Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 1:07 pm

sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Costco pays a living middle class wage, people don't quit Costco and spots rarely open up. All other retailers pay min wage and treat their employees like crap. And they have lots and lots of turn over for it. I imagine it cost them more to train new people then it would to pay their current employees nought to stay. Lots of people leaving my store for better paying jobs :( won't be many people left who are nice to me.

But to the newbies you're 'that guy who's been here awhile' and useful. They might be nice to you even if they don't care for you on the basis that you're useful and better integrated then they are.

I'm up in the corner away from everyone, most newbies don't even know I work at the store. I imagine the women tell them about me. Had new lady who always been mean to me. Though it's probably just I'm a min wage guy so why waste their time with me.

Ah, that might provide the motivation to be more outgoing then. It's not because the new people are actually super interesting, but because it allows you to preemptively build a positive picture of who you are for them before someone tears you down in an attempt to make themselves appear better.

Aren't all the guys there basically "minimum wage guys"? I'm sure some of them have success at establishing relationships with members of the opposite gender. Since they have some of the same limitations as you, pay attention to what they do differently. Definitely we may have limitations compared to some people, but they're not entirely insurmountable.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 2:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Costco pays a living middle class wage, people don't quit Costco and spots rarely open up. All other retailers pay min wage and treat their employees like crap. And they have lots and lots of turn over for it. I imagine it cost them more to train new people then it would to pay their current employees nought to stay. Lots of people leaving my store for better paying jobs :( won't be many people left who are nice to me.

But to the newbies you're 'that guy who's been here awhile' and useful. They might be nice to you even if they don't care for you on the basis that you're useful and better integrated then they are.

I'm up in the corner away from everyone, most newbies don't even know I work at the store. I imagine the women tell them about me. Had new lady who always been mean to me. Though it's probably just I'm a min wage guy so why waste their time with me.

Ah, that might provide the motivation to be more outgoing then. It's not because the new people are actually super interesting, but because it allows you to preemptively build a positive picture of who you are for them before someone tears you down in an attempt to make themselves appear better.

Aren't all the guys there basically "minimum wage guys"? I'm sure some of them have success at establishing relationships with members of the opposite gender. Since they have some of the same limitations as you, pay attention to what they do differently. Definitely we may have limitations compared to some people, but they're not entirely insurmountable.

Most of them are either retired, working this as a second job for discounts, or working here while going to college. There's another guy in my department who is physically disabled and works 8 hours. Most the girls are 18-23 and going to college. The others are older married women wth kids. I'm like the only person there in 30s who this is it for me. Everyone else is working as a stepping stone to something better or part time for the discounts. Women don't seem to respect s guy who works min wage part time :(

SectorStar
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2017, 3:50 pm

sly279 wrote:
SectorStar wrote:
sly279 wrote:
that1weirdgrrrl wrote:
SectorStar wrote:
bobchaos wrote:

One more thing: If you believe your location is part of the issue, Costco is HUGE. I bet you could ask for a transfer to another store if you want to go look for love elsewhere.

True on it being huge, but being able to transfer is not as easy as you may think it is. Especially if its warehouses in bigger cities. The ones up north from me I know lots of employees that have been trying to transfer for years, but can't because there isn't any spots available in those locations unless someone quits or dies.

Part of why I got hired on was because I applied when they first started building my store. And it probably had to do also with out of 3,500 people applying, 70 percent of the first wave slated to be hired failed the drug test. I'm probably the 1 percent of the population here in my city that can function as a human without pot or drugs <_<

Even at my little store (which is considered smaller than most warehouses) we don't get a lot of new hires unless a lot of people quit which doesn't happen often. The only time I can really think of is a few years back when several female employees got pregnant back to back and didn't want to return to work after their maternity leave was over with.

Maybe put in for transfers to several locations? That way if something opens up, it increases your odds of being picked.

Also, it never hurts to shoot off some job applications. Maybe another chain will want to hire you.

I realize all of this is playing the numbers game, but if you have a little time, I'd think it'd be worth it.

Best of luck

Other chains will never pay $23 an hour. It'll be min wage or maybe at most 13 for wearhouse who work overnight. I dont know that my mangers make that much, the general manger might.

