Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2017, 11:02 am

I have no idea what is visual learner i feel dumb and what they do so anyone of you are visual learners?

Diagnosis Asperger's Syndrome back in 2005
also have Anxiety Disorder, OCD

Severe to Profound on my left ear and have cochlear implant on Right ear i'm Deaf

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:34 pm

A visual learner is someone who learns by seeing and watching. I'm a visual learner.

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Sep 2017, 3:32 pm

Same here. When I was learning through work experience, I've always done best through observing a more experienced individual show me how first, then having a go myself (kinesthetic learning); in the future, the visual information would be encoded to memory, then I can vividly recall how to do it again in the real world ("seeing connections in everything"). I have very poor auditory learning, however, which is probably because I have auditory processing disorder, you'll tell me something and it'll go in one ear and out the next.

Not saying everyone on the spectrum is a visual learner, but I suspect most are.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 3:58 pm

Also, someone who can extrapolate things and visualise it inside the head to figure things out.

= Not just seeing thing visually to learn something.

Insertcoolname
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2017, 6:10 pm

I am an auditory learner. But let me contrast for you.
In the classroom setting watching a lesson on the board. When recalling the information, i do so by replaying the "audio file" and going from there.

A visual learner maybe able to "see" the information from memory. And go from there.

To compare, Perhaps its something like different file formats on computer that all open up the same text on a white page.

RAADS:~170

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 6:22 pm

Insertcoolname wrote:
A visual learner maybe able to "see" the information from memory. And go from there

That's idetic memory, but it is probably related. I can recall images of situations and even "save" snapshots.

When i told people about it they were amazed because they couldn't do it. I thought everyone could.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 6:45 pm

Some people need to see pictures. Math problems are easier for some people if you draw pictures and label things. I can do it that way. I can also figure out math just by looking at numbers. I can even find patterns pretty easy by looking at tables of numbers. Later in life I found that many people prefer to graph numbers in an effort to discern patterns that would just jump out at me.l

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 10:10 pm

Three types of learners:

Visual: A Visual learner learns best by seeing something.

Auditory: An auditory learner learns best by hearing something.

Kinesthetic: A kinesthetic learner learns best by doing something.

Everyone has certain circumstances under which they will prefer each of the three, but most people have one style that they prefer to do most of the time.

Leeds_Demon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2017, 10:59 am

I am none of the three types, but I do know don't like reading instructions, as they confuse me. Temple Grandin mentioned three types of thinkers - but I don't think in any of the ways she mentions. Dr. Grandin reckons a visual thinker is good at things, such as Lego. But I'm not.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 11:49 am

I also need words to learn too. I can't just see pictures or moving pictures without any language to understand it. That is like watching a silent film with no caption. I am also a hands on learning when learning to do something. So I guess I am all three.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 3:36 pm

I learn best when things are written down.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 3:38 pm

I am a visual learner. I can't even process what people say half the time, let alone learn from it :lol: !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2017, 6:16 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
Three types of learners:

Visual: A Visual learner learns best by seeing something.

Auditory: An auditory learner learns best by hearing something.

Kinesthetic: A kinesthetic learner learns best by doing something.

Everyone has certain circumstances under which they will prefer each of the three, but most people have one style that they prefer to do most of the time.

I think there is a fourth style: Multisensory learning. Meaning we need an explanation of things that includes hearing it but also seeing what is being explained to us.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2017, 6:23 pm

I consider myself a visual learner but really I need to hear an explanation as well as see what they are explaining and in some things also do what is being explained.

People have quoted things meaning that 'I do, I understand' but I think that is wrong. Maybe doing it lets you be able to continue doing it but I think it is backwards and that in reality it is 'I understand, I do'. I have to be able to understand something and then can do it.

I also have to be told what I am doing. Sounds strange but so many people explain how to do something but don't say the name of what they are explaining. So when they tell me to do it, I can't.

As I get older I seem to be more of an auditory learner and when I was younger it was more visual.

But to answer the OPs question, a Visual Learner learns better if they see what is being explained as opposed to just hearing an explanation.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

There is they way you learn, there is the way you think, and there is the way you communicate. Autistic and non autistic people each have a dominant way they learn: visually, auditorily, kinesthetically. Like what TG says about thinking, some people (autistic or not) think in pictures, some in words, some in patterns. People can communicate verbally, in writing, in non verbal gestures or movement, in music. Visual learning is that something goes into your brain by what you see. Different than visual thinking, playing movies in your head. Also different from visual communication, drawing.

I still think one main thing that separates autists from NTs is that NTs can streamline the way they process so all three steps are the same style. Autists seem to learn, think, and communicate in different styles at each step and need to do a lot of extra translating to process. For me, I know I am capable of streamlining, but I get totally distracted along the way by sensory info and can't focus like that since it's not the dominant way my brain wants to work.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2017, 7:01 pm

I can never learn just by having a picture presented to me. I need words to augment the picture.

I'm also a "kinesthetic" learner, since I do learn fairly well by "doing."