Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 8:10 pm

70% dark chocolate is very good! Not as dry and bitter. I have a couple of squares every day.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 9:00 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
70% dark chocolate is very good! Not as dry and bitter. I have a couple of squares every day.

Thanks! I didn't know anything about the percentages. I'll try that!

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 11:29 pm

Oh my Lord. I'm nauseated. I was craving sugar and ate more of that dark chocolate and I just can't take it. I don't know if I can do without sugar.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:16 am

Keep up the good work.

Don't worry, your body is so used to all the sugar from the low fat products that it's probably going through a withdrawal process now. Expect mood swings and cravings for a while, and they'll disappear. Consider yourself a recovering junkie :wink: Seriously, sugar is incredibly addictive.

I agree that this low fat diet is bad for you. From what you describe, you're eating too much processed food. Highly processed food is poor in both nutrients and essential bacteria.

I'm not sure your friend's diet is the perfect diet either. There are a lot of health problems related to these high fat, high protein diets. Also, protein shakes? Not great for your liver.

There is so much junk science out there when it comes to nutrition, mainly because nutrition is a very complex field, and studies tend to look at isolated areas of nutrition, meaning that they can be simultaneously correct and completely useless for all practical purposes.

If there is one thing I could recommend you, it's to read one of Michal Pollan's books on food, particularly In Defense of Food or Food Rules. What is so great about them is that they look at diets from a historical perspective, explore food traditions and weaknesses in nutrition science. One of Pollan's points is that humans have developed food traditions over centuries, and that they have good reasons for being the way they are.

As for the energy in - energy out formula, it's an oversimplification. A Danish study published in Journal of Obesity found that people with high levels of Prevotella bacteria in their gut lose weight much easier than people with high levels of Bacteroides bacteriea. A quick google search found that Prevotella bacteria is more common in people who eat a highly plant based diet - which was the common diet almost everywhere on the planet a 150 years ago.

And yes, having a high stress job like yours makes your body cling on to its fat for dear life.

Sugar is the worst though. It's linked to just about every possible health problem imaginable. Sarah Wilson has an interesting diet/cookbook called I Quit Sugar. There is a web site as well. She is pretty neurotic and cites a lot of questionable studies in her pursuit of a sugar free lifestyle, but what is great is the step by step system for eliminating sugar from your diet. What makes her believable is that she quit sugar in order to manage a nasty thyroid condition, and it seems to be helping.

This became a text wall, but the issue is complex, and just pursuing weight loss without considering other health aspects is damaging. I think educating oneself on nutrition is a life skill that is necessary in the modern world.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:40 am

Well, let me tell you what is happening now. I usually go to bed and have a protein bar with my tea and tonight, I 'm just having my tea with a little stick of honey. I'm not craving that protein bar at all. It's like it would be too sweet. That has never happened.

My problem will be at work tomorrow because I always have one of those fireballs in my mouth. And I also have lemon heads too. I don't want to give up fire balls

Darn, I flunked.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:47 am

nurseangela wrote:
Well, let me tell you what is happening now. I usually go to bed and have a protein bar with my tea and tonight, I 'm just having my tea with a little stick of honey. I'm not craving that protein bar at all. It's like it would be too sweet. That has never happened.

My problem will be at work tomorrow because I always have one of those fireballs in my mouth. And I also have lemon heads too. I don't want to give up fire balls

What on Earth is a fireball? And a lemon head? 8O I'm assuming I shouldn't be taking this literally.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:56 am

Meanwhile, in Japan:

https://www.boredpanda.com/hospital-foo ... mpaign=SAW

I think the Japanese know something about healthy eating. Obesity doesn't seem to be much of a problem for them.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:57 am

underwater wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

What on Earth is a fireball? And a lemon head? 8O I'm assuming I shouldn't be taking this literally.

Candy that is delicious. Amazon has them but I usually get a CVS coupon and buy all of their inventory. :mrgreen:

I went on Amazon and found new protein bars by Quest that have less than a gram of sugar and has great ratings. I'm just going to try one box and see how it is. The protein bars I have now are Power Bars and they have 30 grams of sugar! I cancelled my subscription for those.

Darn, I flunked.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:14 am

Dark chocolate is VERY calorie dense. I personally don't like it for fat loss.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 4:26 am

I am not saying eat thousands of grams of sugar everyday, but the sugar hypothesis as it stands is incomplete and useless.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11477496

Saying protein shakes are bad for you liver, is like saying eating greek yoghurt is bad for your liver, it makes no sense.
Protein is incredibly important for weight loss because 1: it preserves muscle and bone mass. 2: It's very filling. 3: it's thermogenic.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 11:02 pm

There went my diet - or way of life. Someone brought in my favorite cookies and that was all she wrote. I knew work was going to be a problem

Crap.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 2:12 am

I'm back on the horse again - sugar free hot chocolate. :mrgreen:

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 8:24 am

I fell off the horse again Someone brought in a bunch of candy bars this morning. Horse sh!t.

Darn, I flunked.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 8:29 am

Candy bar or not, if you are not in a calorie surplus it is not possible to gain fat. A single candy bar will not put you in a calorie surplus.

Feeling bad about yourself everytime you eat sugar very often result in eating disorders.

All studies I've seen show that people with a flexible approach to dieting are most likely to succeed, most likely to keep the weight off, and least likely to develop eating disorders.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 3:12 pm

Most of what Closet Genious says is correct; unless you have some kind of medical problem, you don't need a special diet to lose weight. You just need to consume fewer calories than you burn. A high fat diet won't necessarily cause weight loss.

Macros (fat, protein, and carbs) can, however, affect how easily you maintain your diet. I for example would struggle to stick to a high fat or low carb diet because I feel most satiated on a high fiber (high complex carb) diet. I lost 18 lbs. eating almost nothing but oat bran, brown rice, potatoes, and vegetables every day. I am a mesomorph and I lift weights, so eating low protein doesn't affect my muscle mass much.

Basically, you have to figure out what is easiest for you: do you feel satisfied eating lots of fat? What is your body type, your medical and nutritional needs? Like I said, though, these considerations make the diet easier; to actually make it work (to lose weight) you simply need a caloric deficit. People have lost weight on junk food diets.