Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

autism1022
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2017, 4:57 pm

hello need some kind support im having dentist surgery done on the 28th there doing a sedative filling a cleaning, pulling a tooth maybe more i am a little scared because there using liquid versed and laughing gas i will be strapped down too for my safety on a rainbow papoose board what should i wear what should i expect can you please try and explain and will i be ok im very scared last time any advice or opinion i do have autism and special needs please offer me some support i need it thank you

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 5:14 pm

It's been a long time since I was exposed to laughing gas (nitrous oxide), but I had a lot of dental surgery as a kid and that's what they used commonly back then.

It's just what the name says, they put the plastic mask over your mouth and nose, and you breathe it in, it has no smell or taste as I recall, but it can make you giggle and laugh like a crazy person, then the next thing you know, you're waking up in another room, like nothing happened, and it's all over. You may feel a little woozy for a while, and need someone to steady you when you walk to the car, but that's about it. Go home, go to bed, and read a book. You'll be fine.

Graceling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2017, 1:16 am

If you typically get cold, wear a sweater or at least long sleeves - check with the dentist's office, though, if they're doing IV sedation, sleeves may get in the way. If you tend to be warm, light clothes/short sleeves. If you need pressure to feel calm, you can take a weighted blanket or you can ask the dentist for one of the lead aprons they lay over you for doing xrays. If they're giving you sedation plus gas, you probably won't be aware of what's going on and likely won't remember it much, either. I've never had more than just gas alone, and that was usually fine for me. I understand being scared and freaking out - I go into panic attacks just from the smell of a dentist's office - but try not to worry too much. It will all be over really fast and you'll go on with your life whether you spend your energy being scared now or not. You're going to be fine. You can do this.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 1:40 am

I prefer intravenous anesthesia. I don't like having that mask put on my face. Usually they have me too looped up to feel scared even before they put me under. It's like I wake up in another room before they even really get started. I had an extraction not too long ago and it went okay. I just wear my ordinary clothes.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 2:00 am

i had an esophagogastroduodenoscopy *breath* done earlier this year. they administered some intravenous sedatives/anesthesia.

they said i wouldn't remember anything.

i remember everything, lying down afterwards included. some people have different tolerances to the stuff.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.