Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 8:09 pm

yes, It was 40 years ago today! June 1st, 1967, kiddies
Think back, where were YOU??

and here is a quiz about it

This one is pretty tough!

Much Easier Quiz

What lyric is George pointing to on the back cover of the album?
* Which of these people is not on the cover of the album?
* What 'appears on the shore' in 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds'?
* Which Beatle wore the pink Sgt. Pepper suit on the cover?
* Who was the inspiration for the car crash part of the song 'A Day In The Life'?
* What song on the album makes a reference to the then-popular British TV show , 'Meet The Wife'?
* John got the idea for what song while shopping at a flea market?
* George's contribution to the album was which song?
* Some conservative American groups thought which song was actually about abortion?
* Producer George Martin added what instrument to 'When I'm Sixty-Four' to give it a more unique sound?
* Fill in the blanks in this lyric from "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds": "Cellophane flowers of ________ and ________ towering over your head."
* What time does the band begin "when Mr. K performs his tricks without a sound" in the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite"?
* Fill in the blank from the song "When I'm Sixty-Four": "Send me a postcard, drop me a line, stating point of view, indicate precisely what you mean to say yours sincerely __________ away."
* In the song "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", who is described as the "one and only"?
* What year was the album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" released?
* On the cover of the album a doll of Shirley Temple sits on the right side; what is on her sweater?
* How many songs are on the album?
* On the cover of the album, which two Beatles are NOT wearing hats as part of their Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band outfits?
* Who did not participate in the designing of the artwork on the album?
* How many of the Sgt. Peppers band members were mentioned by name in “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band”? (Not counting Sgt. Pepper himself

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

01 Jun 2007, 9:23 pm

I wasn't born yet, but I did hear about this on NPR today. :D

I do love that album.

midge
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2007, 2:25 am

Well, I hadn't been born yet myself (and my parents were quite young themselves) but I love the album (although I'd have to say that Abbey Road is my favourite...or maybe Revolver or Rubber Soul...oh, heck, I love them all!). Had I been around I probably would've been camped out in front of the record store.

Those questions are pretty tough, but I think I can answer some of those off the top of my head (my husband could probably answer all of them!).

Newspaper taxis are what appear on the shore, the inspiration for the car crash was Guiness Heiress Tara Browne, Good Morning Good Morning made the reference to Meet the Wife, Within You Without You was George's contribution, some thought She's Leaving Home was about abortion (an interesting sidenote: it was inspired by a newspaper story about a girl who they'd actually met briefly-or at least where in the same room with-years before), the cellophane flowers were (I think) yellow and green, the band begins at six, it was "The one and only Billy Shears", the album was released in 1967.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 7:51 am

I was at home in diapers less than one month old

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 8:22 am

Yeah, that's why I put it in the old folks forum. . .

:lol:

Merle

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 10:27 am

I was two and a half years old, and in Germany.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 9:11 pm

"She's Leaving Home," was supposedly about abortion. The man from the "motor trade" was supposedly an abortionist.

"Yours sincerely, wasting away" (Lyric from "When I'm 64")

"The one and only Billy Shears"

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 11:47 pm

About 5 months old.

Actually, this was one of my favorite albums later growing up...still flunked the quiz though. :lol:

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 11:25 am

Guess I listened to it some, but not till I was in Mexico, wondering what I was going to do about the draft.

* Who was the inspiration for the car crash part of the song 'A Day In The Life'?
It was some dude Lennon read about in the paper, he owned a big brewery.

* Fill in the blanks in this lyric from "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds": "Cellophane flowers of ________ and ________ towering over your head."
Yellow and Green, I think.

* Fill in the blank from the song "When I'm Sixty-Four": "Send me a postcard, drop me a line, stating point of view, indicate precisely what you mean to say yours sincerely __________ away."
Wasting

* Producer George Martin added what instrument to 'When I'm Sixty-Four' to give it a more unique sound?
Tuba?

* What time does the band begin "when Mr. K performs his tricks without a sound" in the song, "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite"?
10 to 6 on Saturday

* What song on the album makes a reference to the then-popular British TV show , 'Meet The Wife'?
ARG!! "It's time for tea and meet the wife" "I've got nothing to say, but it's ok, good morning, good morning". Christ I can remember the song but not the name.

* In the song "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", who is described as the "one and only"?
Billy Shears

We're talking a serious length of time since I paid any attention to this. It's kind of jumbled which songs were on that album vs some others and it doesn't help that English albums were different then American releases. A lot of what was released here as break through stuff, already was in England. Add to that todays tapes/cds are even more different. I think I knew more about the album back then. Well I did know it was an album and not a CD.

* Which of these people is not on the cover of the album?
Me.

5 out of 10 on the easy test, I flunk Beatles 101. I figured out how to play their music backwards on my reel to reel though.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 11:36 am

postpaleo wrote:
Which of these people is not on the cover of the album?
Me.

:lol: LOL :lol:

nor ME!

Merle

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 8:02 pm

LoL what are the female demons called?

A "succubus". Because of their oral talents, I presume.

I was only two years old when Sgt Pepper came out, but I heard it played all through my childhood, since my parents were big Beatle fans.

In fact, my mom still to this day loves to tell the following story ...

She just happened to be in New York the week the Beatles first came over for the Ed Sullivan show, in 1964. Exactly nine months and one day after the first Sullivan show, I was born.

People have told me I resemble Paul McCartney, but my dad says no, I look more like George. At which point I ask with mock exasperation ... "for heaven's sake, mom, which one of them did you do???"

She just smiles enigmatically.

This is one of those family myths that we never get tired of hearing ..

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 1:49 am

I gor 5 out of 10 on the small web quiz, not bad considering I was ten years yet to be born in 1967.

Taking a break.

Stone_Man
Toucan
Toucan

10 Aug 2009, 11:27 am

Ah, I remember it like it was yesterday ... that hot June morning when I bought my copy of Sgt. Pepper. I had just graduated from high school. The girl I was with insisted we run home right then to listen; we had been on our way to the beach, but we never made it that day.

Good stuff!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 11:50 am

I was 14 when they released Sgt. Pepper and had been saving bits of my meagre pocket money for months so I could buy it. I was quite shocked and awestruck when I first heard it because it was so different from the straight rock & roll they'd been doing before that (though the album before that (Revolver) was clearly heading that way). Not being one to accept sudden sweeping changes, it was a while before I got into it, but when I did, I loved it. 8)

Here's a link to a huge stash of downloadable Beatles material:
http://dinsdalep.podomatic.com/
There's lots of interviews and song out-takes on those podcasts.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2009, 4:17 pm

I was not alive then, I was born some years after it came out. My father did like the record so I heard it as a boy.

About the question Who was the inspiration for the car crash part of the song 'A Day In The Life'?

It was a man (Tara Browne) who crashed his car while driving very fast, nobody knows if the man was drunk or high on drugs. I confess I cheated by looking up the man's
name.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.