WARNING: Do Not Take Selfies with Bears

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 12:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
When I was in Colorado there were tourists going right up to bull elk snapping pictures.Just becuse it eats grass doesn't mean it won't stomp your ass.

Deer kill more people than any other wild animal, especially when they lose their fear of humans.

god i really f*****g hate deer. like, a lot. just the fact that they can run up in front of your car seemingly out of nowhere during a quiet night cruise and destroy yor property and probably kill you in the process...is a lot for me to take in.

i went to yosemite once, as a child. recall my father spotting some deer, maybe he wanted to do something stupid with them. my grandmother was with us, she "assured" me that he was safe, because he can run fast. that he can outrun them supposedly.

9 year old me knew that was pure bollocks and that he'd be a cripple assuming those deer had lost their fear of humans.

many animals in yosemite have, given their proximity to one another and the dumb s**t many visitors do. the last time i went up there, there had been a bear attack in the valley.

i hate deer. i really hate deer. if my car weren't older than the russian federation and it could take the impact...assuming a lot of things, really, considering the law probably frowns at deliberately hitting deer....i'd plow right through them whenever i'd see them.

jordan peele did a spectacular job making us hate the armitages in "get out", but i liked this quote of dean's (though i'm not sure if they really are destroying the ecosystem...)

Quote:
You know what I say? I say one down, a couple hundred thousand to go. I don't mean to get on my high horse, but I'm telling you, I do not like the deer. I'm sick of it; they're taking over. They're like rats. They're destroying the ecosystem. I see a dead deer on the side of the road and I think, "That's a start."

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 12:29 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
When I was in Colorado there were tourists going right up to bull elk snapping pictures.Just becuse it eats grass doesn't mean it won't stomp your ass.

Deer kill more people than any other wild animal, especially when they lose their fear of humans.

god i really f*****g hate deer. like, a lot. just the fact that they can run up in front of your car seemingly out of nowhere during a quiet night cruise and destroy yor property and probably kill you in the process...is a lot for me to take in.

i went to yosemite once, as a child. recall my father spotting some deer, maybe he wanted to do something stupid with them. my grandmother was with us, she "assured" me that he was safe, because he can run fast. that he can outrun them supposedly.

9 year old me knew that was pure bollocks and that he'd be a cripple assuming those deer had lost their fear of humans.

many animals in yosemite have, given their proximity to one another and the dumb s**t many visitors do. the last time i went up there, here had been a bear attack in the valley,

i hate deer. i really hate deer. if my car weren't older than the russian federation and it could take the impact...assuming a lot of things, really, considering the law probably frowns at deliberately hitting deer....i'd plow right through them whenever i'd see them.

jordan peele did a spectacular job making us hate the armitages in "get out", but i liked this quote of dean's (though i'm not sure if they really are destroying the ecosystem...)

Quote:
You know what I say? I say one down, a couple hundred thousand to go. I don't mean to get on my high horse, but I'm telling you, I do not like the deer. I'm sick of it; they're taking over. They're like rats. They're destroying the ecosystem. I see a dead deer on the side of the road and I think, "That's a start."

AuntBlabby, who is of course a long time WP member, had been knocked off his bike a few years ago while riding through the forest. Just barely avoiding falling to his death over a steep ravine, he ended up with both arms broken, thanks to that animal.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 12:52 am

Just about everyone here has been in an accident with one.My ex's cousin died from rolling his truck to avoid one.One ran into our car on Friday the thirteenth.That wasn't the only time we hit one.
They are eating the ecosystem,ginseng and other rare plants get devoured.Some citied have archery hunts becuse they are so thick.They carry ticks with Lyme disease.
They are so overpopulated here that they have a disease called Chronic Wasting.Similar to Madcow.Ive had three sick ones show up on my yard.Two I put down.The third flopped down the hill into the creek belly up.I couldn't shoot it there,the creek runs down into the swimming hole and I didn't think I could drag it out.I went back to look for it later,but it had gotten enough strength back to stagger off somewhere else.
We used to fill the freezer with venison,but I'm not eating it now.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2017, 4:50 pm

Raptor wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
While I was walking the Appalachian Trail in the Grayson Highlands in Virginia,
there were all these signs saying "Do not bother the wild horses."
Well no worries, because one of the wild horses decided to take the initiative and bother ME!
Came right up to me and grabbed the pocket of my jacket with her teeth,
probably looking for an apple.

The horse went back to grazing on discovering that I had no food with me.

Beautiful place though with awesome views...

Indeed, Raptor.

Here's a photo of the horse that bit my jacket:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 6:03 pm

I wouldn't touch a bear with a 40 ft pole, never mind take a picture with one.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 6:55 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Raptor wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
Well no worries, because one of the wild horses decided to take the initiative and bother ME!

Indeed, Raptor.

They auction off some of them every year.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 8:00 pm

I would encourage any mental deficient who feels it's a great idea to take a selfie with a bear to have at it -- if only I didn't know it would end badly for the poor omnivorous creature should it decide to make a feast of the idiot's intestines.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:01 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

many animals in yosemite have, given their proximity to one another and the dumb s**t many visitors do. the last time i went up there, there had been a bear attack in the valley.

Quote:

Better to take up archery, or riflery, and hunt them that way than to use your car to kill fresh venison. The deer might leap straight up and bounce off your hood and you will end up with hoofen feet crashing through your windshield.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 9:03 pm

Not if you engineer the vehicle to mow down deer like a combine harvester.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 4:53 am

the_phoenix wrote:
"Fabrocini recalls, among other things, witnessing a woman walk up to the bears trying to take a selfie, while carrying her child.uhh

"You read that right. A mom with her child approached three wild animals."

http://www.9news.com/news/local/police-remind-people-not-to-take-selfies-with-bears-as-if-that-has-to-be-said/474905898

It's hard to bear such stupidity.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 3:22 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
Raptor wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:

Indeed, Raptor.

What an odd/unique looking horse.

That mane makes it look like a "friendship is magic" horse come to life! :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:24 pm

It is adorable.Looks more pony like than horse.We had a Welsh that was that color,flaxen chestnut.
There are wild horses in the MO,Ozarks,but they just look like regular horses.That looks like something a hobbit would ride.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:49 pm

Yeah. Something a Hobbit would ride. :)

Ive never seen a horse with a deep pile carpet on it like that (not exactly "shaggy", but not your stereotypical velvet coat).

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 8:51 pm

Misslizard wrote:
It is adorable.Looks more pony like than horse.We had a Welsh that was that color,flaxen chestnut.
There are wild horses in the MO,Ozarks,but they just look like regular horses.That looks like something a hobbit would ride.

It is a pony. There are several around there.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:26 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I wouldn't touch a bear with a 40 ft pole, never mind take a picture with one.

The irony being, especially for you, CockneyRebel,
that it was a little old German woman with a thick accent
and a walking stick she picked up from the trail
who helped me fend off the horse. 8)

It's a long story.
My only regret is I didn't take a picture of her.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:27 pm

Raptor wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:
Raptor wrote:
the_phoenix wrote:

Indeed, Raptor.

They auction off some of them every year.

I wish all the horses could run free ...