Exactly! Most retail stores from when I checked from yearly statistics posted online only pay around a couple dollars above min wage with no chance of a raise or increase, or at best a couple dollars. In Oregon min wage is a few cents shy of $10 an hour. I had a friend that got a "manager" position in a retail chain not that long ago that paid $12. When I started working at Costco back in 2010 the starting wage there was $11.25. At the moment I think they bumped it up to $12 an hour. After every so many hours you work you're guaranteed a raise till you top out around $23 an hour. It usually takes about 6-8 years for a part time employee to top out depending on the hours they work and their attendance record. I've never missed a day of work in my 7 years there and usually worked atleast slightly over 30 hours a week. So a starting new hire at Costco makes more money than most retail managers make. Needless to say I'm glad I got hired on when I did there.

I know a lot of you are trying to help, but I have no interest in moving away somewhere else for romance.

I'm in Oregon, lane county is more pay then Rosenberg, and Portland more then lane county as part of the min wage compromise.

You're quite lucky. I'll always make min wage :(. Costco wouldn't hire me, I barely got this job. They probably only kept me this long cause no one else will work in my department except me and two other guys. Store has big turn around, my department more so then others. I deal with it. One day at a time, it's pretty rough some days. But there's nothing better for me :(.

Ya Oregon is kinda messed up with the different county pays, while its true you might make more in your county, it also means the cost of things there are probably slightly higher than me as well. By the time you're done factoring in the difference in costs with things, its probably a bit more even

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:40 pm

SectorStar wrote:

Ya Oregon is kinda messed up with the different county pays, while its true you might make more in your county, it also means the cost of things there are probably slightly higher than me as well. By the time you're done factoring in the difference in costs with things, its probably a bit more even

I know food cost less here then Missouri and they get $7 hour min wage.
Rent keeps going up though.

They wanted to raise whole state to $15 an hour eventually but republicans stopped that and that's why we have the 3 sections that are and raise different each year. It's confusing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 4:51 pm

sly279 wrote:
They wanted to raise whole state to $15 an hour eventually but republicans stopped that and that's why we have the 3 sections that are and raise different each year. It's confusing.

It's funny, because their compromise spits in the face of small government ideals that supposedly motivate conservatives and the egalitarian ideas that allegedly motivate much of the left. That said, if it works it's better than nothing. I suppose time will tell.

sly279 wrote:
Most of them are either retired, working this as a second job for discounts, or working here while going to college. There's another guy in my department who is physically disabled and works 8 hours. Most the girls are 18-23 and going to college. The others are older married women wth kids. I'm like the only person there in 30s who this is it for me. Everyone else is working as a stepping stone to something better or part time for the discounts. Women don't seem to respect s guy who works min wage part time :(

Ugh, that sounds like a depressing environment. As much as I hated call centre work, it was nice having a lot of approximate peers around. I imagine to some extent part of what turns people off about part-time workers is that living indepedently on part time, minimum wage income is effectively impossible. Even if they really like that person, they also like to imagine being able to live independently with their SigOth, so if they don't believe that's likely to happen it makes that person appear to not be very suitable as a long-term partner.

One piece of advise I stole from another thread...

kaedatiger wrote:
My most successful strategy, personally, is just to go out periodically and meet new friends through mutual friends and/ or shared activities. Eventually,

one of those people catches my interest, we get to know each other more, and something develops between us.

Can you hit the target more times with 5 shots or 500? Even if you miss 95% of the time, with 500 rounds expended you've hit 25 times. With 5 rounds fired there's only a 25% chance you hit even once. Combine that with what is likely a lower pressure technique and you might find better outcomes, no promises though.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 5:57 pm

So you agree my situation is hopeless.

I'll reply to the rest later. Shift starts in 2 mins

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 6:16 pm

sly279 wrote:
So you agree my situation is hopeless.

I'll reply to the rest later. Shift starts in 2 mins

I don't agree it's hopeless, but I can understand feeling it's hopeless. I'd say it's incredibly difficult. That said, success in this regard is kind of like not drowning for a shark - they need to stay moving in order to not die, and humans need to remain hopeful in order to not die, losing hope opens us up to all sorts of self-destructive behaviours that end up eliminating further sources of hope, creating a viscous cycle.

I wonder if another job environment might be better. It sounds like options are limited, but it might the sort of thing that you have no choice but to change if you want things to get better.

Have a good shift, I should be at work too right now but I'm too sick to last 10 hours.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Nov 2017, 10:23 pm

You could try the mail-order bride route. I would of done that if I had the money & resources

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition