Being extremely emotionally sensitive

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Sep 2017, 1:38 pm

I would say I am a very emotional person but no-one would agree with me I don't think. I come across as cold. I was shocked a few days ago when my bf was commenting on how I was genuinely upset about my dog being old now and having to take her to the vets cos her back end was going and I knew her heart had gotten even worse. I couldn't believe it! She's my dog! Of course I'm attached to her and am upset. Even now I still can't believe he said it. I must come across so bad

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 8:58 pm

Roo95 wrote:
the stereotype that people with ASD are cold hearted, emotionless people like robots and can't feel certain emotions like empathy, love and so on.

I always knew I was different than everyone else, but for that stereotype, I never connected it to autism until really recently. I always thought I was too empathetic and too sensitive. It took a while to realize that what I feel is so much that it's blinding and I don't project what I feel in a way that makes sense to other people. I feel too much to know the right words to use or gestures that people expect. Avoiding eye contact or other attention from people is because it feels too strongly to me, but from their perspective I guess it appears cold.

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2017, 4:13 am

AspieSingleDad wrote:
Yes, this actually happens to me a lot. I can't pick up on some opportunities to be empathetic, but when something bad happens to a friend or loved one, I can get as upset as they are if not more so. My theory is that if somebody loses somebody, for instance, I can empathize because I've had similar experiences.

So when I look back at how much I struggled with loss, I feel bad for the person who just lost somebody because I don't want them to go through the same thing. The irony is I usually get more upset than the NT person does because the NT person can cope with loss better than I can. So my concerns about that person going through the same thing I am aren't quite accurate.

Thats exactly how I am. I can't imagine how they feel but if I have been through the same thing, I know how I'd feel so I think that's how they are feeling, the same as I was but I think they didn't experience the emotions as strong as I did. I also experience other emotions strongly like anger especially. My parents think it's because often I May get upset but don't show it like bottled up emotions

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2017, 2:38 pm

I've pretty-much learned to avoid letting emotions "get the best of us!"

Most of what sensitivities I (subtlety) feel are those sentiments of being well......on the 'wrong planet.'

* Remember the bumper-sticker, "beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here!"?