How many Trump supporters can be persuaded?

Page 7 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 11:28 pm

EzraS wrote:
I've heard plausible arguments based on recorded history saying the civil war was and was not over slavery. My take is that the truth is somewhere in the muddy middle.

But who were those making arguments that the war was not about slavery? Did they harbor certain regional and/or ideological prejudices that they might want to back up?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 11:52 pm

If you want to split from your country, you have to send a letter giving your reasons. It's the American Way. Go read the letters which the Confederate States sent to the Feds. Most explicitly state that the reason is to preserve slavery. The others were more discreet. They refer to the uniquely Southern way of life, which completely relied on slavery.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 1:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I've heard plausible arguments based on recorded history saying the civil war was and was not over slavery. My take is that the truth is somewhere in the muddy middle.

But who were those making arguments that the war was not about slavery? Did they harbor certain regional and/or ideological prejudices that they might want to back up?

Not as far as I know. But I was more interested in the evedence that was presented.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:10 am

EzraS wrote:
The middle class / working class will know based on what's coming out of their pocket, which is true and which is false, no matter what CNN claims.

my present tax rate is 10% so no matter what that right wing propaganda spout forbes says, I will get a 1/5th higher tax rate courtesy of #45 and his minions.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 2:49 am

auntblabby wrote:
EzraS wrote:
The middle class / working class will know based on what's coming out of their pocket, which is true and which is false, no matter what CNN claims.

my present tax rate is 10% so no matter what that right wing propaganda spout forbes says, I will get a 1/5th higher tax rate courtesy of #45 and his minions.

It's possible.

However, you would have to be 65+ years old, and make between $12,001-$22000

Otherwise, the increased $12,000 standard deduction, or the lowered 15% bracket would more than offset that extra 2%.

If you don't itemize, and are younger than 65, or make less than $12,000 or make more than $22,000 than you're a winner.

My mom, +65 years old, works a low wage job, with her pension and Social Security income, she'll get an extra $1800, thanks to the lower brackets.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 4:09 am

what if you make between $12k and $22k?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 4:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
what if you make between $12k and $22k?

My question to that would be what breaks such as subsidized health insurance to free healthcare, low rent housing, ebt, and the like, do those who make 22k or less get compared to others?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 12:43 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
'Aww, it's not my fault I killed millions of people with this gun, someone else had the gun before me...' Get a bloody grip!! ! Forget the treason part too did you?
Yes, he was a white supremacist who wanted blacks sent back to Africa, he used the slavery issue as propaganda.
See things get twisted out of proportion as time goes by, it'd be like saying the Iraq war was because Saddam had WMD'S. But luckily people are starting to learn.

What sources support your view of Lincoln? Please, legitimate sources, not any of that pro Confederate and secessionist BS. That stuff is entirely pseudo history written to support a white supremacist narrative.

I couldn't find the speech, I remember posting it before when we were speaking about it though.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 3:12 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
'Aww, it's not my fault I killed millions of people with this gun, someone else had the gun before me...' Get a bloody grip!! ! Forget the treason part too did you?
Yes, he was a white supremacist who wanted blacks sent back to Africa, he used the slavery issue as propaganda.
See things get twisted out of proportion as time goes by, it'd be like saying the Iraq war was because Saddam had WMD'S. But luckily people are starting to learn.

What sources support your view of Lincoln? Please, legitimate sources, not any of that pro Confederate and secessionist BS. That stuff is entirely pseudo history written to support a white supremacist narrative.

I couldn't find the speech, I remember posting it before when we were speaking about it though.

I truthfully don't doubt that Lincoln had said something like that... at one time, as he had entertained that notion. But he changed and grew as a President and as a human being so that by the end of his life he had reversed those ideas. So Lincoln's legacy of liberty is what really matters in the end.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 6:47 pm

They can support whoever they want. I just want them to be persuaded to stop acting like jerks.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 8:28 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
They can support whoever they want. I just want them to be persuaded to stop acting like jerks.

I think you've got that backwards.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 7:33 am

You mean they can be jerks to whoever they want? That's hardly an improvement.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 8:21 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
You mean they can be jerks to whoever they want? That's hardly an improvement.

No I mean it seems that the non-supporters have been the ones acting like jerks verbally and physically attacking supporters. Put another way, would you feel safe going out in public wearing something pro-trump or would you expect to get ganged up on and attacked?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 12:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

I truthfully don't doubt that Lincoln had said something like that... at one time, as he had entertained that notion. But he changed and grew as a President and as a human being so that by the end of his life he had reversed those ideas. So Lincoln's legacy of liberty is what really matters in the end.

The truth should matter, not this Hollywood fantasy version of him.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 1:21 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

The truth should matter, not this Hollywood fantasy version of him.

Are you denying that in his final speech he had said voting rights would be extended to blacks?

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2017, 2:32 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:

That's not going to happen because they support the ultimate jerk so many of them act like him.

I know what you mean though. There are bad apples in every group. Neurotypicals just suck in general a lot of times but the Trump supporters are often the worst. People say Justin Bieber fans are horrid..well they are Justin Bieber fans x 100 just in a different way I suppose.
One I encountered told me they were going to block me and called me a moron. There was another that laughed at me and used my own words against me saying oh well you're messed up in the brain so you don't know what you're talking about. They also said that it wasn't a big deal that I missed my house like I was just a whiner. Ironic considering who you support. Who has all the money handed to them and the job they wanted and is still complaining? Then there was another who acted like he was nice and wanted to see my point of view so I gave him a chance you know. I told him my story about how I was having trouble getting a job (this was when I was unemployed still) and he said something like "well if you have trouble doing certain things then of course no one is going to want to hire you why would they need you?" I mentioned to him about Trump doesn't have a filter either but he gets away with it and he was like "well of course that's okay because he is a businessman so he is worth more than you" This is actually very true and what I was already saying in my head but the way he said it was implying that he was okay with it and that I deserved to be unemployed because I am not neurotypical and not financially blessed.
I've had some awful people in my day but it takes a special kind of ignorance to tell someone they are not worth anything when they're already struggling simply because they have unique brain wiring.