Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

GraysonTerry19
Raven
Raven

12 Sep 2017, 3:34 am

Just to ask out of curiosity for those on the autism spectrum or any other disabilities. If your one of those people who have sensory issues & have trouble concentrating on something really important (say your trying to study for a really important exam, but family drama is distracting for an example).

What are some things you do or have done that helped you focused on something really important your trying to accomplish or has helped you accomplish your goal?

Going out for a walk, go to a different place (say friends house, hotel, etc), listening to music, & staying off online are some things that might help some people on the autism spectrum to concentrate. But I'm just asking out of curiosity. Thank you for reading & have a good day.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 7:35 am

Taking a distraction break like a movie, music, a walk helps some. But really it comes down to asserting willpower.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2017, 8:03 am

I'm in a program right now for college for physical therapy and I'm in the most difficult phase of that program. I've been having a lot of difficulty concentrating, but I've been able to compensate. I like to go to coffee shops or the library to study. I don't like being alone when I study because I tend to watch movies or surf the internet or whatever. When I'm out and about, there's enough temporary distractions to keep my mind busy.

Beyond that, I'll study for about 15 minutes and take a small break before I study again. After 6 or so sessions of that, I'll take an hour or two break and than do 6 or more sessions. When you have a lot to study, it can seem overwhelming. But if you break it down into small bits of information and focus on that can work your way through the material, you'll find you've learned most if not all of the material. You might have to do it a few times, but it works. Being persistent helps.

And remember, when you fill your head with so much information, your brain will likely throw some other stuff out that might be important. I locked my keys in the car the other day and had to call the locksmith, LOL.