Do you think Columbus Day should be celebrated?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:39 am

I have been hearing protests about Columbus and South Park made an episode about it and I even googled him to see why this was so controversial. I saw he was not a good person so people do make a point about not wanting this to be a holiday. Though this has been made into a federal holiday in 1937, not all places celebrate it like my work building is still open that day and it's a federal building. My son's school won't be celebrating it either because they will still be open that day.

Also why are we hearing about this now? Have people always protested the statue and the holiday? Why now than before?

Does anyone here actually celebrate it or no?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 8:53 am

League_Girl wrote:
I have been hearing protests about Columbus and South Park made an episode about it and I even googled him to see why this was so controversial. I saw he was not a good person so people do make a point about not wanting this to be a holiday. Though this has been made into a federal holiday in 1937, not all places celebrate it like my work building is still open that day and it's a federal building. My son's school won't be celebrating it either because they will still be open that day.

Also why are we hearing about this now? Have people always protested the statue and the holiday? Why now than before?

I never had that day off from work but school was closed. Columbus Day is a Federal Holiday and they have a big parade in New York every year.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 9:12 am

Quote:
DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — The City Council has decided Davenport will mark Indigenous Peoples Day on Oct. 9, not Columbus Day.
The Quad-City Times reports that the council made the proclamation at its meeting Wednesday at the request of the Native American Coalition of the Quad-Cities.

Coalition President Regina Tsosie and board member Tom Morrell approached the city through its Civil Rights Commission last month about petitioning for the proclamation. They shared their concerns about celebrating Christopher Columbus and the history of mistreatment of Native Americans locally.

Indigenous Peoples Day began in 1977 at the United Nations-sponsored International Conference on Discrimination Against Indigenous Populations in the America.

Davenport changes Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day

I do not see how Columbus could be blamed for the eventual mistreatment of indigenous people, but I can understand why the celebration of "Columbus Day" would be perceived as celebration of the beginning of an invasion.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 1:46 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I never had that day off from work but school was closed. Columbus Day is a Federal Holiday and they have a big parade in New York every year.

That has been a problem for parents. You kids have no school but you have to work so what to do about the kids when you have to go to work? Either call in sick or find a baby sitter and if your kids are old enough to be home by themselves, have them watch their younger siblings for the day and pay them if you are not that poor.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2017, 6:10 pm

Columbus Day is widely celebrated in the Italian-American community, similar to the Irish and St. Patrick's Day.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:32 pm

I don't celebrate Columbus Day because I live in Canada. Instead we celebrate Thanksgiving the second Monday in October.

I've known since I was a kid Columbus wasn't really the first European to sail to North America, it was probably some Vikings who came hundreds of years earlier to what is now Newfoundland. There might have been others even earlier than that. I guess North America didn't exist until some white guys discovered it. :roll:

I once read on Facebook that Columbus was a horrible greedy murderer that enslaved and killed natives, and that the Americans practically ranking him up there with Abe Lincoln and Martin Luther King is ridiculous. There are better explorers in history to have a holiday after them. But I guess any excuse for a holiday is a good one. I read that Christ wasn't even really born on December 25th according to the Bible, and Christmas is probably on that day due to connections to the Solstice and other winter-type events.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 9:36 pm

I don't care if anyone celebrates Columbus Day. We don't do it in our country anyway.

Besides, Leifur Eriksson discovered America hundreds of years prior to Columbus.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 1:40 pm

When I was in Grade 7 my social studies textbook contained a conversation by two Canadian kids discussing Columbus Day in the US. When one kid asked why the Americans don't just drop the name Columbus and name it after the first Viking to sail to North America instead, the other said it might be just because Columbus is easier to say and spell. Before then I did not think Americans would be that dumb.

Maybe call it Viking Day, or European White Guy Explorer day, I don't know. :lol:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Oct 2017, 2:31 am

I was never off from school or work for it so it's kind of pointless to me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition