American Professor Couple Identify Major Cause of Autism

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

26 Sep 2017, 7:09 am

Voxish wrote:
What a load of bollocks, honestly how can anyone give any credence to this rubbish. I would have thought that the researchers (lol) were in serious danger of committing professional suicide.

The research isn't bollocks. However, the reporting of it in the popular press most certainly is. I don't know how much of that is the researchers' fault. At this point nobody holds journalists to account for poor scientific reporting.

At this point, there's not much doubt that some common mouse models for autism are dependent on gut bacteria. The issue is that most people don't understand just how limited the implications of that are.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

26 Sep 2017, 8:04 am

For me, I like to think about what I have read. I like to put things through my "bulls*t logic test" Often times, things I have read don't pass the test.

The quoted examples of research in one of the earlier responses express similar things. A few things stick out to me that don't allow me to buy into the researchers findings as it relates to ASD... 1) (this is an oldie but a goodie) Correlation does not equal causation. 2)- "ASD Like Behaviors" Why be so specific in all of your other data but not list what characteristics were observed with the MIA associated birth vs. the birth with the antibody blockade? Furthermore, what single behavioral characteristic is solely attributed to ASD? What SOCIAL and/or COMMUNICATIVE deficits did the mice display? 3) If it only applies to only a "subset of ASD individuals" then how can it be the cause for all?

I would give the research more credence if it was not so general in nature when it comes to linking it to ASD.

and to come full circle on my original post... The title of the Article was Korean-American Professor Couple Identify Major Cause of Autism

I say question everything no matter how quick you found it on the internet.

Ennui0001
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2017, 11:37 am

Many women who are pregnant make frequent doctor visits. Couldn't this be checked, at least for correlation/no correlation, by a study that researches viral infections, while pregnant, in mothers of asd individuals?
Also, there are said to be many things that could turn on the many different genes thought to be responsible for autism. Maybe bacteria could be one of the triggers for a certain genetic combination. I'm not saying it is. I'm saying it could be, and so could just about anything else.

For me, the testosterone levels in utero hypothesis makes the most sense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 5:21 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
At this point nobody holds journalists to account for poor scientific reporting.

Aren't major media groups and publishers subject to editorial accuracy? In this respect prior to publishing of media reports on scientific manuscripts the editor must receive approval from the primary author that the news article does not "distort" their research. At least this applies to major news outlets. This explains why Oxford Uni recently had a problem with some of their researchers using news media to promote their findings making claims that exaggerated the practical implications of the findings.

The researchers in most cases don't mind the publicity as it only helps their cause in attracting future money from funding bodies

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:53 pm

I think that in the age of clickbait, there is less editorial accountability in "scientific" media reporting. Most popular media outlets report studies by making claims far more extensive in their headlines than the experimenters do, even the experimenters who push their own one-off findings onto the media as personal PR.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 12:43 am

goldfish21 wrote:
As I posted about, here, in November of 2013. Science is slowly catching up to my experience, findings, and hypotheses. I’ve learned several things since but have yet to really write about them - some minor details, some significant experiences that confirmed a few things. Someday I’ll write an update.

Anyways; Link:
http://www.koreadailyus.com/korean-amer ... se-autism/

Apologies if it’s been posted. I did a quick search and didn’t find anything.

My mother actually did have a virus when she was pregnant with me. However her cousin has HFA and she had another cousin on the spectrum as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 2:19 am

B19 wrote:
I think that in the age of clickbait, there is less editorial accountability in "scientific" media reporting. Most popular media outlets report studies by making claims far more extensive in their headlines than the experimenters do, even the experimenters who push their own one-off findings onto the media as personal PR.

I agree but the prevalence of this lack of accountability is probably a function of the news source. There's been a conflation of online news sources and most are not (as you say) as accountable as the larger news media.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

27 Sep 2017, 9:00 am

The link to the article that appeared in Nature Journal of Science... Click Here for Nature Journal of Science article

For your own discernment and points of reference.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 2:22 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
At this point, there's not much doubt that some common mouse models for autism are dependent on gut bacteria. The issue is that most people don't understand just how limited the implications of that are.

Please cite your sources determining that the implications of gut bacteria on ASD are limited.

Like a broken record: It’s been my real life experience that most people don’t understand just how critical the implications of gut bacteria on ASD symptoms is.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 2:26 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
As I posted about, here, in November of 2013. Science is slowly catching up to my experience, findings, and hypotheses. I’ve learned several things since but have yet to really write about them - some minor details, some significant experiences that confirmed a few things. Someday I’ll write an update.

Anyways; Link:

Not this crap again. Oh yeah, mice are autistic because some like to bury marbles in their bedding. Whatever.

I know this is false for the following reason. My brother is NT as it gets, and he and I had the same mother within 2 years of each other, ate the same diet in the same house, and were subjected to the same kinds of intestinal bacteria. If this crap is true, then tell me why a low functioning person with classic autism cant be made fully NT by antibiotics and a gluten/casein pseudoscience diet? Because thats the only form of success I'd accept to prove this, and the treatment success rate would have to be a high one. If this did in fact work, then the parents of low functioning autistic kids would be lining up for it.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 2:49 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Anyways; Link:

Hey also there Pretty Carp, did you culture your fecal bacteria, isolate particular species believed to cause autism, and prove it through Kochs Postulates? Just curious. Because as a scientist I dont accept anecdotal evidence as the gospel.

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 3:55 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
And I'll wait until this "amazing discovery" is replicated and verified by many other scientists.

Meanwhile, I’ve been carrying on with the diet and treatment protocol that works to treat ASD well enough for me to continue living the second life that I am. I’ve been working full time and having fun kiteboarding in the Summer, hanging out at the beach, going to a few major party weekends a year, and moving forward on various goals vs spinning my wheels in frustration waiting for someone else to tell me what to do. To each their own, though.

If I can persuade anyone local, or not, to analyze me and what I do in a clinical/lab enviro, I’d gladly participate in the name of science & sharing the wealth of this knowledge with the countless people it could help. But until then, all I have is my personal experience to share.

And the article in question identifies the gut bacteria of the mother as a possible cause of autism. No mention of an individual's gut bacteria causing autism and then being cured via diet.

Also, I'd love to know how they diagnosed mice as "autistic."

..which are inherited by the offspring & then make up the gut microbiome that in turn dictates many neurological functions + mood etc via the enteric nervous system sending signals to the brain right up the vagus nerve.

Same way other studies have done the same thing: scientific observation of the mice’ behaviour. Even Autism Speaks posted an article a few years ago about diagnosing Autistic behaviours in mice and then treating them via probiotics and observing the differences.

Oh yes the Autism Speaks hate group. Thats all I need to see.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 12:31 am

drwho222 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Anyways; Link:

Not this crap again. Oh yeah, mice are autistic because some like to bury marbles in their bedding. Whatever.

I know this is false for the following reason. My brother is NT as it gets, and he and I had the same mother within 2 years of each other, ate the same diet in the same house, and were subjected to the same kinds of intestinal bacteria. If this crap is true, then tell me why a low functioning person with classic autism cant be made fully NT by antibiotics and a gluten/casein pseudoscience diet? Because thats the only form of success I'd accept to prove this, and the treatment success rate would have to be a high one. If this did in fact work, then the parents of low functioning autistic kids would be lining up for it.

I don’t know what the scientific criteria are for disgnosing autistic behaviour in mice. Some have been mentioned in some articles I’ve read in the past, though, so they do exist. You would have to contact a research scientist involved in this sort of thing and ask them if you want to know.

In your example, the mother’s gut bacteria has ample time to change over a period of 2 years between births. She could have had an infection and/or taken antibiotics etc.

AFAIK ASD brain structuring is triggered by some gut bacteria or another during fetal development, so there’s still the “hard wired” component to ASD. Add specific antibiotics/probiotics and it’s treatable (I’ve been doing it for over 4 years) but it isn’t curable as the brain cannot be completely rewired to the “NT map” of connectivity.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 12:36 am

drwho222 wrote:
Hey also there Pretty Carp, did you culture your fecal bacteria, isolate particular species believed to cause autism, and prove it through Kochs Postulates? Just curious. Because as a scientist I dont accept anecdotal evidence as the gospel.

No. I’ve been transparent about that from the very first post I made about this 4 years ago. I wasn’t conducting a medical study - I was saving my own life from the personal hell of depression, anxiety, and the most amplified ASD symptoms of my entire life. Also, as stated countless times, I’d be more than happy to participate in a lab study in the name of science.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Oct 2017, 7:05 pm

drwho222 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Anyways; Link:

Whatever the validity of the research, anecdotal evidence of individual cases doesn't provide much information one way or the other. If the argument being presented is of a largely statistical nature then individual examples don't, in themselves, have much statistical significance.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 9:32 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
drwho222 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Anyways; Link:

I don’t know what the scientific criteria are for disgnosing autistic behaviour in mice. Some have been mentioned in some articles I’ve read in the past, though, so they do exist. You would have to contact a research scientist involved in this sort of thing and ask them if you want to know.

In your example, the mother’s gut bacteria has ample time to change over a period of 2 years between births. She could have had an infection and/or taken antibiotics etc.

AFAIK ASD brain structuring is triggered by some gut bacteria or another during fetal development, so there’s still the “hard wired” component to ASD. Add specific antibiotics/probiotics and it’s treatable (I’ve been doing it for over 4 years) but it isn’t curable as the brain cannot be completely rewired to the “NT map” of connectivity.
The study linked directly claimed to have a cure. "a cure for autism." So no backing your way out of that one. ASD isnt' curable you might be able to cure certain symptoms but all of them oh please. That's just ridiculous. And that bacteria thing is BS eitherway.