm

Using darkrose's method, I think it would be easier to find a leprechaun...

1: Must find her attractive = my rough estimate would be 20% of the population.

2: Must have an IQ above 140 = roughly 0.4% of the population, half of which are men. So 20% of 0.2% and we're down to 0.04%

3: Must be honest and loyal = let's divide by 2, and we have 0.02%

4: Not a must, but it would be cool if she was an aspie = that's about 1% of the global population, so we divide by 100, and now we have 0.002%

5: Must not be materialistic = let's divide by 4, and we have 0.0005%....

And so on....

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 1:12 pm

I'm reminded of the simple, mathematical argument for bisexuality. Why halve your pool?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 3:10 pm

Darkrose's filtering system can make sewage potable.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 3:29 pm

Low libido