Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

akn90
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Sep 2017, 5:19 am

When it comes to the online tests (such as AQ, EQ, FQ), they don't provide diagnoses but rather statistical probabilities that someone might be autistic. So, that means there are plenty of people who score within the autistic range of things who are neurotypcial.

So my question is: what are some red flags that someone whose test results are more associated with being autistic than neurotypcial is in fact neurotypcial?

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 5:42 am

Counting out the obvious - that is, lack of an official diagnosis - the only one I can think of is if they overexaggerate their daily routine to be a sign of autism. After all, it's a very common autistic trait to my understanding, often to the point that even the slightest change to that routine can cause some serious problems. Which is not so much the case with NTs.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2017, 6:07 am

I base my suspicion of autism on symptoms that I remembered as a child and not on the test. In fact I was surprised when I took the test yesterday that I got 35 on the AQ when I usually score around 28, but in my defense I was sleepy when I retook the test. Might try again when I'm more awake. And as for FQ I scored below the average aspie but that could mean anything, and as for EQ I scored average aspie wise.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2017, 6:15 am

There is no sharp line between the autistic and neurotypical. It's a spectrum and autism spectrum meets the NT spectrum somewhere. The border is not well defined, not natural. The people near that border may get confused results and diagnoses.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2017, 6:41 am

Knowing the red flags would still be helpful though.

akn90

29 Sep 2017, 6:48 am

I don't really want to talk to my therapist about my childhood unless I'm pretty sure my suspicions are correct. If there are any obvious red flags and she tells me it's something else, then I'll have wasted a lot of energy making myself vulnerable in front of her. I don't want to make an ass of myself.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2017, 7:04 am

akn90 wrote:
I don't really want to talk to my therapist about my childhood unless I'm pretty sure my suspicions are correct. If there are any obvious red flags and she tells me it's something else, then I'll have wasted a lot of energy making myself vulnerable in front of her. I don't want to make an ass of myself.

I thought one of the base requirements for effective therapy is to be vulnerable in front of the therapist. If you don't trust her enough to talk about your childhood, maybe you should look for another therapist?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 7:14 am

It's too complicated. It has something to do with the mind and body, and it's relationship, regardless it's outcome from of those factors.
Only something biological and live, like, brain scanning, or certain tests that are accompanied by something similar would certainly do the job -- not 'just' some tests, online or otherwise.

All I know is that it has little to do with results of circumstances, preferences, upbringing, inclinations, functioning level, milestones reached or achieved, behaviors, levels of competence or aptitude, actions done, personalities, outlook, lifestyles, maturity, and so on -- those that are only accountable by the odds of likely/unlikely of being autistic/allistic. :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

akn90

29 Sep 2017, 7:15 am

magz wrote:
akn90 wrote:

I thought one of the base requirements for effective therapy is to be vulnerable in front of the therapist. If you don't trust her enough to talk about your childhood, maybe you should look for another therapist?
I've had many therapists throughout the years. Never felt comfortable talking about my childhood or a lot of different kinds of feelings. There were enough issues in the day-to-day that I focused on that I don't know if it mattered.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2017, 7:26 am

When I started to tell my therapist about the difficulties I had as a child, she
1. told me about the AS, because I never suspected it in myself before (despite being familiar with the term);
2. was able to understand me better, talk to me the way I understood and ask the right questions.

If your childhood is bothering you, IMO you should definitely talk about it.

akn90

29 Sep 2017, 7:38 am

My childhood doesn't actively bother me, it's just something I don't talk about and don't talk about. I'd have to talk about it, though, if I brought up ASD.