Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 12:30 am

Why is it ok to go up to someone and interrupt their conversation.

I've found this happen a lot when I'm trying to talk to people in a group social setting.

Is what the interrupted has to say really that important that they have to butt in to someone else's conversation.

I find it really hard to get to know people in group settings because of this.

Especially if I've managed to get a guy I like to talk to me and someone else comes over to talk to him, completely ignoring the fact that I'm talking to him.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 11:26 am

It's not okay. If someone does this they probably either don't have any manners (or they have but they've decided that they aren't necessary at the moment) or they have trouble with entering a conversation naturally and seeing when it really is a conversation between just the selected people and that others aren't welcome. I'm afraid I'm part of the second group and am often seen as rude because of it.

The point is, if someone interrupts your conversation it doesn't automatically mean they want to hurt your feelings or something, they just might be a bit clumsy when it comes to socializing. But of course, jerks also exist and telling them apart from these people is sometimes hard.