Can autistic males be mistaken as "effeminate" ?

Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 1:50 pm

The "extreme male brain theory" of autism is not about being macho or having a deep voice or rugged looks. It is about "systemizing" ie nerd, geek male stereotypes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2017, 2:36 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The "extreme male brain theory" of autism is not about being macho or having a deep voice or rugged looks. It is about "systemizing" ie nerd, geek male stereotypes.

To an extent you are right, I am proud to be nerdy. However, how many Aspie males have you ever heard of who are the 'Jock' or 'lad' type of male? I can definitely be aggressive (without being physical or raising my voice) and am not in the least effeminate (deep voice, very hairy etc!). I would suggest that many straight Aspies are more male than 'normal' males. We manifest a whole range of classically 'masculine' behaviours.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 4:56 pm

nephets wrote:
[I sometimes get a whiff of it when reading stuff by men on the Web, when they display what to me is a puerile, sex-obsessed mentality about women, and it seems depressingly common. Even when I was a teenager I wasn't too heavily into that].

Agreed, is it not the case that all the beery. aggressive, team-sports obsessed, violent masculine sub-culture, just dreadfully homo-erotic? I take no particular pleasure in the company of males for this reason. The members of this culture seem desperate to shout about how straight they are.

It seems a plausible theory, though I guess I'll never know why they do what they do. Outside of actual sexual relationships I have trouble fathoming those who define themselves by their gender, though it's a question of degree - I'd hate to acquire a permanent squeaky voice for example, so I can't honestly damn the whole attitude. I just don't see why society is so concerned with gender signals when we're mostly supposed to be monogamous and even between partners a lot of the interaction has nothing to do with gender.

Thanks for quoting me by the way, it made me feel listened to.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 5:07 pm

EclecticWarrior wrote:
half of all trans youths treated in the UK are on the spectrum)

Citation?

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

25 Sep 2017, 3:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I know I was veering of topic when I started typing about peeing standing up :lol: OK, here's my opinion about this theory. I for one don't necessarily belief that this is the case. Because if this was true then people with severe autism would have been "systemitizer extraordanaire".
Instead, I believe that this systemizing behaviour is more of a coping mechanism to counteract the effect of autism which is the irrational, the chaotic, the crazy and the abstract. It's a mechanism that controls the flow of abstract information, form it into something that resembles rational thought before bringing it to the realm of reality. If my opinion is somewhat correct then this would explain why even those on the genius side of the spectrum will still have some eccentricities, oddities, quirks and fetishes because they might be able to tame some of the crazies with their systemizing but inevitably fail to contain all of it.
Simply put someone that grows up with a brain that is half crazy is bound to develop coping skills to counter the effect of their disability, either that or they go full blown crazy.
Please take note that none of this is based on scientific studies this is but a humble opinion.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 11:29 am

Chichikov wrote:
EclecticWarrior wrote:
half of all trans youths treated in the UK are on the spectrum)

Citation?

None provided so I'll assume you just made that up.