Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2017, 9:44 pm

What would you do? If it turned out that you could change anything without creating paradoxes because of whatever reason, what would you change?

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 12:31 pm

If it were possible, I would travel back in time to the 1980's in a way where history couldn't be altered, and I would be able to see and look around and explore the surroundings without any having any consequences.

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on October 3, 2017)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2017, 6:46 pm

I'd replace the author of the Gospel of Matthew. I would create a new version of Christianity with different values:

- Liberalism, including support for pre- and extra-marital sex, divorce, homosexuality, freedom of speech, and justice reform
- Free market capitalism, with genuinely free choices.
- Globalism and free trade. Disdain for national borders.
- Empiricism and valuing knowledge. Some basic scientific facts to get things started, including some verifiable using 2nd century technology but also basic medicine, electricity, and evolution.
- The equal value of all human beings, explicitly condemning sexism, ableism, and racism in all their forms as well as emphasising that wealth is often due to fortune rather than value. Emphasising the need to include the whole community in decision making.
- Acknowledgement and explanation that gender, race, and disability are social constructs.
- Secularism and tolerance of differing religious beliefs; actively encouraging free thought.
- Robust defence of your values.
- And of course, retaining Christianity's existing values for love, compassion, and charity.

That's probably the single thing you could do to best improve the world. Obviously ideally you'd repeat the process with other major religions but Christianity is by far the most popular and so the most capable of doing good.

Perhaps a more honest answer is that I'd give myself perfect instructions for investing in Bitcoin, and then betting on Leicester to win the 2015/16 Premier League title. With that money you could basically do anything. I think I'd hire all my friends and create a not-for-profit news website that spanned the whole world (although tailored for an English-speaking and particularly British audience).

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 8:09 pm

I would travel back in time to too places/times:

1. 1893 Chicago World's Fair
2. Eastern Germany before the fall of the wall

Both of these times/places/events are really interesting for me and I wish I could have seen them in person.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 9:04 pm

Go back to the Great Library at Alexandria in Greco Roman times, and bring with me a printing press with movable type to show the librarians how to mass produce their books. That and install a sprinkler system.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 9:10 pm

I wouldn't have come into this thread.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 2:50 am

Keladry wrote:

Both of these times/places/events are really interesting for me and I wish I could have seen them in person.

Whatcha out for the serial killer targeting young women.
Read devil in the white city if you’re curious

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

I would eliminate the following people: Ayn Rand and Lewis F. Powell Jr.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 11:37 am

I would go back to the 80s for the music and fashion.

(Not sure why this is in PPR)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2017, 11:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Go back to the Great Library at Alexandria in Greco Roman times, and bring with me a printing press with movable type to show the librarians how to mass produce their books. That and install a sprinkler system.

I love that! It's almost gut wrenching to think of all of that amazing literature destroyed. It would be amazing to be able to prevent it!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 1:58 pm

I'd drown Moses in the river. Friday, Saturday and Sunday resolved in one fell swoop.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 3:14 pm

sly279 wrote:
Keladry wrote:

Whatcha out for the serial killer targeting young women.
Read devil in the white city if you’re curious

Haha, yes, I've read it :) It was a great book - it combined two of my interests: World's Fairs and serial killers!!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 11:27 pm

I'd go back to Dallas, 11/22/1963, to see who, if anyone, was behind that grassy knoll.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 11:31 pm

Keep my country out of the first world war. Many of our woes today stem back to that bloody conflict and its second half, WW2.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 11:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'd go back to Dallas, 11/22/1963, to see who, if anyone, was behind that grassy knoll.

Why not save jfk?

Besides eliminating myself I wouldn’t unless I had a ship and shield that protected me from harm and temporal changes.
Might be interesting to visit and see history first hand.
Maybe try to change the future for the better.
Did Atlantis exist could just go back and see. Walk Ancient Rome etc.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2017, 11:39 pm

Mikah wrote:
Keep my country out of the first world war. Many of our woes today stem back to that bloody conflict and its second half, WW2.

To be sure, that war was a clusterf*ck that shouldn't have happened. Kaiser Wilhelm was hardly a genocidal monster like Hitler, and truthfully had only been pulled into the war due to his treaty with Austria-Hungary. I hardly think a continental Europe dominated by Imperial Germany for a few generations would have been comparable to the horrors of Nazism and communism - twin evils unleashed by WWI.