Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2017, 10:11 am

I didn't really know where to post this but I thought here would be as good as anywhere. I got diagnosed with ASD in June and came on here quite regularly for a few weeks but I haven't really bothered until the last week or two when I've been worrying about a PIP assessment. I've been having a good nosy around some of the forums and it feels so good reading about other people's experience and how it feels being autistic. It's such a relief, because I see that it's not just me. I wish there was so much understanding and people could just "get it" in the real world. It is liberating. I'm going to have to make more of a concerted effort to come on here because it is definitely good for me. I need to remember this.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say really :-)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 12:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2017, 3:23 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Hi good luck with your PIP.

Thanks, I need it

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 3:24 pm

Welcome aboard. All the best.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2017, 6:37 pm

Hello and welcome

BBC: Radio 4

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2017, 5:08 am

LostGirI wrote:
I didn't really know where to post this but I thought here would be as good as anywhere. I got diagnosed with ASD in June and came on here quite regularly for a few weeks but I haven't really bothered until the last week or two when I've been worrying about a PIP assessment. I've been having a good nosy around some of the forums and it feels so good reading about other people's experience and how it feels being autistic. It's such a relief, because I see that it's not just me. I wish there was so much understanding and people could just "get it" in the real world. It is liberating. I'm going to have to make more of a concerted effort to come on here because it is definitely good for me. I need to remember this.

I'm also VERY glad to have found these forums. I had a very late diagnosis, I'm 42 now and diagnosed only 3 months ago so the severity of my situation almost spiraled out of control as I have Severe High Functioning Asperger's Syndrome. My therapists tell me that the higher the IQ, the more severe the diagnosis and the extreme emotional responses are usually worse and can intimidate many people. My IQ has been tested at 160.

My therapists have been great but because of the severity of my situation, I need a great deal of support from several different sources. These forums are one source, thank God. But I'm also incontinent, I have two therapists, I take several different drugs, I have a cleaning lady and personal assistant, I have an Autism support dog, and I need to stay away from the big city and in a small town so I don't experience too many meltdowns from over-stimulation, etc.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Oct 2017, 12:01 pm

xatrix26 wrote:
LostGirI wrote:

I'm also VERY glad to have found these forums. I had a very late diagnosis, I'm 42 now and diagnosed only 3 months ago so the severity of my situation almost spiraled out of control as I have Severe High Functioning Asperger's Syndrome. My therapists tell me that the higher the IQ, the more severe the diagnosis and the extreme emotional responses are usually worse and can intimidate many people. My IQ has been tested at 160.

My therapists have been great but because of the severity of my situation, I need a great deal of support from several different sources. These forums are one source, thank God. But I'm also incontinent, I have two therapists, I take several different drugs, I have a cleaning lady and personal assistant, I have an Autism support dog, and I need to stay away from the big city and in a small town so I don't experience too many meltdowns from over-stimulation, etc.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 1:29 pm

Hi! Is your username from the TV show Lost Girl?

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

LostGirI
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm

Hello, no it isnt

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:07 pm

lostgirl wrote:
Lostgirl: Welcome from another newbie and yes! Especially the bit about trying to be here more often because it helps.
xatrix26 wrote:

Xatrix: IBD? IBD/IBS seems to travel with ASDs, I was diagnosed with IBS in my 20s (and with Asperger's at age 55!) and I think the IBS affected my life even more than my Asperger's. Which is to say, a lot, and is also to say, I can relate. Also can relate to the importance of animals - kitties, for me. And the more time I spend on this site, the less alone I feel. I wish that for you too.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 3:02 am

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Xatrix: IBD? IBD/IBS seems to travel with ASDs, I was diagnosed with IBS in my 20s (and with Asperger's at age 55!) and I think the IBS affected my life even more than my Asperger's. Which is to say, a lot, and is also to say, I can relate. Also can relate to the importance of animals - kitties, for me. And the more time I spend on this site, the less alone I feel. I wish that for you too.

IBD/IBS has been diagnosed as the cause of my incontinence and I am managing it with drugs and therapy and other influences as well. The ASD is a major and common factor, yes. But much of my anxiety is caused by public bathrooms and I've been caught too many times without a bathroom nearby and had many accidents so adult diapers have been prescribed by my Doctor (GP) and both therapists. They are an effective way to manage the mechanical difficulties associated with IBD/IBS but also as a way to manage the psychological difficulties because of the huge amount of anxiety I have associated with toileting.

My overall anxiety related to being an Aspie has been described as "inconceivable".

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

themightysun
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Oct 2017, 4:53 pm

This place is so awesome. I'm also new, but don't feel comfortable starting a new topic for reasons that I'm sure I will try to discover (thinking about thought patterns and systems is one of my interests).

I'm just now discovering the extent of my ASD. I don't have a formal diagnosis, but the more I learn, the more my whole life seems to make sense. It's amazing to find a community that understands my experiences. I'm 35 years old, and have amassed a huge arsenal of behaviors to act NT in social settings, but it is a ton of work, and I'm not always up to the challenge, haha.

So yeah, I'm also loving this place.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 7:06 pm

themightysun wrote:
This place is so awesome. I'm also new, but don't feel comfortable starting a new topic for reasons that I'm sure I will try to discover (thinking about thought patterns and systems is one of my interests).

I'm just now discovering the extent of my ASD. I don't have a formal diagnosis, but the more I learn, the more my whole life seems to make sense. It's amazing to find a community that understands my experiences. I'm 35 years old, and have amassed a huge arsenal of behaviors to act NT in social settings, but it is a ton of work, and I'm not always up to the challenge, haha.

So yeah, I'm also loving this place.

Yeah this place is actually pretty awesome. I was diagnosed only quite recently and I managed to find these forums and they've been such a godsend to me. For all of us who are Autistic this place will help to keep you sane and the more honest you are the better.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2017, 8:33 am

Yes, trying to behave in a way acceptable to others takes so much concentration, it's exhausting, eventually I miss bits of whats going on in a conversation or around me and get accused of not paying attention. Now I know why, makes it easier to deal with. :)

JudahHanh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2017, 12:35 am

Yay. Welcome :) Glad you're here