Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 5:55 am

I'm considering going back into proper study (aka university level) in the sciences.
Something about it strongly appeals to me. I wondered if it's just that sciences tend to be factual, objective, clear, run in a logical sequence, and have a purpose.
I know many autistics find interest in sciences. What is it about this field as opposed to others that might interest an autistic mind, do you think?

BlackSabre7
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 8:11 am

I can't speak for anyone else, but i just love to learn. I want to know everything about everything. 'Science' covers so many areas of interest. Such a rich and variable world of information. Learning it gives me new ways of looking at the world around me and an accessible understanding of how things work and what can be predicted and why.
Its less confusing and mysterious than the behaviour of people, which to me is often irrational and unpredictable.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2017, 1:48 pm

You get to use your brain.

Most jobs are simple, repetitious, non-thinking types of work.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2017, 2:17 am

C2V wrote:
I'm considering going back into proper study (aka university level) in the sciences.
Something about it strongly appeals to me. I wondered if it's just that sciences tend to be factual, objective, clear, run in a logical sequence, and have a purpose.
I know many autistics find interest in sciences. What is it about this field as opposed to others that might interest an autistic mind, do you think?

I find the way things work interesting, I value functionality, and prefer the non-subjective. However most people I know on the spectrum are not in the science, and most people in the sciences are not on the spectrum.

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2017, 6:27 pm

Maybe because the other subjects are social sciences.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 8:40 pm

I love biology, especially evolutionary biology.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 10:17 am

^ I find that interesting too. But it's everything about the sciences, from biology to astrophysics to particle physics, chemistry, botany and everything in between. At the moment I am very interested by environmental and laboratory sciences, especially limnology and freshwater systems.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

C2V wrote:
^ I find that interesting too. But it's everything about the sciences, from biology to astrophysics to particle physics, chemistry, botany and everything in between. At the moment I am very interested by environmental and laboratory sciences, especially limnology and freshwater systems.

Do you have an interest in fish tanks?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 11:44 pm

^ I've had aquariums before, but they're not exactly nomadic friendly.
I'm more interested in limnology in the broader context of environmental conservation. Freshwater systems are essential for all life, and human activity rapidly degrades the system. Without access to healthy water systems, all life is done for. It's a nice bigger picture. Also the aspects of it like chemical composition, purifying and filtering methods, human conservation efforts, and the ecosystems around freshwater sources (like the Yucatan senotes, for example) are very interesting.

wolventears
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Sep 2017, 9:45 pm

I guess, its because we're generally good at it.

I rather do engineering and computer science, because its practical and maybe invent something one day that doesn't exist yet.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Sep 2017, 5:30 am

I like science (physics) because doing it makes me feel safe and valued. I may be right or wrong on something, if I'm right, then I'm right, if I'm wrong, one can prove me wrong, I get it, then correct my knowledge and be right. None of these messy "different points of view" and insolubable arguments.
Also, in physics it doesn't matter who I am, my name, my age, the way I dress, the way I speak - all this is insignificant so I can feel at ease, no need to use my power supplies for adjusting to social life.

And, last but not least, I'm quite good at my small field, so why not like it?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 7:21 am

I like social science from the science side, because it provides a way to get definitive answers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2017, 10:58 am

When it is understood it makes life more predictable.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 10:48 am

C2V wrote:

Science and math are
1. Logical and Precise
2. Fact based and/or Logic based
3. Mostly devoid of ambiguities

What is not for an Aspie to love?

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2017, 10:31 am

I'm terrible at science, it was my worst subject in high school and it's always frustrating when people just assume I'd be good at it. I feel like I'm much more suited for the soft sciences and social studies.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 3:04 pm

From the perspectives of my experience with Aspergers (as someone who is not in a science related occupation): From watching 'The Big Bang Theory' TV series, I increasingly understand why science can be of interest to people on the Autism Spectrum.

It's especially notable when 'The Big Bang Theory' portrays characters on the Autism spectrum interacting with daunting Neurotypical environments.