Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 12:20 am

What is the difference?

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 6:51 am

Here's my guess:
Perseveration has more to do with processing things, a calming effect, and feeling good. An aspie obsession would be a type of perseveration.

If you're talking about an OCD obsession, then it's something different. An OCD obsession is when your brain gets stuck on a thought that makes you anxious, and you have to do a physical or mental action to make it go away.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2017, 7:56 pm

I would say that they are almost exactly the same. Perseveration and obsessions can be both negative and positive. You normally perseverate when you have an obsession, because that is what obsessions are (thoughts that are repetitive, time-consuming, and/or distressing and innapropriate). I agree with the above poster's definition as well. Perseveration can happen with things like OCD, but it is usually more commonly used to describe autistic obsessions. I think they are the same thing, to be honest. If not, then I would say perseveration is the key trait and obsessions happen as a result of having a brain prone towards perseveration.

None of that made any sense :D . Sorry!

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine