Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fodderstompf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2007, 3:32 am

More than anything, I hate sudden, shocking noises. Thunder, slamming doors and most of all cars honking. Also can't stand the noise the TV makes when it's switched on, sometimes that sound is louder to me than the actual programme. Argh, distracting.

quirkyboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2007, 11:18 am

I appreciate the input from everyone.I'm learning a great deal here.I'm alittle sad at having to look back at the problems I've had,but I'm hopeful that I can learn some skills that will help in the future.I'm wondering what medication Cryowolf is taking that helps.I try to avoid meds at all cost,but I'm curious as to what has been bebeficial for you.Thanks again

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2007, 12:16 pm

living at Super Happy Fun land, I have become desensitised to loud jarring mind-scrambling sounds...and I wear ear plugs ALOT....but I used to freak out about it alot more...I still find myself in a frequent state of high stress when the bands are playing though...where my mood/well-being go out the window...it is very difficult to explain to people that I am really sensitive to noise....it just does not make sense to them. I used to panic when this one particular band played that had TWO basses and no guitar...there was something about them that made me feel like a trapped animal scuttling around in a cage.
Also, sometimes, me and Flakey will have sound wars...where I will try to turn down the stereo, and he will turn it up even louder...so he can be a little insensitive to my noise sensitivity...then again, he had an ongoing festival for years called "Horrible Noise"
This might sorta demonstrate the difference between an NT/ADDer (him) and an ADDer with AS/HFA tendancies (me)

I am not so sensitive to normal little everyday sounds...these days...but atonal singing....not in any particular key or melody...will set my hackles up....I, myself am a constant singer (when I am in the mood)...and so would quickly get on some people'a nerves.

UrbanStrike
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Jun 2007, 7:04 pm

If I'm not making the noise, it usually upsets me. Of course, the louder the worse it is :(

Which is odd because I've played in bands (still do) my whole life.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2007, 2:40 am

me too..since i was 15 and, before that, musical theatre...

Weather
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2007, 11:13 pm

Ok so I'm hearing impaired so it will seem strange.

But yes there are noises I hate.

High-pitched noises

Whistles

Motorcycles or loud engines.

The sound of kids playing with balloons (I have a fear of balloons)

Loud, startling noises.

The popping that my refrigerator makes when it starts up.

Crinkling bags, potato chip bags. Ugh that will get on my nerves.

Scraping forks across plates. Eeeeeee!!

I can't think of any other right now.

Weather

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2007, 3:46 am

I hate bass music, loud or quiet as it sounds louder than the main tune. I hate high pitched sounds such as those animal frighteners (yup I can hear those...), My mom's radio drives me mad and I hate my step-dad's voice coming through the floor. I CAN'T go into restaurants and I eat alone because the noise is unbearable...

My advice. Go to an audiologist. Although it is early in research, I am getting two hearing aids which instead of amplifying the sound, play quiet white noise. Although it will be annoying for a little while, it should help. The audiologist also told me NOT to wear earplugs because wearing earplugs has caused the 'volume switch' in my brain to turn right up to hear speech etc. In other words, by wearing earplugs and becoming dependant on them, I have been making myself ill.