If my music is too loud, you're too old.

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 6:17 am

The saying on that t-shirt has been around for a long time -- it's one of those bumper sticker things like "Visualize whirled peas."

It's meant to be one of those generational "nyah nyah" things you can print on button badges, bumper stickers, etc. and arises from the actually reality-based phenomenon of how some people actually experience changes in their hearing as they age, which make music harder to listen to at louder volumes because the ear has started to not perceive certain frequencies properly anymore, thus making certain music and certain volume levels unpleasant rather than enjoyable. And this can happen even to NTs.

Not all aging people will suffer from this, but many do develop these inner ear changes, making it such a well known "joke" about older people complaining about younger people's "loud" music.

Then you have people on the autism spectrum who can have auditory processing issues at any age, and may find certain volumes or types of music unbearable to have to hear.

The t-shirt saying is meant to be just a mean joke, though, and has been around for a long time.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 9:03 am

Musical quality is not measured by volume. I know people who have played every conceivable genre of music, from Classical to rap, way too loud, and it's painful.

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2017, 9:06 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
MarissaKay wrote:
My upstairs neighbor plays music with really heavy bass that rattles the floor and gives me a massive headache (sensory problems). I'm a trained singer who really knows how to project, so I retaliate by singing the cheesiest and most ridiculous pop songs at the top of my lungs. He usually either completely turns off his music or turns it down almost every time. It's awesome.

So basically, "If your music is loud, I'm louder".

LOL I LOVE that you can do this!!

If you ever run-out-of ideas, for what to sing, sing "Henry the Eighth, I Am"----if you're not familiar:

.....and, you've GOT TO pronounce it "Enery"! ! LOL

I am so doing that next time! Thanks for the suggestion! :D

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 9:11 am

Music with a heavy bass line gives me a headache and a funny feeling in my stomach.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 11:16 am

MarissaKay wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
MarissaKay wrote:
My upstairs neighbor plays music with really heavy bass that rattles the floor and gives me a massive headache (sensory problems). I'm a trained singer who really knows how to project, so I retaliate by singing the cheesiest and most ridiculous pop songs at the top of my lungs. He usually either completely turns off his music or turns it down almost every time. It's awesome.

If you ever run-out-of ideas, for what to sing, sing "Henry the Eighth, I Am"----if you're not familiar:

I am so doing that next time! Thanks for the suggestion! :D

LOL You're quite welcome!!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 11:27 am

I've always liked that song.....Henery, Henery the Eighth I am!! !! !! !! !

The funny thing is: like "Mrs Brown Has Got A Lovely Daughter," it did rather poorly in the UK, but were great hits in the US.

marcaevans
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Oct 2017, 11:59 am

Fun T-Shirt but realistically, loud music can bring upon sensory issues. Also, a study conducted by Chung et al (2005) found that 61% attending concerts and 43% clubs experienced tinnitus or hearing problems. This was based off a sample size of 9693. There is also a literature review conducted by Petrescu (2008) that found 20% of musicians have experienced noise-induced hearing loss.

Chung, J., Des Roches, C., Meunier, J. and Eavey, R. (2005) Evaluation of noise-induced hearing loss in young people using a web-based survey technique. Pediatrics. 115 (4)

Petrescu, N. (2008) Loud music listening. McGill Journal of Medicine. 11 (2)

Diagnosed ASD November 2016

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 12:02 pm

I've only attended a few concerts in my life. None of them involved loud rock music.

I once walked out of CBGB's (a very famous club in Greenwich Village, NYC, which played punk music in the 1970s-1980s) because of the sheer volume of the music.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 1:06 pm

If your music is too loud, when you're old you won't be able to enjoy music anymore, because you won't be able to hear it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 2:47 pm

My ears still seem to work acutely. So tone it down around me please..I still have hyperacusis and I'm not dead yet..

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 4:52 pm

B19

Exactly

More than once, I was in the bathroom when someone with music came in. Then got a headache and left before finishing

What is more reasonable, you have a right to play music in the bathroom, or I have a right to not get a headache :?:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 6:00 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
MarissaKay wrote:

I drove people crazy singing that over and over when I was 6.

And the following year this one

especially "na-na-na-ne-na-na-ne-na-na

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 7:29 pm

"Henery the Eighth, I am" was constantly played on the radio even around 1969.

Do you mean "Land of a Thousand Dances"; or "Nobody But Me," where they say "no" a lot, too--from 1967; Or "Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey from about 1969?